Author Topic: Tasmania: Thomas WAKEFIELD, Anne Eden WARD  (Read 3549 times)

Offline malayastar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tasmania: Thomas WAKEFIELD, Anne Eden WARD
« on: Saturday 15 October 11 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hello List

I am looking for the middle name of Thomas Wakefield my grt grt Grandfather
Parents Jame Wakefield and Catherine Conrad
Born 2 Aug 1862 New Norfolk Tasmania
Married Anne Eden Ward 18 Feb 1887 Green Ponds Maybe Bagdad
Died 9 Oct 1928 Plenty Tasmania

thank you

Tim Cordwell

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania: Thomas WAKEFIELD, Anne Eden WARD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 October 11 12:40 BST (UK) »

From Mercury 10 Oct 1928 -
death 9 Oct of John James Wakefield of Plenty, husband of  Eden Wakefield, 68yrs.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 11 12:52 BST (UK) »
He is always Thomas in BDMs and electoral rolls and he is not referred to as "John James" until his death, and then as "Thomas John James" in an In Memorium in 1929.

John WAKEFIELD (newspaper names him as John James) died in 1899 aged 39, and this matches an 1860 registration to James and Catherine. 

James WAKEFIELD aged about 46 attempted suicide in 1914, brother William and an Arthur are mentioned.

Perhaps the three sons who were unnamed at registration were William, James and Thomas.

You would need to access the New Norfolk parish registers to look for baptisms as these would definitely provide first names.  They are kept at Tas Archives.

Debra  :)

Offline malayastar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 11 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Debra and Wivenhoe for you information

I Have James, Willaim and Arthur down as Thomas's Brother

I will call into the Tas Archive during the week  to check his baptism

thanks again

Tim in freezing Tasmania

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 October 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,  I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here.  When I was a kid we all knew and old man as either Mr Wakefield or Tom.  He died at Red Cliffs in 1967 at the alleged age of 82 years, making him born c 1885.  The tales he told us kids were many, allegedly he served in the Boer War, maybe / maybe not as I can't find him in the military records on NAA.  William Roy Wakefield was a WW1 volunteer.
If and I repeat IF I am onto the same person potentially his father was John James Wakefield, b 1860 and married one Elizabeth Watson 1885 at New Norfolk (which seems to be the hub for Wakefields' at that time.  Elizabeth died from internal hemorrhage at 23 16 Dec 1887.  They had a daughter I think because Elizabeth is listed as 'mother of the bride' along with the father.  John James Wakefield c1907 or so.
Then in 1891 a John James Wakefield married Margaret Mitchell.  this John was also b 1860.  I have found records for the following children;
10 Oct 1891 - William Roy W.
25 Apr 1893 - twins Elsie Mary and Clarence John.  Both died at 8 weeks 27 Jun & 24 Jun 1893.
28 Feb 1895 Bernard Thomas W.   who died at Red Cliffs Vic 1967 with no parents listed as the informants didn't know who they were. 
Clare Lilly Veronica W. b 11 Oct 1897
It would be lovely to be able to complete Mr Wakefield's death certificate and at the same time knock down a brick wall for his family so they know what happened to him.  To the best of my knowledge he didn't marry.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail