Author Topic: Fresh eyes for a Cooley family in Kent early 1900's?  (Read 25146 times)

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh eyes for a Cooley family in Kent early 1900's?
« Reply #126 on: Saturday 30 March 13 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Clared and welcome both to Rootschat and to this thread.   :)

I am part of the Corke/Cooley tribe too, but it's much too convoluted to explain where I fit in.   ;D

As Igorstrav has already mentioned, there are several of us who are all connected, and it would be interesting to know what you make of our efforts so far.  You will also find links to another thread of ours on Rootschat which goes on for pages and pages - about 4 years of researching I think.  You may find that you lose the will to live after a while....... ;D ;) ;D

I think some more Kent records have come on line recently so, who knows, we may find some answers to our long standing queries - of which there are many. 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.   R. 
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Taylors of Liverpool and Dysart
Truemans of Liverpool
Lavells of Ireland and Liverpool
McGowans of Scotland and Liverpool

Offline clared

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Saturday 30 March 13 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I would like to say thanks for the welcome from you all.  Most of the details you have are the same as mine.  I research the family years ago when it wasn't all online.  Visiting libraries and archives. 

I recall Audrey keeping in touch with Australian family and have notes that say Bertha emigrated to Australia in 1921.  Wally her brother was kind enough when he as alive to write up a lot of notes on his family with some details.  Audrey died in 1997 and Wally 1998.  Wally had said that Sidney the eldest son of Bertha used to push him around in his pushchair.  He said Bertha had 15 children.  Audreys mother was Mary Ann AKA Marian and she was blind.  Her grandmother is down as Mary Ann Corke  but Audrey had said she was nicked named Polly but had no idea why.  As for the marriage of Mary Ann/Marian to a Bell maybe this is true as I had a feeling she may have done. 
Audrey and her brother Wally were both petite and I think her mother from her pictures was also.  Both Audrey and her brother had hearing problems.  I will attach some photos which I have.

My tree only goes back as far as Richard Corke B. 1813 and Jane Corke and my Evenden family Thomas Evenden b.1795 to Mary ?

Offline clared

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Saturday 30 March 13 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann Evenden
AkA Marian Evenden

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Saturday 30 March 13 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clared,

Igorstrav and myself both descend from Richard Cork(e) born 1813.

Igorstrav through Richard's son Richard born 1841, and myself through his son Daniel born 1845.

You can't begin to imagine how long it took us to work it all out though....... ;D

If you follow the various links attached to our threads, you will see that we posted some photos a while ago.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

R.    :)
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Truemans of Liverpool

Offline PeterMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Sunday 13 August 17 23:33 BST (UK) »
Old thread I know, but I've just come across a David Richard Thomas COOLEY, born 10 May 1885, married 4 July 1917 (Dublin), ex-soldier, served in the Royal irish Constabulary in Co. Cork (Kinsale) 1920-22.
Research into the old Royal Irish Constabulary

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Monday 14 August 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter

Welcome to this thread.  My word, 2013 - we seem to have been researching the Corke family for ever.

I can't remember any direct link to Ireland but I may be wrong.  Perhaps one of the other folk interested in this thread can help?  Regards  R.
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Truemans of Liverpool

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Monday 14 August 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there - I do have this man in my tree (not at my computer so this is from memory which further confirms Royd's statement that we spent years and years trying to sort them out so that it's engrained in my head).
I think this man is the son of my Richard Cork/Cooley and appears in my tree - thank you for the record I will see if I have it as a source for him.

And just to say that if anyone reading this can find the Cork family in the 1851 census somewhere in Kent or Surrey, Royd and I will fall on your neck with glad cries of joy. (Richard snr, Jane snr, Richard jnr, Sarah, Jane jnr, James, Stephen - travellers)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Sluggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
Thank goodness this thread has come up again, my laptop was stolen about 6 months ago and so lost all of my family tree work, I have to start it all over again.... not good at all
Athorn, Symington, Ferry, Greenshields, Swanson, Fewster, Lillico, Read, Reid, Foster, Pangbourne, Spurr, Cooley, Evenden

Offline PeterMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
David Cooley married an Anne Gallagher. I don't think I can add more than that (apart from his very limited service record) but happy to have added a little more info for you all.
Research into the old Royal Irish Constabulary