Author Topic: Rev Joseph Ashton of Horton  (Read 15899 times)

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Joseph Ashton of Horton
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 06 October 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks JenB ... I did wonder ...

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 06 October 11 11:00 BST (UK) »
There is a death of a Joseph Ashton Burrow aged 63 in the 1st quarter of 1881.  ???  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 06 October 11 13:03 BST (UK) »
Emanuel College state that Rev Joseph Ashton Borough was not a fellow/student of the College, nor could they find any evidence that he was a chaplain there, although the newspaper report indicates that this was probably the case.

Probably the death JenB mentions of a Joseph Ashton Burrow in 1881 is him.

Thanks to both Brian and JenB for this lead.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 06 October 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
He was a student there, according to the Cambridge Universtiy Alumni List, having 'migrated' there from Queen's College.

pens. at QUEENS', Dec. 6, 1833. Of Cumberland. Matric. Michs. 1834. Migrated to Emmanuel, Dec. 22, 1834; Scholar, 1835; B.A. 1838. Ord. deacon (Durham) Dec. 15, 1838; priest, July 4, 1840; C. of St Andrew's, Newcastle, 1838-41. Chaplain in the Royal Navy, 1841-56. Co-Principal of the Naval College of North Grove House, Southsea, in 1860. (Occurs in Crockford, 1860, as Ashton Burrow, but afterwards as Joseph Ashton; in Crockford, 1877-81, without address; disappears, 1882.) (Durham Ord. Bk.)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 06 October 11 23:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, JenB, for the information from the Cambridge University Alumni List ... possibly the archivist looked him up under Borough and not any name variants.  What a wonderful wealth of information is given about this Rev Joseph ... if only he was mine!

I am now seriously thinking of looking for any possible deaths for the Rev between Dec 1891 and say 1910.  I am also wondering about the possibility of Wills?

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 07 October 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi patDen

The only will I can find which might be of interest is that of Robert Wilcock - Probate 23 April 1927

Wilcock Robert of 12 Belvoir street Derby died 13 Feb 1927 at the Boundary house Derby Probate Derby 23 April to Martha Emily widow

Also to let you know I have found a couple of mentions for a Horton House:-
1861 - RG9 3328 23 40 Town Horton Civil Parish Bradford
1871 - RG10 4471 20 34 Civil Parish Horton although I think this is in a different location of Horton.
1881 - RG11 4458 30 6 Civil Parish Horton

And just to add as a matter of interest Joseph Wilcock and family in 1871 RG10 4471 6 6 appear in Dist 12 of the Enumeration Dist the same Dist as the Horton House found in 1871 as above - if this is the correct Horton House Joseph Wilcock and family are not that far away and although he appears in 1881 in Barnsley with his family his daughter Alice in 1885 has married George Whike in Bradford so maybe he returned to the area and free bmd has deaths of:-

Hannah Wilcock Mar 1890 Bradford Y Vol 9b Pg 44
Joseph Wilcock June 1895 Bradford Y Vol 9b Pg 70

Regards

Z :)

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 08 October 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Z

I cannot thank you enough for your input ... I am certainly starting to think outside the square!  I did start to try and pick out some likely suspects re the death of various Joseph Ashtons, but was forced to abandon the search as being too broad especially as I know very little about where he was born and his date of birth etc.

Based on your earlier suggestion, I am now starting to wonder, if in fact, William Wilcock b. ~ 1856 Bradford YKS might be the son of Joseph Ashton and either Ann or her sister, Unknown Frankland.  I realise that Ann was already married to Joseph Wilcock at the time of 'my' Thomas William's birth, but an affair could've occurred between Ann & Joseph and the result was William - who was reared by the Wilcock family.  Similarly, Joseph could've had an affair with Ann's sister and for some reason, Ann & her husband agreed to rear William. And as suggested earlier, perhaps William did not take on the name of his father until he was joining the Merchant Navy. Certainly the name of Frankland is within the family.  As my sister pointed out to me Thomas William's eldest son, Joseph William, named one of his sons, Frankland who was known as Frank.

By the 1881 Census, William Wilcock b. Bradford, son of Joseph Wilcock seems to have disappeared.  There are two William Wilcocks listed b. Bradford but they are sons of a John Wilcock in both instances. 

Thanks also Z for your interest in Horton House and locating it on the census.  My sister has also been busy trying to find out about Horton House and has come up with the following:
The draft conservation assessment for Little Horton Lane has a map showing the location of Horton House and another publication, a book called "Rambles Round Horton" by William Cudworth, published in 1886 contains a wonderful drawing of the House and also contains the following references:

p.93" Horton House remained in the hands of the Fitzgeralds until a short time ago when it was disposed of by public auction."  There is no mention of Joseph Ashton in the book.

p. 226 ".....the 'Ashton Dole' is a charity, the proceeds of which are derived from property left under the will of John Ashton in 1712 to be distributed 1/2 yearly among poor people of Horton above 60 years of age who are not in the receipt of Parish relief."

Back to the drawing board ... again many thanks
patDEN

Offline Greensleaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 03:10 BST (UK) »
Hi patDEN

think we might be barking up the same tree - literally. My Dad (now in his mid eighties) has asked me to track his mother's (deceased - Thyrza Victoria Ashton) side of the family. Her father appears to have been Thomas William Ashton, known to the family as a river boat Captain before moving to WA as farmer. His father Joseph Ashton, mother unknown Frankland.

new to rootschat - only registered in attempt to have conversation with you.

what side of the family are you coming from? ie which sibling of Thomas William Ashton?

would like to link you up with my Dad and understand that we are unable to do that through this channel. not sure how to approach it any other way. Dad very keen to put the pieces together, whilst he still can.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Greensleeves and welcome
If you make a couple more posts you can use our personal message system to exchange information, by clicking on the green scroll under a poster's name.  Just reply to this to activate it.
Regards
Andrea