Author Topic: Mozilla Firefox  (Read 11483 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Mozilla Firefox
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 October 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Strange thing happened tonight using Mozilla to access this site, it was taking over 5 minutes to flick from a page of unread posts to the next. I left Firefox, and used IE8 instead with add ons disabled, a transformation, pages per minute again insted of vice versa.IE8 wins for once.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 08:50 BST (UK) »
I tend to avoid add-ons (although I'd miss my Google toolbar !)  :)

I think they cause more trouble than anything else  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
BUT a few minutes ago around 17.40 I trtied to post a reply to a thread using IE 8, the counfounded thing wouldn't let me. I suspect though have no proof other than every other site I tried worked OK that the problem was here with Rootschat.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 01:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Nick for your guidance; I should like to free myself from Firefox freezes also. I see that one remedy is reloading FFox; if I did this would my bookmarks and remembered passwords remain? I rely heavily.
                         Pinot

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 10:02 BST (UK) »
I think that if you reload Firefox 'over the top' of your existing one, then all your bookmarks and settings will remain.  Of course, it's always possible that your bookmarks and settings could be the source of the problem, but it doesn't hurt to try  :)

P.S. You can import and export the bookmarks and settings between most browsers, so if you also have Internet Explorer, you could export settings to that for safekeeping.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Nick for your guidance; I should like to free myself from Firefox freezes also. I see that one remedy is reloading FFox; if I did this would my bookmarks and remembered passwords remain? I rely heavily.
                         Pinot

Pinot - I don't have saved passwords, but Firefox bookmarks are relatively easy to back up & restore (I've done it to take them from an old computer to a new one so I can vouch that it worked). On the menu follow