Author Topic: Annie O'Malley from Mayo  (Read 60476 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie O'Malley from Mayo
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 September 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Neither Annie nor her husband will be in the SSDI (Social Security Death Index)- online records cover period after her death.

I'm fairly certain the maifest entry in 1919 is the correct Annie O'Malley. Still not sure why you think that, and the baptismal record, aren't the correct person.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 September 11 18:14 BST (UK) »
The ship record seems spot on and I will continue looking for info based on that.

I did find the Charles Moran family of 162 Plymouth on the New Haven, Ct US  1920 Census

My grandmother had a sister Mary and a sister Kitt who joined her and lived with her in Buffalo. I have their pictures. Mary died of cancer and Kitt married and moved to Boston.

When I pull up Thady & Bridget Malley on 1901 Census they do not have a daughter Mary. Also I was told Annie had a brother Tom who went to work in Liverpool where my father met him during WWII.  This family doesn't have a son Tom and I can't find any family in Louisburgh with a father Thady and/or Mother Bridget (names from baptismal certificate of Annie from Kilgeever Parish)   that have children Annie, Mary & Tom 1901 or 1911 census.  So I am confused.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 September 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
Since you don't know the ages of Annie's siblings it's difficult to find them in the 1901 or 1911 Irish census (if they are still in Ireland- they could easily be in England or somewhere else at that point).

As I said at the start of this thread "You really need to check all possible records for more details in order to find the family in Ireland."

Forget about the Irish records for the moment and start tracing the siblings in the U.S. For example, Mary's death certificate should list names of both parents- if they are not Thady and Bridget then forget about that 1888 baptismal record for Anne.
Annie's marriage certificate should also list her parents' names. Details of parents on sister Kitt's marriage certificate should also be the same.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 September 11 18:43 BST (UK) »
You are right. I will try and find info on Mary & Kitt.  I have been having trouble finding Annie & Jos in the early days in US.  I believe Joseph may intentionally have been trying to hide his identity.  He came over before Annie & he were married with his brother in law who I know was using an assumed name in the US around the time of the Easter Rebellion. Family stories say he jumped ship in NY harbor.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 October 11 17:29 BST (UK) »
This may be of no use at all but there is a Patrick A Durkan 35 yrs with wife and child and a nephew James O' Malley 8 yrs. Patrick is a pig salesman.
I wonder if he is Uncle P Durkin?

1911 free index has a Patrick b 1866 which fits and I just tried looking for a Patrick b 1866 Louisburgh and Patrick Durkin is shown.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 October 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Could be correct I know at some point he owned or ran a butchershop in Liverpool.
Wouldn't be a stretch.  in 1871 the commercial directory of Liverpool does show a Butcher at 78 Soho St E.  Not him but at least I know the address was a butchershop

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 October 11 17:41 BST (UK) »
I Purchased Anne (nee O'Malley) Conboy death record . She died Dec. 30, 1945. It shows her father as William O'Malley and mother as Brigid Durkin (I know this could be the incorrect spelling) Shows DOB as Sept 3, 1885 birthplace Westport, Ireland.

1901 Census does not show William Malley or O'Malley with wife Bridget or Brigid. It may be he was already deceased.

I was told by my aunt, Annie's mother was was married twice. After her first husband died she married a second man also named O'Malley unrelated to her first husband.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 October 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Just for information - Irish census 1901 has a George and Bridget Dobbyn with stepdaughters Annie and Mary, living in High Street, Westport.
 I know you said Bridget married another Malley but thought I would mention it.
I can't see them in 1911.

Marriage Jan- March 1883 Westport vol 4, pg 391 - Bridget Durcan and William Malley amongst the spouses.

I can't find a Dobbyn/Malley marriage though.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 October 11 00:38 BST (UK) »
I found a transcription of Annie’s  Birth not the original.

Name:    Anne Malley  (prefixes were usually dropped it said)
DOB 3 September 1885
Address: Corry
District Louisburgh
Region: South Mayo
Father: William Malley
Mother: Bridget Durkan
Reference: 11-11

It said possible siblings:
Patrick             1887
Mary                1889
Catherine         1890
James               1892