Author Topic: John Irwin 1867 Ballykelly, Co Derry  (Read 15426 times)

Offline McKeown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Irwin 1867 Ballykelly, Co Derry
« on: Sunday 09 October 11 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
over the past few days I discovered a John Irwin B 31/10/1867 to Robert Irwin & Catherine McKane in Ballykelly County Derry. John is My Grandmothers Grandfather.
Can anyone help me pad this out?
I had a look at Ballykelly online and it was a "Plantation Village" built in the 1830's. I would not think that Irwin would be an Irish name, and I surmise he was a "Planter" himself.
So, can anyone please guide me to any good resources of information on Ballykelly or these people I have mentioned.

Thanks,

MM

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Irwin 1867 Ballykelly, Co Derry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 11 10:43 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about the date? The reason I ask is because your other post says your grandfather's grandfather was born 1808.

Samuel Duffy B 1808 in Donegall (spelling?) Ireland married Elizabeth Hyndman B1820 of Donegall (spelling?). They are my Grandfathers Grandparents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 11 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    A parent search on the IGI, part of familysearch.org gives five children for this couple, all born in the Ballykelly area. In each case the mother's name is spelt McKANE. However I have found the marriage of a Robert Irwin to a Catherine McKEAN on 17 Jun 1862 in St. Canice Church of Ireland, Eglinton, Co. Londonderry. Eglinton is abour six miles from Ballykelly towards the city of Londonderry and both villages are much older than 1830. They were Built by the London Guilds who were given the land around them to plant in 1609. Ballykelly was built by the Fishmongers Company and Eglinton by the Grocers Company. Your date of 1830 probably refers to some of the more imposing buildings which stand today.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 October 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, if the above marriage is correct here's a link to it on the Family search site, it includes the bride and grooms fathers names:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/9SLC-PPT/p4

Regards

Joe

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 October 11 14:41 BST (UK) »
I think I see this couple still living in the Ballykelly area in the 1901 Census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Faughanvale/Tullymain/1522512/
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
  • we don't find ancestors... they find us
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 October 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi MM try this  link to ballykelly there are a lot of people who had connections to the Villliage writing  on the site  one reference is to an Irwin  in the Village
My Late Aunt Lived in a house on the outskirts of the Village which was owned by a Harry Irwin
there are also Irwins buried in the very old Church of Ireland Burying Ground called Tamlagh Finlagan which was the church before the present one in Ballykelly
Good luck  Gerald

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/londonderry/ballykelly_village.shtml
McGill/Somers/McIvor in Co Derry.
Lynch Co Dublin
Morgan / Ross / Curoe/Roberts in Co Down

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 October 11 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The Irwins in the old churchyard in Tully road just outside Ballykelly are two of my lot. John Oliver Irwin from the townland of Leeke, south of Ballykelly village, married Mary Stewart in 1874. John Irwin inherited a farm in Derryork, near Dungiven, and when he and his wife died they obviously choose to be buried near Ballykelly. However there is another Irwin grave there with names which I do not recognise.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 October 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The Irwins in the old churchyard in Tully road just outside Ballykelly are two of my lot. John Oliver Irwin from the townland of Leeke, south of Ballykelly village, married Mary Stewart in 1874. John Irwin inherited a farm in Derryork, near Dungiven, and when he and his wife died they obviously choose to be buried near Ballykelly. However there is another Irwin grave there with names which I do not recognise.

Regards

Any relation to a Leslie Irwin from Derryork?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 October 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,
                     I have come across the name but I cannot find a connection. I believe that his mother was Jane Ramsay which is also a Derryork name. His name also appears in the neighbouring townland of Ballyness.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim