Author Topic: Immigrant to Sydney – John SIMPSON  (Read 13470 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrant to Sydney – John SIMPSON
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Again, familysearch org's new website

John SIMPSON born 30 July 1831, baptised 27 Nov 1831 at Maitland, parents John and Susan SIMPSON

Film of that baptism should also be at NSW SL.    

NSW BDM online index has several entries.  Official transcript copies provide the same details as the official documents and are cheaper, quicker etc.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline 2011E

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 00:10 GMT (UK) »
That's their marriage, yes. I can't either - I'm not in Sydney.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I am not one to spend my pennies, and I doubt if the NSW BDM cert will provide any family history info that is NOT already found on this thread.   The film will give the actual image, ie the signatures for them and their witnesses.  That would help confirm if they were both able to sign their names etc ... somewhat significant in linking them to the teachers in 1829 at Wallis Plains, but I think it very likely they were that couple, "Ewbank" is not exactly the most popular of given names !

I venture to Sydney and to the NSW SL perhaps twice a year, next time (ie mid 2012) I will try to find the film.  I have added this thread to my TO DO at NSWSL list, but hopefully other RChatters will have helped before then  :D 

Fingers crossed. 

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline 2011E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 00:23 GMT (UK) »
I agree. Thank you so much for that.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 00:29 GMT (UK) »

Name:    John Ewbank Simpson
Parents:    Thos Simpson
    Mary Simpson
Birth:    year
Baptism:    date - city, London

John Ewbank.  Son of Thos & Mary Simpson, was born 22 June 1801 and Chriftened 20 Augst 1802. Regiftered 8 Sepr1802 by me R F Clarke. 

St Michael Cornhill, City of London.

Cheers,  JM

Offline 2011E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Among the children of John Ewbank and Susan SIMPSON you will most likely have a son, also named John Ewbank.
I wonder if there is a connection to Susan’s family and perhaps School teaching continued through the children of John Ewbank and Susan SIMPSON (nee Baker). 

;) In the SMH 17 Jan 1880, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13453917 
Public Schools... The undermentioned gentlemen have been appointed to form the Public Schools Boards of the Public schools established at the places specified .....  Moonan Brook .... Messrs .... John Ewbank SIMPSON and Walter Samuel BAKER.   

;) In the SMH 16 Mar 1910 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15146176 
SCONE, Tuesday.  Mr. Walter Samuel Baker, of Moonanbrook, a prominent resident of the Upper Hunter for more than half a century, died suddenly on Sunday, aged 64

;) From NSW BDM online index
Marriage 1873 (ie civil registration)  Walter Samuel BAKER and Sarah SIMPSON registered in the Scone District.  #3832.   That m.c. should lead you to information about the parents of the bride and groom, but it is possible that there’s some blanks in the NSW BDM records for that marriage. Those blanks are not actually causing any brickwalls.  The clergyman conducting the marriage was required to record the names, the prospective couple’s ages, places of birth, occupations and  their respective parents names (including all former names of their mothers), occupations etc.  It is just that NSW BDM received only a summary of the parish record and may not have reconciled the rural records with that summary. 

;) From a SUBMITTED online tree, the date for that 1873 marriage at Scone is 11 Jan 1873, giving Sarah Simpson as born Whittingham NSW circa 1852 and Walter Samuel Baker as born circa 1846.

;D  ::)  ;D Hopefully I am not sidetracking too far from your original request, may I suggest you have a read of the thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html
and also the image at reply #12 of the thread giving example of the dreaded blanks http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,557757.10.html 

;) I speculate that Sarah BAKER, nee SIMPSON could be a granddaughter to John Ewbank and Susan SIMPSON and further speculate that  perhaps Walter Samuel BAKER may have been related to Susan Simpson nee Baker.   

Fingers crossed that somewhere along the line you will be able to find some clues re the birth place for the John Ewbank SIMPSON ex the William Shand of 1825.   I am not convinced that this thread has provided proof that he was the one baptised at St Michael Cornhill, London.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Back to the voyage of the William Shand

From a NSW General Muster for 1825 there is
William Cummings Jnr arriving 1822 on the William Shand
William Cummings, arriving 1822 on the William Shand, hotel keeper
Mrs Cummings, wife of William Cummings hotel keeper arriving 1824 on the William Shand... perhaps that is a clue as to John Ewbank SIMPSON ex the William Shand of 1825 and then being employed by William Cummings Hotel Keeper on the 1828 Census  ;D

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Re Susan BAKER ex Princess Royal of 1823 ... that was a convict transport with male prisoners from Ireland with a detachment of soldiers as guards onboard.

As she was aged 23 in 1828, then she was only a teenager when she came on that voyage.  Perhaps she was a daughter or a wife of a soldier surnamed BAKER on that voyage.

I will try to find further info.

Cheers,  JM