Author Topic: WW2 deaths not listed  (Read 6269 times)

Offline Hogan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 deaths not listed
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 17:38 BST (UK) »
It is believed that up to 125 people died in the bombing.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
My grandma only ever referred to women of her generation by their maiden names. Her bridesmaid was always "Doris Woods", with her 50+ years of marriage to Joe Holmes never being acknowledged.

I think it's a generational thing, so may have been prevalent in Liverpool too.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Hogan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Mo your Charlotte is the correct one as the family say she had a little bot called Terry who died in the bombing. Her husband was killed at sea leaving her a widow.

I found this

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2787569

What a tragic story for this family

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hogan for putting me right.  :-[Good luck with the search. ;)

What an excellent well laid out site.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Hogan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
Ok I have found Rooney Byrde  :D

I talked to my relative and the story goes that Rooney died along with her 8 children in the bombing.

It was easy aft that.

ANDREW NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 3.
of 16 Adlington Street. Son of John Thomas Neary, and of Annie Neary. Died at Adlington Street.

ANNIE NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 38.
of 16 Adlington Street. Wife of John Thomas Neary. Died at Adlington Street.

CHARLES NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 11.
of 16 Adlington Street. Son of John Thomas Neary, and of Annie Neary. Died at Adlington Street.

GERARD NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 9.

JAMES NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 18.

KATHLEEN NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 14 Months.
of 16 Adlington Street. Daughter of John Thomas Neary, and of Annie Neary. Died at Adlington Street.

JOSEPH NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 15.

MARY NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 5.
of 16 Adlington Street. Daughter of John Thomas Neary, and of Annie Neary. Died at Adlington Street.

TERESA NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 7.

Annie Bird. Rooney must have been a nickname.

She married John Thomas Neary in 1922 in Liverpool. She is listed as
Annie Neary on the death list along with her 8 children.

Adlington street was right onto Lace street.

Such a tragic story.

Her husband remarried but had no children so their story had nobody to pass it down.

Thanks to my relative and you kind folk on here We can now keep their memory going. I will add this to the website in the next few days and pass on the link when its done.

Thank you all again.

Ant

Offline TomN

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 19:41 BST (UK) »
Ok I have found Rooney Byrde  :D

I talked to my relative and the story goes that Rooney died along with her 8 children in the bombing.

It was easy aft that.

ANDREW NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 3.

ANNIE NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 38.
of 16 Adlington Street. Wife of John Thomas Neary. Died at Adlington Street.

CHARLES NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 11.

GERARD NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 9.

JAMES NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 18.

KATHLEEN NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 14 Months.

JOSEPH NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 15.

MARY NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 5.

TERESA NEARY
died 13/03/1941, aged 7.

Annie Bird. Rooney must have been a nickname.

She married John Thomas Neary in 1922 in Liverpool. She is listed as
Annie Neary on the death list along with her 8 children.

Adlington street was right onto Lace street.

Such a tragic story.

Her husband remarried but had no children so their story had nobody to pass it down.

Thanks to my relative and you kind folk on here We can now keep their memory going. I will add this to the website in the next few days and pass on the link when its done.

Thank you all again.

Ant

Just to clarify a couple of facts:

John Neary was in the Royal Navy, serving on a ship covering the western approaches, when his family was killed in 1941. Subsequent to their loss in the blitz, he was seconded to a shore based training establishment in Liverpool (HMS Eaglet) for the rest of the war. I can only imagine what he must have been going through at this time?

But as stated, he did remarry a lady called Hannah Moore, who was a naval nurse, in early 1942. But not all his children were killed that night. His son Brian had been Ill with a flu, so was staying with his aunt Margaret, Aggie as she was known while recovering, so avoided the terrible fate that awaited his mam and siblings.

John, Hannah and Brian, were rehoused in Sydney Gardens just off Scotland Road. Where Johns new family was started with the arrival of his son Michael, born in December 1942. In the following years, they had another five children, Paul, John, Peter and another son, whose name escapes me right now? They also had a daughter, who was named Elizabeth. After the war ended, John became a Licenced Porter with the MDHC. His surviving son from his first family, Brian, went on to join the Army, before transferring to the Royal Marines, where he served with 40 Commando for many years. Virtually nothing has been heard from him since? His wife Hannah, died in 1956, leaving him to bring up the kids as a loan parent, until his own death in 1966.

The upshot of his terrible loss in March 41, was that he never really got over it, and ensured the children from his second family were aware of their loss...So they weren't ever forgotten!

My dad was Michael, and told us of the tragedy suffered by his dads first family.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 21:35 BST (UK) »
On Channel 19 now  (Yesterday Channel)   there is something on about the blitz,  in Coventry at the moment.   It talks about mass burials and combined funerals.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Tonymc9

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 March 16 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I have just returned from Ford Cemetary where my mum is buried, this grave is just on the left hand side as you drive in. I have been aware of it for many years but only just read up on the story which led me to this site.

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 March 16 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat Tonymc9,
There are lots of stories gradually revealed when you start investigating. This one is particularly tragic and now you know the details, I am sure, like most of us you will want to see that it's not forgotten.
If you want to continue researching your family, there are lots of people on this site who can help.
Best wishes,
Joney
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton