Author Topic: James Hanna  (Read 4353 times)

Offline myarn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Hanna
« on: Tuesday 11 October 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
     I'm searching for my GGG Grandfather, James Hanna of County Cavan.  The only information I have is from the marriage record of my GG Grandmother, Isabella Hanna.  She married James Thompson on April 3, 1861 in Crosserlough.  The record shows she was from Kiffagh, and that her father was James Hanna, a farmer. 
      Would love to hear from anyone who has any information on the Hannas.
 Thank you,  Mary 

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Hanna
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation of 1857 has James Hanna in the townland of Kiffagh, where he was renting a house, offices (outbuildings) and 101 acres of land (making it a very big farm for the area and the time). Plot 9a on Griffiths. You can see the farm very easily on the 1850s map. The farm is on the modern Raffan Rd, and should be easy enough to find today. There was also a William Hanna renting in the same townland.

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church so I’d be inclined to search that church’s records for Isabella’s baptism and any siblings.
Elwyn

Offline myarn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 11 04:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information, Elwyn.  I can't find the church records online.  I'll try writing them.  (I'm in the U.S.)  Thanks again. 

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 11 07:56 BST (UK) »
LDS have microfilmed many of the parish records and you can often order copies of their films in to your nearest LDS library, for a small fee. You can what records exist on the PRONI website:

www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/catalogues_guides_indexes_and_leaflets/online_guides_and_indexes.htm
Elwyn

Offline Steve Hill (Hanna)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 01:39 GMT (UK) »
My 3x Great Grandfather was James Hanna. The following is what my family is searching for and what we've found.

I'm searching for any information on my 4x great grandfather. Robert Hana or Robert Hanna born circa 1850/1860, father to James Hanna. James married Mary Anne Burns in 1879 in Omagh. Also seeking birth records for James Hana. They had 4 known children, Robert, Mary Margaret, Thomas, and Anne Jane. Thomas moved to Canada and married Alice Mabel Francis (born in England). Thomas was born in 1883 and died in the Greater Toronto Region in 1963. Thomas' children's names are Harvey and Marion (married to Eric Harris in Islington, Canada). Harvey married Marie Hill and moved to Hollywood-Burbank California where he died in 1980. Their one child is Raie Thomas Hill (Hanna) remained in Toronto, Canada where he died in 2015. Any further information on the Mountjoy Presbyterian Church records, Cappagh Parish in Omagh for the Hanna family is greatly appreciated. Brothers and sisters to James might include John, Charles, Joseph and Mary Ann.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!