Author Topic: Rev Joseph Ashton of Horton  (Read 15898 times)

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Joseph Ashton of Horton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 October 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this added information BumbleB ... knowing that Ann Frankland's father is George Frankland will certainly help connect the families when I eventually discover Joseph Ashton's marriage to Unknown Frankland. Your time in looking this up for me is appreciated.

Regards
patDEN in Western Australia

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 12:50 BST (UK) »
It doesn't seem as if the Rev Joseph attended either Oxford or Cambridge [contacted their Archives].  So now I am wondering if, indeed, he was a dissenting minister of some kind? 

Offline hjstort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
Looking at each UK Census I have only been able to locate one Rev. Joseph Ashton - born 1795, a Unitarian minister who trained in Manchester. He preached in Halifax from 1826 to 1829. From 1830 to 1856 he was based on Preston, Lancashire. In 1861 Census he is retired, living in Stockport, Cheshire with two siblings. He died in 1864.

I am beginning to wonder if Thomas William Ashton may have adopted a new identity on leaving the UK. Could he in fact be William Wilcock? Perhaps his brother Robert was aware of the new identity and he was responsible for the letter to your grandmother's father regarding Thomas William's continued existence. 

Probably a bit far fetched I know.

Dobson, Frankland, Oates, Sellar(s), Chadwick, Hardcastle, Cawthra, Vogel

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
I must say that I wondered if there was a name change in this scenario too but the letter from Joseph Ashton does not fit in with that theory does it?
Andrea

Offline hjstort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 16:01 BST (UK) »
Unless the letter was from someone (Robert?) using the name Joseph Ashton to maintain his half brother's "new" identity.

Dobson, Frankland, Oates, Sellar(s), Chadwick, Hardcastle, Cawthra, Vogel

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 19:13 BST (UK) »
Evening All ;D

I had also started to wonder about the name change as the Rev Joseph Ashton does not want to be found :-\

I have searched for Joseph Ashton as a Minister, Reverend, Curate, Sexton, Preacher, Vicar, Rector and anything else I can think of but alas nothing - does anyone else find it odd that a man who has what I would consider to be a public role within the community is nowhere to be found?

Are there any other clues on the letter ie content, postmark?

To add and my apologies if you have this already but whilst searching the National Archives of Australia I came across a couple of service records which might be of interest:-

Jack/John Ashton 16th Battalion Father Thomas William Ashton -  Religious Denomination C of E
Douglas Ashton 32 Battalion Father Thomas William Ashton - Religious Denomination Pres

Also I discovered that Alice Wilcock b 1864 Wibsey the daughter of Joseph and Hannah Ashton as shown in 1881
RG11 4603 7 7 married a George Henry Whike June 1885 Dist Bradford Y Vol 9b Pg290 they emigrate and can be found in the 1900/10/20/30 United States Federal Census in Canton Ward 1 Stark Ohio quite alot and more can be found on family search plus the baptism of their first son George Henry Whike bapt 1886 Methodist Great Horton York England and if you search for Alice Whike Ohio amongst the info you should also come across her parents names Joseph Wilcox and Hannah Lightower which I think should be Lightowler. They also appear here www.ellisisland.org

Not sure whether any of the above will help but it might assist you in your search for the very VERY elusive Rev Joseph Ashton ;D

All the best

Z :)

Hi Andrea - Yes I had noticed the other Wilcock family living next door but it was the bath of path conundrum I was having a problem with ;D

All the best

Z :)

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 04:27 BST (UK) »
Again, while I was sleeping ... and again, many thanks for all information and suggestions.

A couple of days ago my sister located a Rev Joseph Ashton at Brook St Chapel Knutsford Cheshire who was minister there between 1820-1826 and being desperate to find a Rev Joseph, I was nearly prepared to stretch the age limit and claim him.  Thanks to hjstort's information, I think he is probably the Rev Joseph who died in 1864.  BTW, hjstort, was this Rev Joseph married?

The name change possibilities considered by hjstort, Andrea & Z are interesting.  I have to admit I had not gone down this path, but after 20 years of trying to find the elusive Reverend and checking for Thomas William's birth 1850-1860 under all ASHTON name variants from HASHTON to ASTDON and back again, I am fast considering it!

To this end, I tried the free BMD index and discovered that while there no TW Frankland births, there were a couple of interesting Thomas William WILCOCK births:
1852 Sep Qtr:  Thomas William Wilcock b. Bradford Yks
1855 Sep Qtr:  Thomas William Wilcock b. Leeds Yks

It is so maddening I cannot locate any marriages to Joseph Ashton to either a FRANKLAND or WILCOCK.  I am wondering if perhaps there was no marriage  or if it occurred in a non-denominational church and wasn't registered centrally?

I will attach the Rev Joseph's letter in following post ... have to locate it!
Many thanks
patDEN

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 04:52 BST (UK) »
Will have to leave the attachment of the letter for now ... I have located it, but cannot seem to attach it onto this page... need to find out how!
patDEN

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
The Look Up boards do not take attachments.    You could put it on the main West Riding board with a link to show it belongs to this thread.  If you then lock it we won't get replies there as well.  That would confuse us even more!
No - forget that and I will move this thread to the main board - then it will all be together
Andrea