Author Topic: William Henry Born Around 1715 or 1717  (Read 10827 times)

Offline PapaT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Born Around 1715 or 1717
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 January 15 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Brand new here. I've been searching for William Henry's roots for several years off and on. Have there been any un-posted updates to this thread?

Offline PapaT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 January 15 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Srappymom, if you still frequent this site, I'm very interested where you got your info on John Henry

Offline luckydogdls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 September 15 07:41 BST (UK) »
HELP!  I have fallen into the same trap with William Henry, Sr and the alledged Col John Henry connection.  I now see the problem  with that premise, as John Henry did not marry Sarah Winston Syme until after her first husband died in 1732.  Also, in bios for Patrick Henry b. 1736, it is stated that he was the second child born (presumably after John Syme b. 1729).  Other than the above two, all of Sarah's other nine children were born after 1736.

I am working on genealogy for 3 sons by two different mothers who are in different Henry lines.  One line goes back to Ola Henry 1907-1956, Benjamin F Henry 1881-1963, Jesse B  Henry 1858-1927, all born in Arkansas. Next is James A Henry 1821-1881 of Alabama, Frances P Henry 1800-1853 and Cpt James H Henry (your Malcolm's brother 1774-1839, both of York, SC,  and William Henry, Sr of County Tyrone, N. Ireland.   

The second line goes back from James P Henry, et al, of east Tennessee and  South Carolina on back to a James William Henry, 1726-1796, born in Aberdeen, Scotland.  The Col John Henry hoax had both James William Henry and William Henry, Sr as sons of John and Sarah Winston Syme Henry.  Back to the drawing board on proving the boys are distantly related.  This news will not play well at the Arkansas Henry reunion, Sep 26, 2015 in Mayflower, AR.

Offline PapaT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 September 15 18:45 BST (UK) »
luckydogdls... The way I see it, the timing is perfect for John in Tyrone to be William's father. The story is that William couldn't get along with his new stepmom and left for America in 1733... The documentation I've seen doesn't say anything about John before his marriage in 1732. That may be the key.

Offline luckydogdls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 September 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
The erroneous John Henry that I was referring to was the one born in 1704 in Scotland; the one that married  Sarah Winston Syme and was the father of Patrick Henry, statesman and twice governor of Virginia.  That one is not a fit.  John Henry born in Clones, Monaghan, Ireland in 1694 is a better fit, but I will need to scare up further documentation before latching onto that one.

Taking that one a bit further,  1694 John should have to have been married to William's mother before 1715.   If William booked to the colonies at around 18 years of age because he didn't get along with his stepmother, John must have married her around 1732.  This John Henry apparently never came to America.

Unfortunately, I will now have to break the news at the Henry reunion in Mayflower, AR on 26 Sep that they are not related to Patrick Henry.  I need to check my youngest son's Henry line (different Henry mother), as it may still flow back to the John Henry from Scotland, born in 1704.  Have to say, there are a lot of land mines and false leads out there.  Everything is just theory until some hard evidence is uncovered.  Thanks for responding.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 September 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
"....John Henry born in Clones, Monaghan, Ireland in 1694 is a better fit, but I will need to scare up further documentation before latching onto that one....."

Clones records should be on LDS! Their g/stone inscriptions are online somewhere.... need to see if I can find them again!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline PapaT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 September 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
Funny... there is a Patrick Henry in William's family and his grave stone says "friend of the constitution", but his birthdate is way off, so I don't get what they meant...

Offline PapaT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 September 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
I still think it's an amazing coincidence that a 42 year old widower named John Henry in County Tyrone marries a widow in 1732 and an 18 year old William Henry leaves the country in 1733 because he can't get along with his new stepmom... and not be father and son? I still have hope that the family of "that" John Henry might have records of his previous marriage. At least it could prove he wasn't William's father.

What is really disturbing is that the family Bible was brought to America by William which had hundreds of years of family history recorded in it was lost... and nobody wrote down any of it. My grandfather talked about it and said it was 400 years old. He knew things about the family in Ireland that must have come from it (and I was too young and dumb to pay attention). My grandmother said she had seen it and told me my name was in it (... or would be if they could find it... (40+ year old memory)). Does anybody know anything about it? The last I "heard" was that it was in Blue Ridge, Ga, in the possession of Jesse Prince around 1962, but family there know nothing about it and others say it was lost long before that.

Offline PapaT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 June 16 18:06 BST (UK) »
I've been away a while, has anybody got an update on this  topic?