Author Topic: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?  (Read 31337 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 October 11 11:11 BST (UK) »
Sandy,
Incredible, what else can I say...
I've also looked at the headstone you sent me via PM, and many, many thanks for that, too
Do these all exist in the London Road Cemetery?
I see from your own family interests that Cambridgeshire does not feature at all, but if ever you want anything looking into at the CCRO I'd be more than willing to get up there for you, as I feel greatly in your debt with the Dulley family.
As I've discovered has been the case with many families I've looked into, it just needed one dynamic, determined individual, possibly getting things going in the late 18thC, as in the case of David DULLEY, b.1773, and continuing through the early 19thC, building up some kind of successful business, then passing on the benefits and wealth to his next generation of sons and daughters and creating some kind of minor dynasty.
Brewers, factory owners, often Nonconformists too...
This has been enthralling, in no small measure thanks to your local knowledge of Wellingborough,
keith

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 October 11 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith.

Glad to help as always and thank you for your kind offer.

I am so glad I listed the little headstone of Harold Sanford Dulley
as my Hubby and I went all around the Cemetery again today to
get some better images (hopefully) and it is no longer there.

The graves are all in London Road and I found another 3 today
that I had not been able to see before.

I also got you loads more info on the family.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Will be in touch.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 October 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
Dear all!

Marilyn Ponting in Canada has just pointed me to your recent chat. I have been researching the Dulley family for sometime, as my daughter is one of the descendants of the eldest son of David Dulley (1773-1853), namely William Dulley (1797-1880), both of them being brewers of Wellingborough.

I am completely new to RootsChat, so I am not sure if I can send an attachment with such a reply. I tried to send two: one on David Dulley and his family and one on the family of William Dulley (1797-1880). It appears the RootsChat system does not like my one on the Dulleys of Bucks from whom they descend. When I tried to send two it also baulked, so I will just try to send one on David Dulley and family, as it said I was trying to upload too much. No, it did not even permit me to do that!

Living down in Sussex, I have had little opportunity for getting up to Wellingborough, but the Wellingborough Museum have some of my earlier texts on the Dulley family. I have not had the opportunity to wander round the gravestones up there.

Many people are unaware that the famous actor, Rex Harrison, is also descended from them.

It would appear that David Dulley only came to Rosehill Cottage late in his life.

Any feedback or corrections and additions are always appreciated.

Vincent

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 October 11 21:37 BST (UK) »
Sandy,
I'm always extremely aware about how important it is to take photographs when you can, talk to aging members of the family while they are still able to remember and tell their stories.
A while ago I went to Abney Park Nonconformist Cemetery in Stoke Newington, North London, and took a photo of my gt-grandparents KERSHAW's headstone.  When I returned just over a year later a tree that had been growing close by it had split the stone from one end to the other and only fragments of their memorial remained, lying on the ground where they had fallen.
Thanks again for preserving all that vital Wellingborough family history yourself,
regards, keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 October 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, Vincent, and welcome to Rootschat!
I think you have to post at least 3 times before you can receive or send PM's (Personal Messages), but it would be fascinating to discover where exactly you fit into the DULLEY family tree.  Which child of William DULLEY are you descended through.
As soon as you have posted those 3 times, I'm sure it will be entirely possibly to exchange  files and so on via PM, or by personal e-mails...
Very best wishes, keith
Vincent's and my penultimate posts must have crossed one another in the ether...

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 October 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith!

My daughter's mother is a great grand-daughter of Maria Dulley (1840-1919), who married Thomas Cook (1827-1900), Solicitor of Wellingborough.

Ironically, given the recent reply talking about Stoke Newington, it would appear that David Dulley got started in the brewery business in Wellingborough with finance from the Sandford family, who were running one of the largest breweries in London in Stoke Newington, at that time. Before that David Dulley had been an Excise Officer.

Vincent

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 October 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

How do these PMs work quite. I see there is a little green icon that signals up PM when you put the cursor on it, but how do I send an attachment?

William Dulley (1797-1880) had a daughter, Sara Dulley (1844-post-1908/pre-1919), who married Thomas Harrison (c1843-post-1901), who was a ship owner in Liverpool, and they had 7 sons and one daughter. Rex Harrison was Sara's grand-son, he describing her in his autobiography as "my eccentric grandmother Harrison, who lived in a grand house, Belle Vale Hall, Gateacre, Liverpool, with stables, tennis courts and a cricket ground, where she had brought up her large family of seven boys and a girl ...".

Vincent

p.s. Do you think I can now send something bigger via this PM system?

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 October 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Vincent

I don't think you can send attachments via the PM system,but what you can do is send each other your email addresses  ;D ,and go from there.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 10 October 11 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Vincent.

Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

That was nice of Marilyn (mgeneas on our forum) to send you
notification of this topic.

Maybe myself going to Wellingborough with Hubby today was
a waste of time as you have so much personal history.

I declined anything about the family other than the Wellingborough
branch except for David's parents.

Keith you may glean more from Vincent than myself it seems. :)

Never mind as you say recording the headstones that survive
is something I have done for endless Northants villages.

And just to comfirm Carol you are not allowed to send attachments
or images in the P.M.'s.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright