Author Topic: Fairley family from West Lothian  (Read 11056 times)

Offline MFKW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fairley family from West Lothian
« on: Wednesday 28 September 11 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just returned from my second visit this year to West Lothian to try to trace my Father's family. I have had some success but need gaps filling in. Anyone out there who knows a Fairley from that area I would be pleased to speak to you. They lived in Stoneyburn, Old Rows, Dykeside Loganlea so obviously were miners. My Grandfather was killed down Foulshiels pit in 1917. Look forward to hearing from you all.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Fairley family from West Lothian
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi MFKW

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

It might help people trying to recognise your family and connect with theirs if you added a little bit more detail in respect of names and family.

Also, people might be able to help you fill in some of the gaps that you mention you still have. A little bit more info would also help to understand what the gaps may be.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MFKW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 September 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
A few more details of the family I am looking for. My Father Peter Thomson Fairley was born in Addiewell in 1917. He was the youngest of 11 children. His Father was Eli James Fairley and his Mother was Joanna or Joan Thomson. They lived in Loganlea then Stoneyburn. Eli's Father was Henry Fairley and his Mother was Jane Heath. My Dad's siblings were: Maggie, Annie, Jane, Charles, William, Jim, John, Bruce, Eli and Henry. All, apart from John who moved down to Liverpool, lived in or around West Calder and districts. I've been into Linlithgow records office and found quite a bit of information but need to tie up some loose ends.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 11 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Your Eli James Fairley died 23/3/1917 aged 45, cause of death was Fracture of lumber vertibrae (broken back), I'd suspect an accident in the Pit.  He was interred in Section N Lair 14 of the Cemetery in West Calder (Burngrange),he lived in 13 Loganlea, Addiewell.  His funeral was arranged by William Fairley (brother?).  I've photographed this section of the cemetery and I'm sorry to say that there isn't a headstone.   Also in this lair are Eli Fairley, 21 East Street, Mossend, West Calder, died 14/10/1927, interred 17/10/1927 aged 1 day, COD Birth Debility, Premature, son of John Fairley.   Ellen Munro Fairley of 97 Stoneyburn, , died 19/7/1931 aged 13 months, interred 21/7/1931, grand-daughter of Mrs John Fairley, funeral arranged by William Fairley.  Finally, Joana Fairley died 20/2/1942 aged 66, interred 23/2/1942, she died at Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh.

Hope this is of some use.

cheers ....  Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline MFKW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Meg. I have Eli's death certificate and young Eli's, Ellen's and Joana's. I knew that he was killed in an accident in Foulshields pit. I have also visited the graves (the other one is Eli's Mother and Father, also in the same cemetery) I will be putting a headstone on in the future.
Could you tell me where you got the information from and whether you are a relative. I am still hoping to get in contact with cousins I have never met.
William was her son, Ellen's Dad.
If you have any other information I would love to know. Many thanks for your reply.
Margaret

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret,

I transcribed all the Burial Records for West Calder on behalf of West Lothian Family History Society, they launched a CD in April of this year with the information.    I've also spent some time photographing all the headstones in the various sections of the cemetery, and am in the process of transcribing them, I've done about 3,000 and more than that to go, my project for the dark winter nights when Christmas is past!!    I've done all of section M to T, so therefore knew there wasn't a stone.  My Grandparents and Gt Grandparents lived in East Street in Mossend also in Front Street, and I'm a Cauther born and bred.

Sorry not related, though we lived opposite a John (Jocky) & Jennie Fairley in Polbeth when I was young.

All the best .....  Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline MFKW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 18:09 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting job and what a memory you have. Good luck with it and All the best to you for Christmas and the New Year.
Margaret

Offline hazel2015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 July 15 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi , you have just named alot of our family members , including my husbands grandfather, who was killed in ww2, if you still need more info , please let me know ....

Offline hazel2015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 July 15 08:45 BST (UK) »
forgot to say that his name was Charles Brown Fairley , he married Agnes Redmond, they had one son Samuel Redmond ..there is a monument to my husbands g father in stoney burn along with a beaautiful headstone...Agnes Redmond , remarried a few years after his death to a walter Strickland , they had 3 boysdavid , alistair and robert