Author Topic: Stewart surname in Hamilton  (Read 11318 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Stewart surname in Hamilton
« on: Thursday 13 October 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello folks

As this surname was so common in Hamilton, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack attempting to whittle down results on SP.  So, opening this up to the boards here, on off-chance anyone else researching the surname has come across them:

Family 1

Joseph Stewart m Katie E Thompson 14/1/1898
at least one child
Georgina Stewart b1900/01
lived Aitken Street at 1901

Family 2

Thomas Stewart m Sarah Donnelly 15/1/1897
at least the following children
Margaret
Lizzie
lived at Bishop Street, Cadzow in 1903

As I have research up to 1903, am mainly hopeful of anything on either family after that. Joseph and Thomas were brothers.

ps

also interested on anything on another brother, John Stewart, who lived at Eddlewood Rows in 1912....don't know if he was married....possible entry for him at Hamilton Poorhouse in 1901.

and yet another brother, William H Stewart at Laudale Street with parents at  1901 ...know nothing on him after 1901 (parents died 1903 and 1912).

I was able to follow yet another brother, George, beyond 1901 and their sister Sarah died 1901.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart surname in Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 11 00:27 BST (UK) »
As I have research up to 1903, am mainly hopeful of anything on either family after that

The Scottish 1911 census is available on a pay per view basis on the Scotlands People website

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
As I have research up to 1903, am mainly hopeful of anything on either family after that

The Scottish 1911 census is available on a pay per view basis on the Scotlands People website

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I know that only too well, thanks, but wasn't actually looking for/asking for 1911 look ups (and haven't done my own at moment as, having spent hundreds of £ on SP over the numerous years I've been a member there (as no doubt have many others too), I limit myself to buying  credits only every now and again, but am not due to do so again for a while yet):

"As this surname was so common in Hamilton........ opening this up to the boards here, on off-chance anyone else researching the surname has come across them:"

Was really more hopeful of some fellow Stewart in Hamilton researcher out there having knowledge of these particular groups after the early 1900s, because it is either their line or they have inadvertently purchased records for them and found them not to be theirs.

Am happy enough, therefore, that this thread just sits on board until perhaps one day someone happens past and sees it. Have had good success with other such posts in past - on one line,  resulting in contact from someone who read my post 4 years after I made it.

:)

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 12 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Update on one of the above chaps:

Have tracked down what became of William H Stewart. Sadly, after moving to England for a while and marrying a Mary Samples there in 1912, then returning to Hamilton where they started a family, he died, rather young, in 1919, (out of Hamilton district as he was in hospital in Glasgow).

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 12 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotmum

I have Stewarts from that area in direct line. Tho as you correctly say , they are plentiful! Puter is in process of being fixed where all my records are so can't check certs.

My Stewart (Janet) married a Mair but of course she'd have had siblings. They were miners so a bit itinerant but if I come up with anything will let you know. Happy to send you my tree on a gedcom if it helps and you can have a look at Stewarts located to date and see if any fit what you're looking for.

Ann :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 12 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Scotmum, what was their mother's maiden name?

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 January 12 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotmum

Below are Bent Cemetery burials that look like those of your Stewarts based on the addresses you cited.

Stewart, William Henry, age 31, date of burial 3 May 1919, Royal Infrmary Glasgow
Stewart, William Henry, age 20 mos, burial 13 Sept 1917, 4 Landale St, Cadzow
Stewart, Mary, age 1, burial 6 Nov 1905, 6 Landale st, Cadzow
Stewart, Elizabeth Jane, age 66, burial 24 May 1912, 8 Landale St, Cadzow
Stewart, John, age 53, burial 7 Jan 1911, 119 Eddlewood Rows
Stewart, William, age 69, burial 23 Sept, 1938, 22 Eddlewood Rows
Stewart, Thomas, age 73, 24 June 1938, Royal Infirmary, Glasgow
Stewart, Thomas Hendry, age 7 wks, burial 20 Feb 1922, 13 Aitken St, Cadzow
Stewart, Thomas, 1 hr, burial 23 Sept 1903, 13 Aitken St, Cadzow
Stewart, Mary, age 1 yr, burial 20 Aug 1918, 13 Aitken St, Cadzow

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 12 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Could these be your Stewarts? Perhaps they'll provide some clues.

Stewart, Catherine, age 21, burial 21 March 1949, 12 Austine St, Cadzow
Stewart, Sarah, age 70, 21 April 1906, 46 Austine St, Cadzow
Stewart, Josephne, no age given, burial 15 Dec 1899, 23 Austine St, Cadzow

The following are all the burials for the name Joseph Stewart:

Stewart, Joseph, age 80, burial 25 Nov 1891, 38 Clydesdale Rows, Wishaw
Stewart, Joseph, age 64, burial 13 April 1928, 63 Castle St, Hamilton
Stewart, Joseph, age 21, burial 1 Dec 1930, 133 Balornock Rd, Glasgow
Stewart, Joseph, age 8 mos, burial 26 May 1948, Glenlee Hospital, Hamilton
Stewart, Joseph Hamilton, age 4, burial 4 Sept 1888, 49 Bailliescauseway, Hamilton

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 January 12 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ann, long time no chat. Yes, as you say, surname was common in area. This lot originated Ireland and moved to Hamilton late 1800s.

No Janet in the line so far, but will keep your offer in mind should I happen upon one.

Hello Sancti, their mother's maiden name was Armstrong, she and her hubby, James, migrated to Scotland late 1800s from the Monaghan/Fermanagh border area of Ireland. Youngest and second youngest went with them, then older siblings seemed to follow.

Hello Rodeo, and well found! Some of those addresses do indeed look good and the Landale/Laudale one is also on documents I have. Many thanks! I shall check over each of the entries you have listed and see what I can glean from them. Certainly, at first glance, the Elizabeth Jane Stewart burial ties with death I have for Eliza Jane Stewart (nee Armstrong). Bent Cemetery isn't one I am familiar with, so I have just googled it and realised, somewhat frustratingly, that I was within about a mile of it one day over Christmas/New Year holidays, as we were in Scotland then.

Are the details you have listed found in a book/CD?