Author Topic: Marlborough Street, Mountjoy, Dublin  (Read 8983 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: Marlborough Street, Mountjoy, Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 01:12 BST (UK) »
http://www.ihpc.ie/ihpc/Main/Enquiry.asp?iPictureID=13366&iTownID=1226&iCountyID=12

This is the street in 1932 with the congress bunting. Can only find the commercial version, though I'm sure if seen it somewhere else.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
Number 112 Marlborough Street was second from the end at Eden Quay, on the eastern side, and at the junction with Old Abbey Street

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Stephanie David

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 June 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
James Farrell is my great grandfather too. :-) The pub he owned no longer exists. It was one of the many central Dublin buildings blown up in the 1916 Rising. :-( The last thing I'm aware of is James Farrell's claim for compensation from the British government.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 June 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
https://britainfromabove.org.uk/ has some aerial images of Dublin in the 1950s which may be of interest to people. You can zoom in quite a lot.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline duffysean1967

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 August 23 13:51 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon all.

So here's the question hope you can help.

My great Grandfather John Duffy was the owner of a boot makers at 43 Marlborough Street Dublin in April 1916. He was forced to leave his shop due to the riffle fire during the uprising.

From google maps and visiting the street i cant find the number 43 and i wondered whether anyone has a photo or knows where i might find one.  Hope so . Thanks Sean Duffy

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 August 23 23:16 BST (UK) »
Looks like 43 and numbers 44, 45 and 46 were replaced by Telephone House, the link is to a An Bord Pleanála change of use application.
https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/315712

Gives you an idea where it was at least.
I assume you know his compensation file is online but just in case
http://centenaries.nationalarchives.ie/reels/plic/PLIC_1_1988.pdf

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 August 23 23:27 BST (UK) »
On Facebook Dublin Then and Now there is a photo of Telephone House and an old photo.
https://www.facebook.com/125602310976727/posts/marlborough-street/1033357040201245/

Have they lined up the two photos correctly I wouldn’t know.

Offline duffysean1967

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 August 23 23:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much. I've got his compensation application for losses during the disturbance. It's an amazing piece of history.

Can't seem to open the photos of the telephone building.. can you send me the link ?

Thanks Sean

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 11:39 BST (UK) »
This second (1932) photo of Marlborough Street is taken more or less from where the first one I posted was taken, but looking the other way, away from Parnell (Great Britain) Street - and probably taken earlier as the banners seem in better condition.
By my reckoning, number 43 would have been past the parked car, on the opposite side of the street.

Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344