Author Topic: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?  (Read 31338 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 October 11 00:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much again Sandy, and Carol...
I'm sure if I visit in the near future they must have some details about Rosehill Cottage, and what kind of brewing concern the DULLEY family had going there.
My great-grandmother married into the WETHERED brewing family of Great Marlow in Bucks, so I've got a little bit of previous to refer to!
regards, keith

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Rosehill Cottage, Wellingborough, mentioned in 1853 will, where was it situated?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 October 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
Morning.  :)

Carol, Ian is related to me through his partner.  ;D

Keith I think maybe I need to clarify.

The Dulley Brewery was behind the Golden Lion Inn in Sheep St.

There was a place called Rose Cottage which could be the family
home at that time also in the same place which would have been
near the High Street end.

I wish you well in your research.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 October 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
Sandy,
Had another look at Post 5 on this thread, where you put that link to Wellingborough in 1803, showing who were the proprietors of the various Plots.  Noticed that a David DULLY (sic), or even simply plain DULLY was also involved in Plots 96, 103, 197.
I've also read that (presumably this) David DULLY b.1773 d.1853 was one of "the early movers" in the  Calvinist Baptist chapel, the Zoar Chapel in Zoar Yard which was built in 1808 but later demolished.
I also discovered from his 1853 will that one of his daughters, Ann, had married a man called Charles DRAWBRIDGE.  This is the name of the minister of the High Street Particular Baptist Chapel in the 1851 religious census - it had an average congregation of 140, including the DULLEY's.  No wonder there is such little evidence of the family in the Parish records.  How often Nonconformist families successfully threw themselves into business, denied entry to other professions.
This is all getting very interesting...
keith

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 October 11 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith.

Well he was certainly buried in the Chapel burial ground with his wife
and 5 children.

2 more were buried in Cheese Lane Chapel burial ground and later
removed and re-interred in London Road Cemetery

This info was stated in the "Wellingborough News 1934.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 October 11 10:53 BST (UK) »
Sandy,
Wow! this is amazing new information...
I really must get across to Wellingborough very soon and have a very good look at things.  I don't suppose that any of those Chapel Burial grounds still exist with their graves.  I remember going on a very good guided tour of Saffron Walden in Essex a few years ago where we looked at all the rich Nonconformist past there, and most of them had gone - though we did go into someone's private house back garden and were standing on about 300 still-interred burials.
I see that The Golden Lion still exists (mixed messages on the Web about the merits of its food and beer), though apparently it has only been a pub since 1830, even if the building dates from the 16thC.  But you say that any trace of the DULLEY brewery behind has long gone...
Do you have any details of those DULLEY family burials - I know about the father David dying in 1853, and his wife Mary in 1855; but according to his will a son James b. 1814 was already deceased before 1849, and his other sons were William b. circa 1798, David b. 1806 and Benjamin b. 1807.
His daughters were Mary, b. circa 1798 (married possibly a man called TUCK); Ann, b. 1803 who married that Charles DRAWBRIDGE; Sarah, b. 1812 (possibly married another member of the TUCK family); and Elizabeth, b. 1817 (married a man called William JACKSON).
Sorry if I'm overwhelming you with questions....!
keith

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 October 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith.

I am afraid I don't have any burial info.

As far as I am aware the Chapel still stands next to the
new Tabernacle Church. As to graves I have no idea.

I will look in my London Road graves in a mo and see if I can
see the tablet about the family don't build your hopes up.

Be back ina mo.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 October 11 22:43 BST (UK) »
Okay Keith this maybe the 1806 David's grave.

I can do the transcription tomorrow.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 October 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
Sandy,
That's brilliant, and that's most certainly the grave of David DULLEY who was born in 1806 and died in 1877.  I've just downloaded his Nonconformist birth for 13th February 1806, registered at Dr Williams Library in London, from the excellent www.bmdregisters.com website.
His parents are given as David and Mary DULLEY, and Mary's father's name is given as Benjamin EVERITT.  Her family seemed to be from nearby Bedfordshire, and David and Mary were married in 1796 in Pertenhall, though I imagine not in the wonderful old former Moravian Chapel there...
keith
p.s. I have a friend in Cambridge whose direct ancestor was a member of the St Andrews Street Baptist Church and who was buried in their tiny burial ground in 1827.  When the whole burial ground was being built over to provide a cafe, I think in the 1970's, several lead coffins were disinterred and reburied in our Newmarket Road Cemetery, including this ancestor.  However, his headstone, along with about 5 others, still remains upright and along the outside wall of the rebuilt chapel in St Andrews Street.
I presume in David Dulley's case his headstone was moved to London Road...   

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 October 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Pass on last sentence Keith as I do not think so.

I have found a few more still looking as I have about 2,000+ images
and they are not indexed. Never seem to have the time.  :)

Anyway one I will have to give you the dates in a P.M. tomorrow
as it goes pass the deadline we are allowed to list here.

Off to look at another 4 pdf's.

Hopefully can do the other images for you tomorrow also.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright