Author Topic: Ewing  (Read 7524 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ewing
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 May 18 02:07 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the information recorded about William's mother is all just a bit muddled up and misremembered, and perhaps if this was in part due to her having died when William was young?  The James Ewing who married Maria (Knox) McCullough on 23 April 1856 was recorded as a widower, a teacher, the son of William Ewing a merchant. Note the following from a couple of years earlier (the Banner of Ulster of 30 May 1854 and the Belfast Commercial Chronicle of 1 June 1854):

On the 27th ult., of consumption, aged 43 years, Ann, wife of Mr. James Ewing, Assistant-Master of the Belfast Union Workhouse.

Might be nothing, but note the following baptisms for folk called James Ewing and Ann Lavery in Belfast:

- Peter Ewing baptised on 28 January 1838 in Ballymacarrett Church of Ireland parish;

- James Ewing baptised on 18 July 1843 in St. Matthew's RC Church...
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633102#page/9/mode/1up (right page);

- William Ewing baptised on 2 May 1845 in Ballymacarrett Church of Ireland parish;

- Mary Ewing baptised on 31 August 1853 in St. Anne's Church of Ireland (address given as Ballynafeigh).

There was also a Margaret Ewing baptised on 8 October 1847 in St. Anne's Church of Ireland for James Ewing and what has been transcribed as Ann Lowry, again the address was given as Ballynafeigh. 

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 May 18 03:00 BST (UK) »

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 May 18 07:57 BST (UK) »
Gaffy thank you so much for your time and effort, how you found Annie's marriage with the Malone address and Albert as a witness........amazing  ;D

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 May 18 11:34 BST (UK) »

... The James Ewing who married Maria (Knox) McCullough on 23 April 1856 was recorded as a widower, a teacher, the son of William Ewing a merchant ...

Further to above, the father of Maria McCullough in the 1856 record of  marriage to James Ewing was cited as Robert Knox, a bleacher.  In  addition, you previously mentioned James Ewing's address according to the 1861 Belfast street directory, namely this entry:

Ewing, James, assistant master, Workhouse, 151 Agnes Street.
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1861a2f.htm

Note therefore the following from the Belfast Morning News of 23 January 1860:
January 20, at the house of his son-in-law, Mr Jas. Ewing, No. 151, Agnes Street, Belfast, Mr. Robert Knox, late of Newforge, near Belfast, aged 71 years.

With that new linkage of a James Ewing specifically described in the street directory as a Workhouse assistant master, through the address 151 Agnes Street, to the newspaper report of the death of a father-in-law called Robert Knox, it's  looking more promising that after his wife Ann died in 1854, James Ewing went on to marry Maria McCullough a couple of years later (regardless of what son William's marriage and death records state about his mother).

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 May 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again.

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Gaffy for finding the Ewing/Mcdermott marriage I thought yeah.....and then I came to a stop. Nothing on the census or irish genealogy for this family.(that I could find ;D)
So I tried Scotland and another rootschatter kindly looked at the 1891 census on Ancestry and they found a possible family where a James and Albert McDermott, correct ages were staying with their grandmother Catherine in the Gorbals.
On that census was also a Catherine A McDermott age 6 so I purchased her birth certificate and her parents were Edward McDermott and Annie Ewing, so right parents but I cannot find anything about the family in Scotland or Ireland after 1891 or where their parents were.
I tried family search for possible emigration but have found nothing.
Edward was an insurance society salesman on Catherine's birth certificate.Any help would be appreciated as to what happened to this family.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 May 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
The McDermott do seem to be hiding somewhere!

Edward McDermott (c1856), son of Bryan (schoolmaster), m.(1878) Annie Ewing.
c1885- insurance society salesman. 1891 children Gorbals Lanark
1.   James Ewing McDermott (7 May 1879-aft.1891)
2.   Albert Edward McDermott (18 Nov.1880-aft.1891)
3.   Catherine A. McDermott (c1885-aft.1891)

1891 census- Gorbals, Lanarkshire
Catherine McDermott (65), Mary McDermott (21), James McDermott (12), Albert McDermott (10), Catherine A. McDermott (6), Mary McDermott (5), Lily McDermott (2)

So, who are the 2 Marys and Lily?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 May 18 07:39 BST (UK) »
I purchased Lilys birth certificate and she is the illegitimate daughter of Mary McDermott, daughter of a school teacher, so Catherine's granddaughter.

But I also found a death for a Lily McDermott age 7 in 1895, father Edward a spirit dealer in Castlereagh with Catherine McDermott grandmother registering the death.
I thought I had found a marriage for Mary previous to 1895 in Ireland but cannot find it in my notes and wondered if Edward had been raising Lily as his.

Thank you for posting and I will have another look at finding the marriage in question.

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 May 18 07:51 BST (UK) »
Mary McDermott father Brian, a teacher married John McGowan in November 1895 Ballymacarett.

It seems that the family may have come back but I cannot find them on the census or any marriages for example that would give me there whereabouts.

Thanks again for helping me with this thread.