Author Topic: Charles WHS Charlton  (Read 3411 times)

Offline anniecranky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Boo Boo
    • View Profile
Charles WHS Charlton
« on: Thursday 13 October 11 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello

With valued previous info regarding my Maternal tree which was found on Rootschat I am trying to find anything re Charles William Henry Shields Charlton, from his daughters marriage cert it indicates that he was a Naval Commisioners Clerk (hard to decipher) and I'm not positive but he possibly worked for Smiths Ship Yard, Tynemouth?  He died aged 48 in approx 1871.  It would be lovely if I could find something of his time at the Ship Yard - I have Census records for him and his family but not much re his job.

Thank you
Annie  :)
Northumberland, Alnwick:
James Arkle - married to Mary Jane Charlton approx 1890/92 but shown as deceased by the time his daughter Jamesina born in Jul 1893.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles WHS Charlton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 October 11 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

There was a Smith's shipyard/workshop at Glasshouse Street,  Newcastle upon Tyne according to the English Heritage website.

Whether it was at Tynemouth or Newcastle, the people to help you are at TWAS (Tyne and Wear Achive Service) at Blandford Street, Newcastle upon Tyne. Their contact details are:

Archives
Discovery Museum, Blandford Square, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 4JA
Email: archives AT twmuseums.org.uk
Tel: (0191) 277 2248
Fax: (0191) 230 2614

Send them an email, they are usually helpful.

Gen in Northumberland UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline anniecranky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Boo Boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Gen

Thank you so much for the information and contact details re my Grt Grt Grandfather Charles WHS Charlton, I shall email them asap, it's just what I needed as I didn;t know where to start.

Thanks once again.
Annie  :)
Northumberland, Alnwick:
James Arkle - married to Mary Jane Charlton approx 1890/92 but shown as deceased by the time his daughter Jamesina born in Jul 1893.

Offline EllieW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 February 12 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annie - Your post came up in a Google search for "Shields Charlton". Last Thursday I was at Durham University Library digging out copies of wills for my GGGG Grandfather Archibald Charlton (will dated 1844) and his father Reginald Charlton (will dated 1822). Archie's was pretty much as I imagined, with all the sons and daughters matching my other research. Reginald's was very different. Instead of any mention of Archibald and others, Reginald's last will and testament revoking all others left his entire estate to Mary Shields, his servant! Reginald died in 1825 and the will was contested in Chancery (London court) by John Charlton. Mary and John Dodd were the defendants and they won the case. I'm telling you this because I posted on the thread of a lady called Joanne last night who said Reginald and Mary had children called Shields Charlton. Your Charles WHS dying aged 48 in 1871 would mean he was born around 1823 - just after Reginald's will was changed in favour of Mary Shields. I hope you don't mind me rambling like this - I am trying to get my head round it as up until last week he had a family of about eight children with Jane Charlton (nee Wann) all born in the 1780s and 90s. I had a copy of the will done which I will scan and send if it fits with your research.

Offline anniecranky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Boo Boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 12 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello EllieW

Thank you so much and what a lot of information and fascinating too. On my Grt Grandmothers birth cert (Mary Jane Charlton) her father was Charles William Henry Shields Charlton and mother was Jane which fits so far, Jane and CWHS had three children together Charles , Sarah and Mary Jane (my Grt Grandmother) , Jane had three sons previously, John Joseph, Robert and Joseph details which were on the 1871 Census. Jane must have been pregnant with Mary Jane when CWHS died as her birth year is 1871, CWHS's occupation was (I think as the writing was hard to read) a Naval Commisions Clerk for Smiths Ship Building Yard which fits in with what my Mum used to say. Jane's three sons had the surname of Boak so I can only assume that was her first husbands name. The names and the date of Charles death all fit and I am in the process of sending for his birth and death cert. to verify names etc., Mary Jane went on to marry James Arkle and they lived in Alnwick.  I would love to see the will as this would certainly add to my family history.

Thank yu once again EllieW
Kind regards
Annie
Northumberland, Alnwick: