Author Topic: How do I find where someone is buried?  (Read 7013 times)

Offline mjk28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do I find where someone is buried?
« on: Tuesday 11 October 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out where my great grandfather FRANCIS HOWARD was buried. I have a copy of his death certificate, which shows that he drowned in the Surrey Canal Rotherhithe. He was found on 16/03/1868 and the inquest was three days later on 19/03/1868. He was 31 yrs old.

I would like to know whether he was buried in Surrey or if he was brought back to Suffolk.

Any help on how to find out where someone is buried would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find where someone is buried?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi mjk28

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Finding a place of burial in and around London can be a very time consuming exercise.

If you think he may have been buried around Rotherhite, you'll need to contact Southwark council. There are more details here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,403485.msg3932074.html#msg3932074

Southwark's bereavement services charge for look-ups if yu are unable to get to Camberwell New Cemetery & Honor Oak.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200330/family_history_research/2074/family_history_resources

If you think he may have been buried in Suffolk, I would check the burial registers for the parish he should have been buried in.

You may want to have a look at our Suffolk pages or post a look-up request there

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,35.0.html

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
It is always worth searching in  findagrave - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi
Didn't find him though
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

The links are given in the guide to London burials on the Rootschat board (link given by Dawn) links to Greater London entries from this website - 826 entries of churchyards and cemeteries though numbers of actual graves listed in any may be very small or more considerable though bear in mind many many thousands or more are buried in each of the many large London cemeteries - the link is given to the list on the website in the guide and below

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=csr&CScn=&CScntry=5&CSst=4220

and Surrey entries which would mostly be the modern day county of Surrey not those areas absorbed by London such as Southwark

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=csr&CScn=&CScntry=5&CSst=4243

242 entries

as well as links to Kent and Essex entries which might also covered some churchyards or cemeteries in areas of those counties now part of London.

Hopefully the guide does have all such possible links to the various websites but please point out any that may be missing so they can be added.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mjk28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

Thank your for your help so far.

I'M searching this for my mum and he was her great grandfather. She decided to purchase the National Burial Index 3rd edition, which arrived today. I have done a search and nothing has come up for that date or around that date at all.

Can anyone explain why? or have any ideas what to do next?

Thank you,

Meryl

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 11 14:54 BST (UK) »

Can anyone explain why?

The NBI has very patchy information within it.  Some counties have lots of information, whilst others have very little. 

I have the NBI Second Edition, and Suffolk has 836,000 entries, whilst Surrey has 370,000.  Not exactly a huge percentage of the population, is it ?  :)

Could be worse, though, Devon only has 4000 !   ::)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 October 11 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry to be repetitive but again the burial guide mentioned in the previous posts specifically states the NBI has relatively poor coverage of the London area and gives a link to the website which details how many thousands of burials each county has and then lists churchyards and numbers of burials in each that are covered by the NBI. It also lists the much much more limited coverage the NBI has of cemetery burials which again for the London area, considering there are roughly around 150 civic cemeteries probably constitutes a word like negible to describe the coverage. Put simply Family History Society members have largely been the volunteers for this indexing of burials and they started with church registers. The London area family history societies have huge numbers of parish registers with vast numbers of burials in and have collectively not made such a great impact or perhaps not been part of the NBI as for instance has not been the Devon FHS or the Hampshire FHS who have their own burial indexes hence why numbers are low on the NBI for those counties, though you can request searches of the Devon burial index and purchase the Hampshire burial index so there is much better (excellent in the case of Hampshire) coverage of these counties than just looking at NBI would lead you to believe.

Regards

Valda

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 October 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

In answer to what to do next, follow the advice given in Dawn's posting. She has given you very good advice. If there was an easier way to do it, like purchasing the NBI that advice would have already been given to you. It just isn't that simple. Trust what Dawn has said and start by contacting Southwark cemetery office. They manage the nearest cemeteries. Expect a charge for them searching their cemetery registers.

Regards

Valda

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 October 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Yes trying to find a burial in London is very time consuming. I found out some when Ancestry released a lot of the LMA records but there are still many to be found.

The date of death is the best thing to go on first.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain