Author Topic: Fresh eyes for a Cooley family in Kent early 1900's?  (Read 25144 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh eyes for a Cooley family in Kent early 1900's?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 February 12 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Bertha dau of Nathan and Mary Ann EVENDEN bp Holy Trinity Woolwich 13 Mar 1890 (born 18 Jun 1886) of 5 Rope Yard Rails, lab.  Alice (born 16 Feb 1890) was baptised the same day.

I notice Bertha gives a birthplace of Marden on the 1911 census which matches with that given on the 1891 census of Woolwich.

Bertha's 1904 marriage IgorStrav
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ki2/

I think it all looks pretty much ok EXCEPT that Bertha says her father is Alfred COOLEY on her marriage ............. her mother was still a COOLEY wasn't she if she wasn't married to Nathan EVENDEN? 

IgorStrav (and Royd), Bertha's mother, Mary Ann, looks well to be the daughter of Richard CORK and Jane COOLEY from Seal doesn't she?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 February 12 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'd just found that baptism, Casalguidi, and thought it must be Bertha's.

I'm also thinking that Mary Ann (sometimes called Polly) didn't actually marry Nathan Evenden, and that was why Bertha called herself Cooley.

I'm also wondering if Bertha therefore made up a father's name to fit her official surname? 

When Sarah Cooley, first daughter of Richard Cork and Jane Cooley, got married for the first time, she left the father's name blank.  However, when she got married again, and her surname was therefore not Cooley, she DID show her father as Richard Cork.

Sorry, should have said, thanks for the marriage cert.  No clues from the witnesses, then!!

The last child of Richard Cork and Jane Cooley was Mary Anne.  I last have her in the 1881, aged 20, born in Seal in Kent.

I shall now have another look for her afterwards, and see if I can connect her with Nathan Evenden.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 February 12 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I can't quite find positive evidence for Mary Ann Cork(e)/Cooley, last seen in the 1881 with her father Richard Cork, to be Mary A or Polly Evenden.

On the other hand, I can't find Mary Ann anywhere else after the 1881, so she could well be the Polly Evenden on the 1891 in Woolwich.

Can't find Albert Sydney's birth ref, either as Evenden, Cooley or Cork(e).  However, just another bit to the jigsaw, his birthplace is shown as Sundridge, in the 1891 Census.  Sarah Cooley, eldest daughter of Richard Cork and Jane Cooley, by then Sarah Dalton, is living in Sundridge in both the 1881 and 1891 Censuses.

And where's Bertha in the 1901?

However, I think that the address, the Cooley and Cork references, the appropriate Mary Ann/Polly means that it's very likely, as Casalguidi says, that Bertha is descended from Richard Cork.

Which must mean that Goldcoast and I are related, albeit somewhat distantly!  And realistically, she's probably related to Royd, too, as neither Royd nor I can believe that her Daniel Cork isn't part of the same family.

Anyone help fill in the missing 1901 census ref, I'm wondering if Bertha is with another bit of the family which would add to the proof?  They evidently did keep in touch.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 February 12 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Re the 1901, think I've found Bertha as a servant in Wrotham, not far from her family.  Shown as Evenden.

Blow!  I was hoping she'd be with the more remote family somewhere!
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 February 12 15:13 GMT (UK) »
aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   :o :o :o

Not more Corks and Cooley's surely   ??? ???

Am going to put my head under a pillow until I can face this lot again   ;)

Back later. Bit busy now.  R.

Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Taylors of Liverpool and Dysart
Truemans of Liverpool
Lavells of Ireland and Liverpool
McGowans of Scotland and Liverpool

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 February 12 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I do know how Royd feels.  We have been through so much, together and separately with these wretched people.  ;)  As indeed, have the helpful and resilient Rootschat audience, Casalguidi chief amongst them!

For some reason I've been unable to persuade Ancestry to let me find Bertha, Arthur, Nathan and Albert Sydney in the 1911 in Chatham, under every combination of names and including trying the address provided.

Are Mary Ann (Polly) and the other children with them - any clue about how many years married, number of children etc?  If they aren't there, where are they?

I think I've found Mary Ann (Polly) Evenden's death in 1918 in Medway, and Nathan's death in 1924, also Medway.

I can't find Albert Sydney's birth or death (presumably the lack of death ref is that it was in Scotland, access to whose records I don't have).

I think I've found Alice's death record in 1903 in Medway, Goldcoast said she died young, and this death is aged 12.

No joy with Lizzie's birth or marriage, can she be the Catherine Lizzie Evenden birth ref in Jan 1891 in Cranbrook, Kent?

And, finally, if Mary Ann (Polly) Cork, Cooley, Evenden is who we think she is, then Goldcoast and I are both related to Richard Cork (1812) Stone, Kent, and Jane Cooley. 

They are my great great great grandparents, and hers, and that makes us fourth cousins.   :)

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 February 12 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I can't find Albert Sydney's birth or death (presumably the lack of death ref is that it was in Scotland, access to whose records I don't have).

Albert Sidney CORE (the image actually says CORK) June quarter 1883 Sevenoaks registration district http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

For some reason I've been unable to persuade Ancestry to let me find Bertha, Arthur, Nathan and Albert Sydney in the 1911 in Chatham, under every combination of names and including trying the address provided.

Because Kent isn't indexed yet it's a bit of a faff!  Do a general search for READ with keyword Chatham and select census lists, 1910s, 1911 census summary books and make a note of the parish, ed (enumeration district) and schedule number or, better still, open a new window!  Go back to the front page of ancestry and right at the bottom of the page where it lists some popular records select UK census, 1911 census of England and then, from the drop down menu in the right hand box, select county, civil parish and ed (enumeration district).  If she schedule is, say, 19, you'll find this on approximately page 38 as there are two pages per schedule - one for the front of the form and one for the form itself.  Hope this helps

Going back to "Arthur Frend COOLEY", does it say on the 1911 census whether he is married and how long for as there is a 1904 marriage for an Arthur COOLEY in Medway http://freebmd.rootsweb.com though I realise neither of the possible spouses are a Mary ::)

Lizzie's birth is more difficult with such a common first name but it should be in the Maidstone district if it was Marden.  There is an Elizabeth EVENDEN 1891 Maidstone district .......... possible perhaps?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 February 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Could you hear the swearing as I trolled my way through Ancestry to the Read 1911 Census record, following your helpful instructions, Casalguidi?  Air was blue, here.

For any interested parties, the record shows Arthur Ernest Read, his wife Bertha, and 4 out of the 5 children they say they've had in their marriage - as I recall, Goldcoast says that Sydney lived with Bertha's mother, so that's perhaps where he is.

In addition, there's Nathan Evenden, aged 55, single, farm labourer, born Mereworth,
Albert Sydney Evenden, aged 28, single, farm labourer, born Sevenoaks.  The relationship to Bertha isn't shown, both are boarders, as is another single woman Elizabeth Lily Lovett.

So I think that demonstrates that Nathan and Mary Ann (Polly) didn't marry.

I shall try Casalguidi's method to see if I can find Mary Ann and grandson Sydney and any other Evenden children, such as Lizzie and Arthur, and the others - presumably there were more if Bertha reports she was one of 8, even given that Alice apparently dies ahead of the 1911.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 February 12 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I have had no success in the Chatham 1911 with Mary Ann (Polly) Cork/Cooley/Evenden with any of her remaining children and/or Sydney Read.

Goldcoast mentioned that one of Bertha's sisters, Marie (Polly) married a Mr Hyde, and I have found two of their children, Audrey (1914) and Walter A S (1917 - this is the Wally, Goldcoast mentions) both born in Chatham with mmn Evenden, but I can't see a Hyde/Evenden(Cooley, Cork) marriage at present, or any birth ref which would fit Marie.  And I can't see them in the 1911 in Chatham, although I've looked at all the Mr Hydes who pop up via Casalguidi's method.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London