Author Topic: Annie O'Malley from Mayo  (Read 60452 times)

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie O'Malley from Mayo
« on: Thursday 29 September 11 03:57 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother, Annie O'Malley, came from County Mayo.  She was born 1888.  Roman Catholic. She had a brother Tom and other brothers but I do not know their names.  She had two sisters Kitt (not sure if this was Kathleen or Catherine) and Mary. Annie moved to Liverpool to work in her uncle Durkins butcher shop Not sure of the spelling or if that is given or surname.  1919 she went to US and married Joseph Peter Conboy in New Haven CT. They had relative there possibly Moran.  They then went to Buffalo NY where they lived for the remainder of their lives.  Annie's sister's later followed her to US. I don't know her parents names but I was told her mother was married to two unrelated men named O'Malley. The second died of TB.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie O'Malley from Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 September 11 08:34 BST (UK) »
You really need to check all possible records for more details in order to find the family in Ireland. For example, Connecticut marriage certificates list names of both parents. The first available Irish census is 1901 but it's not clear in your post when Annie moved to Liverpool- I had a quick look but couldn't find anyone the right age with siblings Thomas, Mary, Katherine/Kathleen in Co. Mayo.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 September 11 08:47 BST (UK) »
The passenger manifest for Annie O'Malley's arrival in U.S. given important information.

21 Oct.1919 "Vauban" arrived New York from Southampton, age 34, h-keeper, born Loussburgh, going to uncle Charles Moran 162 Plymouth St. New Haven, uncle Mr. P. Durkin 78 Soho St. L'pool. See www.ellisisland.org for full details.

Loussburgh is Louisburgh a small town in Co. Mayo (Kilgeever Parish, Westport Poor Law Union)- she may have been born there or in another townland in the area.

Going back to the 1901 census there are quite a few O'Malleys in Louisburgh but still can't see Annie and her family. It would be worth checking 1901 and 1911 English census records next.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 September 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
The problem I am running into in the US records is in the early days in the US her husband Joseph Peter took liberties with his identity. on the 1920 Census his surname is incorrect and she is listed as Anna.  I only found them because my Aunt told me what street they lived on before she was born and it was only two blocks long so I searched every record on that street.  On the 1930 census he has 3 children ( my father included ) he is using his correct name but gives incorrect years for his birth and immigration. He says 1913 for immigration but I have records of him as witness to marriages in Liverpool after that date. I believe probably 1916 is closer to the truth.

Thank you for the ship information. That is very helpful.

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 September 11 15:28 BST (UK) »
x

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 September 11 14:06 BST (UK) »
The problem I am running into in the US records is in the early days in the US her husband Joseph Peter took liberties with his identity. 

It's fairly common for surnames to be misspelled on the census, ages to fluctuate (seems particularly common with Irish immigrants), and dates of immigration to fluctuate.  The person giving the information might not have been literate or may have been unaware of the correct age/dates.  Sometimes people sailed back and forth, so the date they gave might not have been the most recent trip.

Do you know when Annie died?  A death certificate or an obituary might give further information.  If she lived long enough to be on the Social Security Death Index, you could try ordering her initial application as explained towards the bottom of this page:  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rwguide/lesson10.htm  This usually gives place of birth, parents' names, and other information.

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 September 11 15:58 BST (UK) »
I did check the social security index and she is not on it.  Nor is her husband Joseph Peter Conboy. He worked for the Railroad so that may be why he isn't on it.  She did not work outside the home until he died  in 1937.  Annie was born Sept 3, 1885 County Mayo was all I was told,  and died in Buffalo, NY 1946.

The info on the Vauban sounded like it must be her.

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 September 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
Everything about that shiplog seems right though