Author Topic: George William GREENO B Jan 1869 - lost in census  (Read 2476 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George William GREENO B Jan 1869 - lost in census
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 December 17 05:36 GMT (UK) »
NDRFT -Did you ever get to the bottom of this and were you able to confirm who George's parents were?

If this is the George Greeno whose birth was registered in Bethnal Green in 1869 with a MMN of Gay, then I think something is amiss unless David Greeno, the father, was keeping two households. 

GREENS, GEORGE       GAY     Order
GRO Reference: 1869  M Quarter in BETHNAL GREEN  Volume 01C  Page 244

This thread has a little about a David Greeno in Bethnal Green. 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=777711.9

There is a marriage between David Greeno and Eunice Sarah Gay in Bethnal Green on 27 August 1850.  They both are 19 years old.  It says her father is Charles Gay and his is a weaver called Thomas Greeno.  I think the father's name was recorded inccorectly because the Poor Law and Removal Settlement Records a year later say David's father James was of Bethnal Green. 

Four days later at the same church Ann Driscoll married Dennis Donovan.  They all appear on the same page of the marriage index and it appears people have put two and two together and decided that David Greeno married Ann Driscoll (because that fits in nicely with his "wife" Ann from Lyme Regis who is with him in 1861, 1871 and 1881). 

I can't find a marriage of a David Greeno to an Ann.  I suspect David and Ann didn't marry because he was still legally married to Eunice/Sarah Gay.  So I'm wondering whether David is the father of the other Greeno children from about 1861 onwards or did he and Eunice/Sarah have an agreement to register the children as theirs so they wouldn't be illegitimate?  Or perhaps the registrar asked "what is your wife's name" and wrote that down, and assumed that his wife was the mother of his child, and vice versa. 

I'm still missing an Ann Tucker from Lyme Regis who was born in 1833.  I think she could be Ann Greeno.