Author Topic: Electoral Roll; Capricornia for STEWART, LANE  (Read 1450 times)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Electoral Roll; Capricornia for STEWART, LANE
« on: Tuesday 04 October 11 01:16 BST (UK) »
Could I please have a lookup on the Australian Electoral Roll for the address of the following:

1903 - 1908  Capricornia, Yeppoon

James Charles Stewart
James Lane

According to the latter's obituary, James Lane lived on Senator Stewart's property, and dropped dead suddenly in Stewart's presence.  Thank you, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Roll; Capricornia for Stewart, Lane
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have looked at the 1905 and the 1908 Rolls.  I can clearly see James Charles STEWART, farmer at Yeppoon.  In 1908 his entry reads :  Stewart, James Charles, M.P., Yeppoon, farmer.   I have then looked for your James Lane, but I have not found him.  That does NOT mean he was not there, it simply means he was not on the electoral roll.  In that era, it was not compulsory to enrol, nor was it necessary for a more detailed address to be provided, afterall, in 1908 there were only 2701 enrolled for that entire section (sub-division of Rockhampton North) of the Electorate (Division) of Capricornia.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Roll; Capricornia for Stewart, Lane
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 04:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt reply and help.  Death cert for James Lane gives only Yeppoon as the address too. Thanks, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Imogen555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Roll; Capricornia for STEWART, LANE
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Gazania,
I am James Charles Stewart great-great-granddaughter.  The property belonging to him at that time was called Mount Stewart, on Adelaide Park Road in Yeppoon.  It later became St Faith's School, and photographs can be found online.

Hope this is useful!

Hester
Coley / Norris / Quigley-Tweedie / McIntyre / Stewart / McLeod / Adamson / Munsie / Trenholm

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt reply and help.  Death cert for James Lane gives only Yeppoon as the address too. Thanks, Gazania

I haven't been to Yeppoon for many years, but I think that in the 1905-1908 era, just 'Yeppoon' would have been sufficient address to find anyone who lived there.     :P  :P    :P    :P

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Hester,

Very good to hear from you.  Until I read the obit of my great grand father, James Lane, I knew very little about him apart from a few family stories.  His death cert says he died suddenly & was buried at Yeppoon. I knew his daughter was a teacher at a nearby school and his second wife, who was much younger than he was at Mt Morgan at this time.  I did have a Rockhampton address from a letter. But until just before his death, he and his family always lived in Brisbane so his death cert info was a bit of a surprise.  With recent indexing of newspapers on Trove, I found his obit, which gave me a connection to Senator Stewart.  I was not sure whether James was staying/working on the Senator's property, (James had been a landscape gardener/nurseryman), or had a political relationship.  I had also thought his politics were on the conservative side (certainly this was so when he lived in Bristol prior to migration) unlike his radical sons.  So the Obit was a bit of a surprise.

You can read the Obit here by typing in James Lane, date about 15 July 1908 confined to the "Worker".  (The full URL is too long to post.)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

Dawn, I agree that Yeppoon would have been a sufficient address in 1908.  Thanks for your interest.  Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey