Author Topic: James Pinegar, Margaret Butcher  (Read 7445 times)

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Pinegar, Margaret Butcher
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 June 12 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks. If I find a connection I will let you know.

Cheers,

Gary.

Offline Greyhound144

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 August 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
My family records include my Great Great Great Grandfather, James Pinegar born on Jan 25, 1818. Our records show he had a sister Ann, Elizabeth and a brother Edward.  He returned to England to visit relatives in 1868-69 and stayed primarily in Rickmansworth.  I have letters that he wrote to the family here in Ohio.

I don't know if this is the same family, as my family records do not indicate if James parents were James and Margaret.  James married Sarah Martin.  They had three children who were born in Berkshire, England (according to family records).  James, Sarah and Mary.  His Wife, Sarah died in 1850.

James Pinegar moved to Millbury, Ohio.  At some point, the spelling changed to Pinniger. His son, James, also settled in Ohio.  James (the son) and his wife, Phillippa, had nine children in Ohio. There are many descendants from the nine children.  I have located many so far.

I have not yet attempted to find descendants still in England yet, but that is my next step.   

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 August 14 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Thanks for the contact. My Pinnegars came from Gloucestershire so I don't know if there is a connection. Will chase it up & get back to you.

Cheers,

Gary.

Offline Greyhound144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 February 17 00:42 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of James Pinegar and Margaret Butcher.  I have research information on James, Margaret and their children.

Offline Echovalley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 February 17 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Delighted to see your post.  Elizabeth Pinegar, daughter of James Pinegar and Margaret Butcher, married William Anderson on the 3rd Feb 1856 in the Parish Church at Ricksmansworth.  They had a son called George Anderson, b 31st Oct 1859.  George married an Emily Malpas Tompkins on the 5th Jan 1892 and their son Edward George Anderson was my husband's Grandfather.
I have photos of the children of William and Elizabeth Anderson, one when they were children and another when they were adults.  I see on my list that your James b 21st Jan 1820 in Chilam, Kent was the older brother of our Elizabeth Pinegar, b 6th Aug 1822 in Fawley Berkshire.....have I got the right facts?  I wonder why they moved from Kent to Berkshire?  I look forward to hearing from you.
Scotland, ex Border; Brown, Helm, Oliver. Walker (Perth) Turner (Fife)
England, Tyler, Green (Sussex), Anderson, Pinegar, Tompkins, Hacking (Lan), Malpas (Kent)
Ireland, Casey (Askeaton)

Offline Greyhound144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 February 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello, 

We are definitely speaking of the same family.

I have been in touch with descendants of George Anderson's youngest brother, Edward Anderson.  They have supplied me with some information on James and Margaret, but it is not a lot.  It is not known exactly why he left Kent - work, military, etc.  From letters that I have from the 1860's, it appears that there were extended family members living in Fawley, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.  It is mentioned in letters that James was a bell ringer at the church.  James and Margaret are buried at St. Mary's in Fawley.  It appears that James came from a family of nine brothers and sisters, but I have not confirmed.

The son, James Pinegar, my 3x great grandfather and brother to Elizabeth ended up in Wantage and worked as a Barber.  I don't know how he ended up in Wantage.  By 1852, he came to the United States.  By 1858, he settled in Millbury, Ohio which is not far from Toledo.  Here, he farmed 80 acres and was involved in the local government (township clerk and helped to form the school board).

As you know, Elizabeth and their other sister, Ann lived in Rickmansworth.  Ann first married Edward Anderson and then Elizabeth married his brother, William.  Ann learned how to read and write at some point (while working in service), so she wrote many letters to James in America.  I get the impression Elizabeth did not read or write.

Ann, Elizabeth and James had an older sister, Mary Ann.  She died young, and left a young son and a daughter.  The daughter's name was Caroline Margaret Smith, but called Carrie.  It is believed that James and his wife, Sarah took Carrie in for a time.  But when Ann married Edward, they raised Carrie until she was an adult.  Ann never had any children of her own.  Carrie also wrote many letters to her Uncle James in America.  I have not yet located descendants of Carrie.  She married Charles Albert Frude and they had six children.

In November of 1868, James made a trip back to Rickmansworth to visit with his two sisters.  He stayed for five months.  I have a photo that James, Ann and Elizabeth had taken during this visit.  Sadly, James died a short time later after his return from England.

I have found that Margaret and James had seven children.  I have approximate birth years.  Mary Ann, 1815, Frances, 1816 (infant death), Ann, 1817, James, Jan 25, 1818, Elizabeth, 1820 (infant death), Elizabeth 1822, and Stephen, 1826.

I hope this is helpful.  There is much more!