Author Topic: Frank Tilsley, Author 1904-1957  (Read 5179 times)

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
Frank Tilsley, Author 1904-1957
« on: Tuesday 27 September 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
I have just found out that Frank Tilsley is my mother's first cousin once removed and he wrote several novels and even had a film made of one of his books, HMS Defiant starring Alec Guinness and Dirk Bogarde.  The film is based on his novel, Mutiny.

The only info I can find on him is the date of his birth and death which tie in with what I have but what I have is only the year but the quarters registered tie in with the dates  so I'm pretty sure its the same man.

Where can I find more details about him?  I have Googled like mad but can't find anything else. 

Anyone got any ideas or even know of him?

Ta  :)
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Tilsley, Author 1904-1957
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 13:57 BST (UK) »
He appears to have been born in Levenshulme.son of William Tilsley and  Emma Louisa Bennett
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Woody32

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
1901 Census for his his parents and siblings living in Levenshulme

William Tillsey 36 b Nantwich  Tailors Cutter
Emily L Tillsey 34 b Leicester
John F Tillsey 11
Doris Tillsey 7
Vincent Tillsey 5
Iris Tillsey 3

RG13 Piece 3692 Folio 80 Page 28
LANCASHIRE = Wood,Howard,,Smethurst,Foxall,Cheetham,Brookes,Grime, Horrocks,Thornley,Arstall,Shawcross,Rowland,Mclean LINCOLNSHIRE = Featherstone Johnson,Toyne,Willson,

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
thanks for that folks.  I had the census but was looking for a sort biography of him  :)
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
Does this help?
http://www.jrank.org/literature/pages/5993/Frank-Tilsley.html

Fabulous aghadowey, just what I was looking for!  I missed it before because I was on my phone  ::)

Offline Piaggio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 January 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Parmesan.
Blundered across this doing some of my own research.  Frank Tilsley was my grandfather. He was married to Clarissa Tilsley ( died 1997 ) and had two kids. My Dad Frank Vincent Tilsley ( Known as Vincent ) who died in 2013 but his Daughter Jill is still alive and kicking.
How did you get on with your reasearch??
Best wishes :)
Piaggio

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 January 15 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Cool!  Clarissa eh?  The probate record says 'Clarice'.  Always good to hear from someone who knows!

his relationship to me is 1st cousin twice removed.  My Uncle Stan, aged 91, has been collecting his books!

I have quite a lot of Tilsleys. My direct line if Tilsleys goes from great grandmother Jane died 1920 to John Tilsley 1813-1885 then John Tilsley 1769-1849 and so on.

Offline Piaggio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 January 15 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the amount of mis-spellings that seem to occur on various records going back through time I'm not surprised with Clarice at all. I have never attempted to go back on my Fathers side other than a quick glance one evening a few years back and have only just re-visited. I must say I've been pretty rubbish at it so far not really knowing what I'm doing. I never met Frank my grandfather as he died a couple of years before I was born and after that Clarissa became very reclusive so I never really met her either. She would always dodge visits preferring to write occasionally.
I didn't know until after my fathers death in 2013 that he was christened Frank Vincent Tilsley. He was always called Vincent. Your Uncle Stan may be interested that Vincent was also a writer. He finished off Franks last book thet he was working on when he died but was mainly a scriptwriter for the BBC and latterly ITV. He was very prolific in the 50's and 60's with Dr Findlays casebook, z-cars and the Prisoner amongst his work.  His last work was a book about 8 years ago called Holy Night.