Author Topic: Harte of Bandon & Vickery of Bantry  (Read 5223 times)

Offline brc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Harte of Bandon & Vickery of Bantry
« on: Saturday 08 October 11 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I would be interested to hear from anyone who is researching the ancestors of John Hunter Harte and Elizabeth Anne Vickery who were married in Kilmocomogue in 1868.
Many thanks.
Regards,
Brian

Offline idah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harte of Bandon & Vickery of Bantry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 11 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Brian,
Saw your message re Harte/Vickery. Have you any info on Vickery parents? I am part of the Vickery Bantry family tree. Founded by a John Vickery ship-wrecked on the coast in 1740s. He had a large family, descendants of which are mainly in USA and Australia. I haven't been able to find Elizabeth Ann on the tree, but if she married in Kilmocomogue then I am related (by marriage as married a Vickery in the same church). All Vickerys in Bantry are descended from the original John.

Offline brc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I am not personally related to Harte/Vickery, but the wife of an old friend of mine is and they have asked if I can help with their research. The only info I have is that John Hunter Harte wed Eliza (Elizabeth?) Anne Vickery in the Wesleyan Chapel in Kilmocamogue. Her father is stated as William Vickery. I have not been able to identify her birth record or any further info on William Vickery. Can I assume that he must be descended from the original John VIckery?
There is someone who has posted info on the Harte/Vickery ancecstry on the www.ancestry.co.uk website, but access to the info is denied to others. He/she goes under the name of tulip and I have posted a message but with no response.
Regards,
Brian

Offline brc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
I have just found a newspaper entry for the marriage and it says that William Vickery is "late of Whiddy Island".
Regards,
Brian

Offline idah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Now that I know Whiddy Branch I have found her!
 Father, William son of Samuel Vickery & Sarah Kingston m 1798 lived on Whiddy Island which is in Bantry Bay. They were farmers. William was one of 6 children and yes, his grandfather was the original John Vickery.
Willaim married Elizabeth Warner of Reendesert, Ballylickey, Bantry. 1837 and they had 3 daughters including Elizabeth & 4 sons. The mother, Elizabeth died aged 33 of typhus (typhoid) fever during Potato Famine years (1845-7). The Harte/Vickery family is expanded further on the tree but I assume they have that info.
Hope this is of some help in your research.
Incidently I didn't marry in the same church as Elizabeth as that was the Methodist one(now a doctor's surgery) 

Offline brc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Many thanks for the reply ad the info. very helpful. I will pass it on. How do you know that John Vickery was shipwrecked in the 1740s - are there some records of this?
Many thanks again, very kind of you.
Regards,
Brian

Offline idah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 17:37 GMT (UK) »
No records, just family lore, passed down from 1 generation to another.
Glad the info was of some help.
Ida H.

Offline Claywoman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - just by chance I came across your post re the Harte / Vickery family tree - John and Elizabeth are my Great-Great Grandparents.  I even have a couple of photographs of Elizabeth as on old lady, in one she is feeding my Uncle Ted as a baby in 1927, the year before she died.  I am very interested in any information you might have on Elizabeth Vickery's family as we have very little and until reading your post didn't even know the name of her mother.  My Uncle Ted had done most of the research and died  four years ago, aged 88 - so it's come to a bit of a stop.  I do have the family tree on the Harte side which goes back to 1776 or so.