Author Topic: Fresh eyes for a Cooley family in Kent early 1900's?  (Read 25145 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh eyes for a Cooley family in Kent early 1900's?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 February 12 20:31 GMT (UK) »
And finally, (unless any other miraculous discovery pops up tonight), I have been thinking about the 90 year old Cooley Aunt, who attends Albert Sydney's funeral in 1917.

If she really was 90, she'd have been born in c 1827.  None of Mary Ann Cork/Cooley's siblings was that old.  However, I think one strong candidate is Sarah Cooley, Mary Ann's eldest sister.  Sarah was born in 1837, and would therefore have been 80 in 1917.  She lived in Sundridge at much the same time as Albert Sydney was born there, and her daughter Ellen was born at around the same date.  In the 1911 she's in Westerham, Kent, and it may well have been that she journeyed to Chatham to give her respects.

Goldcoast, I am thinking that it would be very helpful for you to see my Private Ancestry Tree.  Once you have made 3 posts, you will be able to PM me (which you do by clicking on the green scroll under my name at the left) and give me your email address, and I will then be able to invite you
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 26 February 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Not sure I can add anything to this at the moment - as I haven't really delved into the  Cooley's that much.

However, I remember the Sundridge census.........if memory serves me right, he is there with a Mary Ann Corke who is actually Mary Swaisland but is listed as his wife.  His daughter Mary Ann is there also.

For some reason the name Evenden rings a bell but I simply cannot remember why!  I don't have the name in my tree but I know I have seen it somewhere.

Hopefully, sleep may restore some grey cells!

R. ;D
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Taylors of Liverpool and Dysart
Truemans of Liverpool
Lavells of Ireland and Liverpool
McGowans of Scotland and Liverpool

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 26 February 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Royd, I also thought Evenden rang a bell!  Which was why I said I thought something in what Goldcoast had said linked in somewhere.

Goodness knows where we both think we heard it..... :o

I also thought John St Chatham rang a bell, but can I find it anywhere?  No.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline goldcoast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 26 February 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi IgorStrav

I have to go to work right now but this should be my third post.  You could have a look at my private tree too although I think you have pretty much done all the work in one day that took me years, and a lot more  :)

Running late but what I had for Polly's children is (and Marden is there... didn't look in my haste last night)

1. POLLY1 EVENDEN was born about 1861 in Seal, Kent, England. She married NATHAN EVENDEN. He
was born about 1857 in Mereworth, Kent, England.
Nathan Evenden and Polly Evenden had the following children:
i. ALBERT SYDNEY2 EVENDEN was born about 1883 in Ide Hill, Kent, England.
ii. BERTHA EVENDEN was born on 17 Jun 1886 in Kent (Tunbridge Wells?). She died
on 04 May 1941 in Griffith. She married Arthur Ernest READ, son of William READ
and Emily Ann Ida ROGERS on 30 Jan 1904 in Kent (Tunbridge Wells?). He was
born in 1880 in Redfern NSW.
iii. ALICE EVENDEN was born about 1890 in Kent, England.
iv. LIZZIE EVENDEN was born about 1892 in Marden, Kent, England.
v. ARTHUR EVENDEN was born about 1900 in Malling, Kent, England.
Cooley, Evenden - Kent / Hewetson - Singapore, Ireland / Elrington - worldwide  / Proctor - Scotland, Uruguay, Australia / Ogilvy - Shetland / Rome - Dumfries, Australia / Read - Dorset, Australia / Clarke - London / Heydinger - London / Durie - Kincardine / Scott - Muckart, Perth, Scotland / Wrench - Staffordshire, Australia

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 26 February 12 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Marian EVENDEN m Walter A HYDE Medway Sep quarter 1913 Medway registration district  http://freebmd.rootsweb.com ref. 2a 1694.

I've looked through the marriages on Medway Cityark for all the Chatham and Gillingham C of E churches and couldn't see it though I can't promise that I haven't missed it if anybody would like to double check.  I didn't get so far as checking Rochester.

I also checked Chatham and Gillingham for that 1904 Arthur COOLEY marriage but couldn't see that either.  It looks like it could be that of the Arthur COOLEY (skin dresser) in 1911 if he says he's been married 7 years :-\

Mr HYDE could well be Walter Ambrose HYDE died Sep quarter 1971 Chatham registration district (born 2 Jan 1889).  The birthdate matches a baptism in Islington, London.  There is a death for a Marian HYDE in Chatham December quarter 1956 age 67 which would mean a birth about 1889. 

Any sightings of Marie/Marian/Mary Ann/Polly(possibly bc1889?) in any census yet ???

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 February 12 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmm .............. "Lizzie" Elizabeth EVENDEN bc1892 Marden.  I looked at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com and there is a 1909 marriage in Medway for an Elizabeth EVENDEN to (one of the two possible spouses) a Charles Edward BELL.  I looked for any Elizabeth bc1892 Marden  give or take a couple of years in the free index of the 1911 census http://www.1911census.co.uk/ and there is an Elizabeth BELL in Medway (I checked place and she comes up for Chatham).  I then looked for other persons in household and she cross references with a Chrls Edward BELL.  I think maybe she could do with checking out - I haven't looked on Cityark for a marriage.

Casalguidi :)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 February 12 22:46 GMT (UK) »
You are such a star, Casalguidi!  ;D

Have turned off Ancestry for tonight (though still checking updates via my I-phone!!!  ;)), but will get on it tomorrow.

Wonder where Mary Ann (Polly) was in the 1911? Goldcoast implies she was alive, looking after Sydney, so she can't have died, can she?

I think the last son, Arthur, born 1900 may have done, though, there's a death ref c 1905 (need to check that date, didn't make a note) and that could be the little boy who was lost.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 February 12 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Just had a thought ;D

If "Lizzie" supposedly married a READ and went to Canada perhaps Mr BELL (assuming we have the correct husband) died in WW1 ???

Charles Edward BELL Royal Navy 297972 born Hastings 13 Jan 1883 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp?WT.hp=Registers%20of%20Seamen%27s%20Services

Checking the 1911 free index for BELL born Hastings ......... Chrls Edward BELL pops up in Medway ;)

Charles Edward BELL 297972 died 25 Nov 1914 and is buried in Lowestoft http://www.cwgc.org/ (unfortunately, no next of kin given).

Goodnight :)

Offline goldcoast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 27 February 12 08:37 GMT (UK) »
you guys or girls are absolutely amazing ;D  Am trying to get my head around all of this but you certainly seem to have it in your radar.  So happy to know my fourth cousin and that they have such an interest in the family!  I must warn you that you have now discovered a huge Australian branch of the family, Bertha and Arthur had 15 living children (one twin died) and 12 of those had families... some of them quite large.

I am trying to find a photo of Bertha and Arthur taken with their then family on the eve leaving Chatham for Australia. A distinctive feature of Bertha and her children were large almond shaped eyes coming from her side as Arthur had very distinctive wide narrow slit type eyes.  I know this photo is here somewhere just haven't found it yet.  Would be interested to know if any other family members have eyes like this.

I will try and attach a photo of Bertha with her daughter Evelyn Bertha (my grandmother) taken in 1907.  Obviously the outfit was the photographer's as they as poor as church mice.

Still going through the forum threads...

Wow, thank you again

Cooley, Evenden - Kent / Hewetson - Singapore, Ireland / Elrington - worldwide  / Proctor - Scotland, Uruguay, Australia / Ogilvy - Shetland / Rome - Dumfries, Australia / Read - Dorset, Australia / Clarke - London / Heydinger - London / Durie - Kincardine / Scott - Muckart, Perth, Scotland / Wrench - Staffordshire, Australia