Author Topic: Martha Sides and James Winter, Dearham, Cumberland  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Brian WA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Sides and James Winter, Dearham, Cumberland
« on: Tuesday 27 September 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on Martha Sides who was baptised on 14th May 1848 at St Mungo’s Dearham, Cumberland.
Martha was the daughter of William Sides and Elizabeth Sides (nee Penn).
Martha married a James Winter in 1864. James was born at Dearham in 1844.
They had three children all baptised at St Mungo’s between 1866 and 1877.
I lose track of the family after 1882 after their youngest child Ann Jane dies.
I would be grateful for any information on the above.
Thanks in advance
Brian

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Sides and James Winter, Dearham, Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian:

In 1881, it's just James (36), a Coal Miner,  Martha (32) and daughter Elizabeth (15) - Ann Jane dies 1882 -  what happened to the 3rd child you mention?

Lack of obvious appearance on Census plus BMD - wonder if they went overseas:

Steam Ship "British Princess"
departed Liverpool, Arrived Philadelphia on 1 Dec 1884

Martha WINTER 32, b England, last legal settlement: England, Occ: Wife
Eliza WINTER 15,  b England, last legal settlement: England,  Occ: Spinster

It was quite usual for a husband to travel ahead of wife & children. There are a lot of James WINTER's of the right age in the tight time frame heading to the US or Canada - may be hard to pin down a suspect for James.

I see, James was (probably?) baptised in December 1844, Dearham to parents James WINTER & Ann?

Long shot still….but I suspect Martha died in the US and James remarried, twice:

1900: Spangler Township, Cambria County, Pennsylvania - in a rented home:
Head: James WINTER,  52, b Nov 1847 England, English parents, immigrated 1884, in US 16 yrs, Naturalised. Occ: Fire Boss (this is a coal pit occupation). Has been married 5 years to:
Wife: Rebecca WINTER, 55, b Mar 1845 PA to parents b Ireland & Germany. Has birthed 6 children - 2 still living.
Dau: Violet WINTER 14, b Sep 1885 PA to parents b England
Lodger: Murray WEILEY 22, single, b 1878 PA to PA born parents, Occ: Teamster

1910: Spangler Township, Cambria County, Pennsylvania -  own home, freehold :
Head: James WINTERS 65, b England to England born parents, (no year of imm entered), Naturalised, Occ: Fire Boss, Coal Mine, Current wife is his third, married 5 years to:
Wife: Elzabeth WINTERS 69, b PA to PA born parents, her marriage to james is her 2nd, has birthed 6 children - 2 still living.

1920:  Spangler Township, Cambria County, Pennsylvania - in a own, freehold home:
Head: James WINTER 76, b England to English parents, imm 1881, naturalised 1890, Occ: Labourer, Coal Mine
Wife: Elizabeth WINTER 79, b PA to PA born parents

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Brian WA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 September 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Ambly.
Many thanks for the information on the Winter Family.

I had my suspicion that the family had emigrated but I was not sure where they had gone to. I have a subscription to Ancestry.Co.uk, but I could not find any trace of them emigrating. Should I be looking at any other Family History Websites?

Ann Winters the eldest child of Martha and James Winter died in 1872.
Martha Sides was the Sister of my wife’s Great Grandmother Sarah Sides.
We have managed to research the rest of the Sides family from 1790 up to the present day.

Many thanks for your help
Brian   

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 11 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian

Ancestry.uk sub doesn't include passenger lists for arrivals into the US - that's part of their Ancestry.com (world) sub - perhaps you could access this in a library?  The time frame for James travelling would be 1881-1884, if that is him in the Pennsylvania  and if that's your Martha travelling  December 1884.

Two things, the passenger manifests of that time, have little on them generally,  to identify a person - places of birth, names of relatives in the home country etc, not usually noted. If the Jamesin PA travelled alone, it's hard to say - and he could have gone into New York, PA, Canada etc. before making his way to PA.

Perhaps tracking down Naturalisation records in PA  could be a sratt - or marriage records?  I don't know too much abt finding those for PA though  - maybe a topic on the US board here at Rootschat will get some expert help!  I dont think Spangle tywp in Cambria Cty PA was a big place - maybe approaching their local library of history society would help?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 October 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
It's interesting that cumberlandroots.co.uk in its bishops transcripts for dearham doesnt record a marriage for william and elizabeth penn, In fact no record of william there or in neighbouring parishes as far as I can see. Plenty of Penns about and a few Sides in Dearham. You may wish to fish about yourself if you are interested in going backwards. bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline Brian WA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 October 11 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Ambly,
I have a ‘world wide’ subscription to Ancestry. Co which only allows you to look at voyages to New York.

Best regards
Brian

Offline Brian WA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 October 11 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hello bobgraham

I have a copy of the marriage certificate for William Sides and Elizabeth Penn they were married in 1838 at Dearham. I have researched both families back to 1770’s.
I am looking for information on their Daughter Martha Sides who married a James Winter.

Best Regards

Brian

Offline michael sides

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Brian ,
My name is Michael Sides. I live in Northern Ireland though my family originally settled in what is now the Republic of Ireland in the 17th century .My ancestors came to Ireland with Oliver Cromwell.
I was interested to read of Martha Sides and James Winter , Dearham Cumberland .I have been told that pre Cromwell we were based in Northern England, a general reference to Northumberland/ Cumbria has been mentioned over the years but no specifics . Would there be sources / records for the 1640's for that general area which might give a clue to the identity of men who left  for Ireland with Cromwell ? Would Martha Sides records contain any clues Re members who went to Ireland ?
Regards,
Michael Sides.