Author Topic: Stewart surname in Hamilton  (Read 11384 times)

Offline orchardpark11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart surname in Hamilton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 January 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
my mother was Kitty Stewart Tagoat Wexford Ireland any chance they might be the same
Yours Laurence Doyle

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 January 12 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Some updates:

Ok, the John at 119 Eddlewood Rows must have been a different Stewart family. Have just checked my notes, and although I so far can't find a death for him (and have previously used credits on wrong Johns), I do have the John listed in my original post, as signing his mum's death cert in 1912, address given for him was 74 Eddlewood Rows.

As I thought, his mum Eliza Jane died 21st May 1912, so the 24th May burial would seem to be hers. Her hubby, James, also died at 8 Landale Street, in 1903, albeit I don't see his burial in your list,

I seem to have 33 Aitken Street listed for Joseph Stewart and family, but will keep the burials from 13 Aitken Street in mind, as always possible the 33 I have was a mistranscript. Will check my records again.

Thomas Stewart married at 22 Austine Street, so I will check the Austin Street entries you listed further too.

The infant William Henry Stewart at 4 Landale street looks to have been first born of William Henry Stewart snr, as having checked the death cert again of William snr, I see usual residence was noted as what seems to be number 4 (albeit not 100% clear on copy).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 January 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Scotmum, there is every possibility that the addresses you have are correct but families did move regularly as their family expanded, and in many cases to houses in the same street

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 January 12 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I've noticed that often, sancti, and so usually keep it in mind and don't rule folks out until I have enough proof either way.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 March 12 09:49 GMT (UK) »
my mother was Kitty Stewart Tagoat Wexford Ireland any chance they might be the same
Yours Laurence Doyle

Sorry, Wexford was an entirely different area of Ireland, so very unlikely to be any link.

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 March 12 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotmum

There is, in fact, a Bent Cemetery burial for your James Stewart

Stewart, James, age 69, date of burial 3 July 1903, 8 Landale St, Cadzow

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 March 12 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, rodeo, thanks!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 11:44 BST (UK) »
Posting some updates in case any links to any of the Stewarts in this thread should one day happen along.

also interested on anything on another brother, John Stewart, who lived at Eddlewood Rows in 1912....don't know if he was married

Now discovered that John married a Margaret West in Ireland in 1894. He then brought her to Hamilton. At 1901 census he was abroad serving in army. Sadly, he was then killed in WW1 07/08/1915 http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/685999/STEWART,%20JOHN , by which time his family lived at Morgan Street, Hamilton. Five children, Elizabeth, Violet , John, Marion, Joseph. Of these, have so far discovered that Violet Stewart married a John Dunsmore  (believed brother of http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=81582521 ) in 1917. She died 1956.

Family 2

Thomas Stewart
m Sarah Donnelly 15/1/1897
at least the following children
Margaret
Lizzie
lived at Bishop Street, Cadzow in 1903

Eventually tracked Thomas and Sarah down to Little Neston in Cheshire by 1911. Working in mines there. By then, children were Maggie, Elizabeth, James, Ruth, Mary and Thomas.Young Thomas was born there, whilst sister Mary was born back in Hamilton, so family must have moved after her birth. Trail thereafter has gone cold.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Family 1

Joseph Stewart m Katie E Thompson 14/1/1898
at least one child
Georgina Stewart b1900/01
lived Aitken Street at 1901

An update on this grouping. It seems they returned to Ireland:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Greenhill/Currin/524957/

Valuation Revision books record Joseph in the property until at least 1929. Daughter, Katie (Catherine), possibly married a neighbour's son, James Murphy, in 1927 (yet to be confirmed).