Author Topic: Father of Roseanna Bellamy - Coningsby COMPLETED thank you  (Read 4064 times)

Offline meggiemoo3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Father of Roseanna Bellamy - Coningsby
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 October 11 10:40 BST (UK) »
It gets better and better - more searching on the internet, this time for James Holmes led me to find this article which was published in the Lincoln, Rutland and Stamford mercury newspapers on 31 January 1845 (too soon for Rosanna but the right time for her older sister Emma):

Police Office, Boston, 24 Juanuary - an order made for James HOLMES farmer of Walcot for the maintenance of the illegitimate child of Sarah BELLAMY

So Geoff-E it is looking more likely that the James Holmes you found could possibly be my gr gr gr grandfather after all. Although if the first child was born around 1845 and the last in 1858 thats one long affair he had with Sarah!

Off to do some more searching....
Taylor - Lincs
Jackson - Lincs
Burrows - Norfolk
Ambrose - Norfolk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 October 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
He seems to be a bit of a cad, doesn't he?  ;D

I don't know if you have her parents' marriage

13 May 1811 at Billinghay
Richard BELLAMY (wid) to Susanna HARRAD

Here (bottom left) http://www.lincstothepast.com/Marriages/559450.record?ImageId=52214&pt=T

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline meggiemoo3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 October 11 11:27 BST (UK) »
He certainly does. I've found further information out after looking at someone else's family tree.

It would seem that he is the reputed father of all 5 of Sarah's children - although there only seems to be one application for maintenance that I've found so far. He is the son of John and Elizabeth Holmes (nee Ullyatt) and was born about 1822 in Walcott. He died 29 May 1882 (not pre 1866 as believed to be according to Rosanna's marriage certificate but then I suppose that this is what she could have been told by her family).

Sometime between 1851 and 1858 Sarah and I presume her children moved to Sutton St James, Lincs -not sure if she was still seeing James - her last child was born here but she could have been pregnant at the time of moving, who knows? According to the source, Sarah died on 23 April 1860 in Sutton St Edmund, Lincs. This would then explain why her children are dotted all over the place in the 1861 census - mother dead and goodness about the father.

Would it be possible for someone to do some census looking up and see if they can find out what happened to James between 1841 and his death in 1882. it would be interesting to see whether he married, had children, remained a farmer, etc. The more and more I find out about him the more I feel for Sarah. She must have had a real thing for this chap as she reputably had 5 children with him between 1842 and 1858 so well over 10 years.

Thanks in advance
Taylor - Lincs
Jackson - Lincs
Burrows - Norfolk
Ambrose - Norfolk

Offline pocketmouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Father of Roseanna Bellamy - Coningsby COMPLETED thank you
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 February 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I found this thread by chance while searching for my ancestor Rosanna Bellamy. She was my great gm and I am related to her via her son, Herbert Ernest Woods, who was my grandfather. So it seems likely that we are related too!
Not sure if you'll get this message after all this time (some helpful 'Rootschatters' suggested I try this route), but thought it was worth a try as I particularly wanted to say how helpful your information on Rosanna was. I'd found some of it myself, but your posts mentioned several items new to me, particularly regarding her father, who I'd also been trying to trace. So thank you!

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 April 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hello - it seems as though I found this again by chance - we've just moved back home to Lincolnshire and I started getting the family history bug again.

Yes we are related....my great grandmother Florence Woods was sister to your grandfather Herbert I believe.

It has been a very interesting puzzle to unravel and one I still can't seem to get to the bottom of and understand the relationship between Roseanna's parents - 5 children but no marriage and in times when this was highly frowned upon.....oh for access to a time machine!!!!

I now live at Sleaford and am a stones throw from both Walcot and Coningsby and am hoping at some point to try and do some research over there to see if I can shed any further light on the elusive James Holmes.

Its good to actual find another descendant of Roseanna. I did have details of a lady who was the granddaughter of Matthew (Roseannas brother)...I wrote to her but never heard back so assumed that she had passed away so that avenue came to a dead end.

Would love to hear more from you and perhaps between us we can get to the bottom of this mystery.

Offline pocketmouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 April 17 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for getting in touch. That was a nice surprise. Looks like we're second cousins once removed.

I'm relatively new to FH and have been researching the Bellamys, like you. I think you've managed to find out much more than I have, but I'm more than happy to share my findings with you.

I'm rather disorganised at the moment but will be in touch again shortly when I've sorted my notes out a bit.

I do hope that between us we can shed a bit more light on Sarah's unconventional life!