Author Topic: Worthen - where the heck is it?!  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Helen Dann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Worthen - where the heck is it?!
« on: Saturday 07 May 05 10:53 BST (UK) »
Many of my ancestors came from Worthen, which for many years was officially in Montgomeryshire though recognised by most people as being actually in Shropshire. 

I have copies of the 1851 Shropshire census and also the 1851 Montgomeryshire census, but my ancestors simply aren't there. Similarly with the 1861 census, which I've accessed via Ancestry - no ancestors, no Worthen. So where on earth can I find them?!

:(
Bunting - Worthen (SAL)
Williams - Much Wenlock (SAL)
Dabbs - Dudley/Wellington
Hall - Munslow/Eaton-Under-Heywood (SAL)
Jones - Pontesbury (SAL)
Dadicott/Dorricott - Westbury (SAL)
Kidson/Kitson - Ditton Priors/Morville (SAL)
Wood - Stottesden/Cleobury Mortimer (SAL)
Wright - Ellesmere/Oswestry (SAL)
Payne - Oswestry (SAL)
Cooper - Abdon/Clee St Margaret (SAL)
Bradney - Pontesbury (SAL)

Offline JClarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WORTHEN - where the heck is it?!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 05 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

Same with me. I’ve got the Sockett family in Worthen 1871, 81 & 91. I’m on Ancestry and I can find no trace of them in 1861 and it's not for the want of looking!

Waiting for replies with interest.

John
All Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire: Clarke/Clark, Williams, Prince, Bumford, Sockett, Davis/Davies, Beaumont & Luther
Leics: Clarke/Clark, Anable, Newbold
Montgomeryshire: Williams, Sockett & Thomas
Staffs: Bumford & Davis/Davies

Offline Helen Dann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 05 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Isn't it bizarre?! They must be *somewhere* - if it's the case that the records have been lost, it would be nice to be told. But odd that they've disappeared for both 1851 *and* 1861!

Helen
Bunting - Worthen (SAL)
Williams - Much Wenlock (SAL)
Dabbs - Dudley/Wellington
Hall - Munslow/Eaton-Under-Heywood (SAL)
Jones - Pontesbury (SAL)
Dadicott/Dorricott - Westbury (SAL)
Kidson/Kitson - Ditton Priors/Morville (SAL)
Wood - Stottesden/Cleobury Mortimer (SAL)
Wright - Ellesmere/Oswestry (SAL)
Payne - Oswestry (SAL)
Cooper - Abdon/Clee St Margaret (SAL)
Bradney - Pontesbury (SAL)

Offline JClarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 May 05 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I can only directly comment on the 1861 census at the moment, but your mention of 1851 doesn’t surprise me!

I searched the National Archives Catalogue for Worthen/Worthin and it showed:

1861 – RG 9/4255, 4256 & 4257

And still nothing. Never a time machine or crystal ball around when you need one!

For your information it showed the following for 1851:

1851 – HO 107/2498

Let's hope someone, somewhere, knows something!  :D

Regards
John

All Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire: Clarke/Clark, Williams, Prince, Bumford, Sockett, Davis/Davies, Beaumont & Luther
Leics: Clarke/Clark, Anable, Newbold
Montgomeryshire: Williams, Sockett & Thomas
Staffs: Bumford & Davis/Davies

Offline ozwendy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 November 05 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I don't know if you are still looking for people in Worthen but in some of the earlier census it is listed in montgomeryshire, Wales. Thats where i found some of my ancestors. Also in later census they listed their birth places as worthen but they were actually born in smaller villages such as meadowtown and Brockton and they were residents there in earlier census.

Cheers
Wendy
Faricy -  Lancs.
Faricy, Gardner, Jones, Aldred, Battersby, Calland, Webb, Jones,Evans - Hindley, Lancs
Coleman, Price, Taylor, Ryan, Joyce, Barrett, Astin - Oldham/Failsworth, Lancs
Gardner, Evans, Jones, Williams,Sambrook, Davies,Wardman,Ellis  - Montgomeryshire/Worthern,Salop
Price, Thomas, Jones - Chester/Flint
Jones,Webb,Griffiths,Bagshaw,Bowen,Richards, - Dawley/Wellington,Salop
Faricy - Waterford/Cork - Ireland
Faricy, Robles - Austalia

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 11:05 GMT (UK) »
This problem has been mentioned before here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,91293.msg386570.html#msg386570

The Shropshire Archives might be able help you.

I have the 1851 and 1861 Montgomeryshire discs.  Let me know if you'd like me to check them for you.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 August 06 20:03 BST (UK) »
Jan. Some of my family came from Worthen they were millers at Worthen and maybe Brockton also. Edward Davies and his wife Elizabeth Davies. They had two children to my knowledge Edward George Davies born 1829 andThomas Davies born 1831. I would be very grateful if anyone could tell where they were in1851 and 1861 and any further info on the family. I believe Elizabeth Davies may have died around May 1876 it is recorded in Churchstoke School Log on 1st June 1876 that my grandfather took the day off school to attend his grandmothers funeral, but I may have the wrong grandmother. Edward George Davies was a shop keeper and draper at Top Shop ,Churchstoke, FROM AROUND 1858/9 TO AROUND 1889. I believe Thomas Davies may have been a shop keeper and postmaster in Llandrinio where his father and mother were shop keepers at the time of thier births in 1829 and 1831. Can anyone help me  trace the family further I would most grateful for any help. Many thanks.

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 October 06 20:50 BST (UK) »
If it is of any help to anyone, I too am looking for 'Davies's' from Worthen,  I managed to find some of the people I was looking for on the - Shropshire, England: Parish Registers, Hereford Diocese.

These gave me marriages, baptisms and deaths 1754-1812

I would not say that these records are complete, but I put in the name I was looking for and ended up being able to trace what I believe to be all of the family I was looking for.

I also looked on the IGI of the 'Family Search.org  which had some information which helped.

In the parish records
I found back to the marriage of Thomas Davies and Margaret Williams  in 1800.
 The family search site tells me that both were born about 1774 in Worthen   although I have no proof to back this up, but when you are searching for Davies's in Shropshire  any information that points anywhere is worth looking at.

My lot moved away although I do not know the exact date, but a marriage in Much Wenlock in 1844 (John Davies to Ann Tomkiss) is followed by a census mention in Penkridge Staffs in 1851  so I have not had the same problem with missing census records.
Lindy
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire