Author Topic: Walter Veitch  (Read 6141 times)

Offline aussiejim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Veitch
« on: Friday 14 October 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the marriage of Walter Veitch to my great grandmother (Helen Miller) Nee Watt her first husband David Miller (my great grandad) died in 1893 in Peebles -- She (Helen) died 1928 also in Peebles -- I can find a Helen Miller marrying an Alexander Veitch but something just does not add up -- e.g. The Parents names --- Children from her marriage to David were -- Ellen,James,David,Barbara,Jane Bertram (my Grandmother),and Andrew -- I have Walter & Helen in the 1911 Census in Peebles at 10 Bridge Gate (Peebles) and Walter being husband on Helens Death certificate --- I am also looking for his Death -- Any help would be greatly appreciated -- Regards Jim

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Veitch
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 15:53 GMT (UK) »
This is a real mystery Jim.  You need to try and find Walter Veitch without Helen somewhere.  I have looked and although there is a Walter Veitch born in Peeblesshire he was born 1874 and died single in Stranraer but he is on the 1911 single.  Another one Walter Hardie Veitch was born in Linlithgowshire but is the right age but he is factor of an estate so it is not him either.  I can find no other Walter Veitch and no record of a marriage. 

Barbara

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Expect you have this information - but just in case you haven't ...

Familysearch.org
David Miller married Ellen Watt 18th October 1872 Peebles, Scotland.

Baptism
Ellen Clark Miller born 9th December 1873 Peebles, Scotland.

?The same family?
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Looks like them Priscilla, but I think he has most of the information about Helen Watt apart from her remarriage to Walter Veitch who just doesn't seem to exist!  On the 1911 they say they have been married for 7 years but I can't find anything at all.  ???

Barbara

Offline aussiejim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 12 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help -- Sorry for late reply but been away for a while and then family came for holiday season -- Will look at what you posted and what I have then respond again -- Thank you again -- Regards Jim

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 12 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim,

Can you please be more specific as to the info you have.  How old was Walter on the 1911 census and what was his occupation?  What is the difference in parents names that causes you concern?

FYI between 1893 and 1911 there is only one Hellen Miller or Helen Watt marriage to a male Veitch- that is in 1903 - to an  (Alexander).  This is in 1903. This would tie in with the 1911 census of 7 yrs marriage.

As you already have this, what is 'Alexanders' occupation on the 1903 marriage and what is his age?  What is Helens age on the marriage entry and on the 1911 census?  Thank you..

Regards,  Steve  :)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 12 13:50 GMT (UK) »
The fact that it is in Wilton is a bit strange, a bit far from Peebles but it has to be her as if you do a search for a marriage for Alexander Veitch, the same marriage comes up indexed twice. Once to Helen Millar and one to Helen Watt.  So possibly he lied on the census and came from Hawick.  He was also quite a bit younger than her on the 1911 45 to her 58 and supposedly born in Peebles.  So we will wait to see what Jim has to say about the parents names on the actual certificate but I am now convinced this is the right couple.

Barbara