Author Topic: HALKERSTON family abdie fife  (Read 6644 times)

Offline halkerston

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HALKERSTON family abdie fife
« on: Saturday 07 May 05 02:01 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any info on Halkerston family pre 1800`s from berryhill farm abdie ,fife,cant find any info prior to that from parish records,any help would be great thanks

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HALKERSTON family abdie fife
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 05 02:26 BST (UK) »
Halkerston,

Could you provide some more details about what you already have (might help someone to help you).  I note that the name - many variant spellings - goes well back (into the beginning of the 1700s) in the Abdie records in IGI.  A search of the Rootsweb SCT-FIFE-L archives finds another suggested variant spelling namely Haxton (this variant doesn't seem to appear in the Abdie records).

JAP

Offline halkerston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 05 04:08 BST (UK) »
Yes Haxton was one of the spellings of our name infact my gggggrandfathers brother somehow managed to have his gravestone spelt this way although my gf did keep the original spelling they are both buried at abdie parish church,I have been able to go back to 1700 but seem to come to a halt ...although their are many halkerstons from fife prior to that date i cant find a connection also Edinburgh  had alot of halkerston family again diff to connect..thanks for your reply kathleen halkerston.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 May 05 05:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,
Perhaps it was easier to fit Haxton - as opposed to something like Haulkerstoune - on the gravestone  :)  Or perhaps they were paying by the letter  :o  Though I guess it's just that the stonemason chipped what he heard  :'(
JAP

Offline scrumsrus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mainly from both sides of Scottish Borders & Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,

I am researching the Halkerston's in Fife as well and have some from Abdie in my family tree.

Do these names / Dates mean anything to you ??

John Halkerston & Christian Stewart  (my 5great Grandparents)

William Halkerston b 1811
  James Halkerston b 1815
  Jean Halkerston b 1817
  Daniel Halkerston b1819
  John Forest Halkerston b1823
  Andrew Halkerston b 1825
  David Halkerston b 1828

William Halkerston married Mary Kirkaldy on 3 June 1826 in St.Andrews. (My 4Great Grandparents).

If these make sence to you do you have details of John & Christian's Marriage ???

I hope we can find a link.  I look forward to hearing from you in the very near future.

Regards & Best Wishes
Andy Stuart.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Direct surnames: Stuart, Lowes, Welsh/Welch, Purvis, Robertson, Scott, Halkerston, Middlemoss, Stothert, Brown, Arnot, Mather, Wilson, Kirkaldy, Hamilton, Geggie, Wood, Huntley, Parker, Pigas,  Hunter, Close, Douglas, Young, Robb, Hannah, Fraser, Brydon, Hill, Harrison, Paterson, Hall, Bell, McQuaker, Edgar, McKeand, Bruce, Cumming & variants of all the above and many other less direct relatives.

Offline halkerston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 05 00:54 BST (UK) »
yes i do have some info  my line is the james 1815    i think i have stuck at the same place as you i will go and check all my notes again..kath halkerston

Offline scrumsrus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mainly from both sides of Scottish Borders & Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath, It's been a while since I have been on RootsChat how are you related to this family? Maybe we can share info on their descendants
Direct surnames: Stuart, Lowes, Welsh/Welch, Purvis, Robertson, Scott, Halkerston, Middlemoss, Stothert, Brown, Arnot, Mather, Wilson, Kirkaldy, Hamilton, Geggie, Wood, Huntley, Parker, Pigas,  Hunter, Close, Douglas, Young, Robb, Hannah, Fraser, Brydon, Hill, Harrison, Paterson, Hall, Bell, McQuaker, Edgar, McKeand, Bruce, Cumming & variants of all the above and many other less direct relatives.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 13:45 GMT (UK) »
I used to be a great one for copying out scraps from old newspapers that caught my fancy, especially if they related to my family in some way, and you might be interested in this, from the Kelso Mail of May 6th 1808. In my own words - Lloyd's (the insurers) have paid £30 to William Halkerstone, farm servant at Abdie, Fife, only brother of Francis Fraser Halkerstone, carpenter on board HMS Phoebe, who fought at the Battle of Trafalgar and was drowned next day on board a French prize ship which sank.

A number of books about Trafalgar were published in 2005, the bicentenary year, and it might be worth checking if they have anything to say about the Phoebe.

The reason I copied out that story was that I believed then that I was descended on my mother's side from a couple called James Peebles and Janet Halkerston or Haxton. I now realise that I'm descended from James's brother Robert Peebles and his wife Ann Dewar.

For what it's worth, Janet Haxton was the daughter of William "Hakerstone" and Katherine Angus who were married in 1779 at Balmerino.

Harry

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scrumrus,

We are having problems notifying you of new replies to your topics at the moment, I will send you a private message so that I can help you fix the problem.

Welcome to RootsChat hdw ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk