Author Topic: THURLEY Horsetrader  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
THURLEY Horsetrader
« on: Saturday 08 October 11 14:28 BST (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters
Can anybody help me with any information about John Thurley a Horse Trader in Bedfordshire?
I know his son Abraham Thurley was baptised 09 Jan 1818 in Bedford St Mary. Abraham’married 1839 in Biddenham Parish Church on the certificate his father is named as John Thurley a Horse Trader.  John is not given as deceased but neither was he a witness so I am unsure if he was alive in 1839 but I do now he had died by the 1841 census when his wife Elizabeth was with her son Abraham Thurley a shoemaker.
John Thurley married 5 Dec 1810 Bedford St Mary to Elizabeth WILLMAN. Elizabeth WILLMAR was bapt 1787 Findon Northants.

It is possible that John Thurley was baptised IGI P003391 Sandy Bedfordshire. John THURLY bapt 16 Jun 1786 f=William m=Elizabeth But I would like to have some evidence that John THURLEY was in Sandy and perhaps his occupation may help.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: THURLEY Horsetrader
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 October 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
A John Thurley was buried Bedford St Mary's on 10 June 1820 at age 33; making him born abiout 1787 - that tallies with your possible baptism in Sandy

John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 October 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
In the 1810 marriage entry what was John's parish of residence? Otp or Sandy?
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 October 11 15:22 BST (UK) »
Sandy St Swithun baptisms, marriages & burials up to 1812 have been transcribed on FreeReg & include your Thurley/Thurly family. The William & Elizabeth also baptised & buried 2 sons named Abraham in 1792 & 1796/7 - so if you follow naming patterns then there seems to be a good chance that this John came from Sandy.
Clement - Croydon

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 October 11 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi JohnP and Bedfordshire Boy
Thank you for your help.
My mother lived in Sandy and Tempsford my grandfather was Postman there and do feel that earlier the family may have been in Sandy I had no real proof. Abraham Thurley onwards were baptised and married in mainly Bedford St Mary, I am not sure what area this parish cover.  Bedford St John,St Peter and St Mary also feature. How different were the parishes?

John THURLEY marriage 05 Dec 1810 St Mary Bedford is from the IGI M005101 so I have no other details.

I too feel that Abraham as a given THURLEY name is an important indicator for the family. The earliest Abraham THURLEY in Sandy married Ann COOPER in Sandy 1722. Abraham was a brickmaker who died 1727. Unfortunately I only have one child from them Ann THURLEY baptised 1726 in Sandy. I have not found son baptised for Abraham and Ann THURLEY.

Thank you very much for the 1820 burial with his age at 33 which was very useful. I have very few THURLEY burial records. Are there more available?

Thank you again for your help.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 October 11 14:14 BST (UK) »
There is no additional info on the 5 Dec 1810 St Mary's marriage other than her name was WILLMORE.

They did baptise daughter Mary there on 25/12/1811 (born 15/05/1811)

Checked Sandy PR, & there is no indication of a occupation on the Thurley baptisms/burials 
Clement - Croydon

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 December 11 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Not the best news but for anybody else interested, a very helpful Rootschatter (aren’t you all) sent me this which definitely confirms that John Thurley (Horse Trader) from Bedford was formerly from Sandy. Confirming your thoughts!!

By the order of the courts for the relief of insolvent debtors , the petitions of Anthony Lake, late of Shillington, in the county of Bedford, Farmer, John Thurley, late of Sandy, in the county of Bedford, Horse dealer, and John Cannon, late of Yardley, in the county of Hertford, Farmer, but now prisoners, for debt, confined to in his Majesties Gaol in Hertford, will be heard before his Majesty Justices of the peace, for the said County, at the General Quarter Sessions of the peace, which will be holden, by ajournment, at Hertford, in and for the said County on Saturday, 8th day of November, at the hour of 10 oclock, in the morning, and that schedules annexed to the said petitions, containing lists of the creditors of the said prisoners, filed in the said court, No 9, Essex Street, Strand, in the County of Middlesex, to which the creditors of the said prisoners may refer; they herby declare, that they are ready and willing, to submit and be fully examined touching the justice of their conduct to their creditors.
Anthony Lake
John Thurley
John Cannon.
18 October 1817.

By the order of the courts for the relief of insolvent debtors , the petitions of William Smith late of Beford, Horse dealer, formerly in copartnership with John Thurley of the same place, trading under the name Smith and Thurley Horse Dealers, but now a prisoner for debt in the Kings Bench prison in the county of Surrey.
Will be heard in the Guildhall city of Westminster 22nd January at nine oclock
William Smith.
29 December 1818.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 December 11 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thers's an article in the Northampton Mercury dated Sat 18 Oct 1817 now available online at - www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk - searching is free but to view it you'll have to pay
Clement - Croydon