Author Topic: How do I find Rahmalewich birth - Kharkov, Ukraine  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Nick The Duck

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do I find Rahmalewich birth - Kharkov, Ukraine
« on: Sunday 16 October 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hello  ;D

Please can someone suggest where I can look for birth records in Kharkov in the Ukraine.

I am searching for the birth record of Zoya Philoppovna Rahmalewich, born on 10 Oct 1904, possibly in Kharkov in the Ukraine, part of the Russian Empire at that time. It is possible that she was Jewish. It is believed she was one of the few family members who managed to escape the Russian Revolution in 1917. Her family were wealthy landowners and bankers in the Ukraine. Her father’s name is Philip Rahmalewich. He was a bank director. When Zoya was about 14, she married Harold Edgar Harris from Devon, England, possibly at sea. They were married in about 1918. After he died in 1935, she married again to William Reid in 1963 in London, England.

I am not sure of the correct spelling of her surname. There are variations. It is spelled “Rahmalewich” on the marriage certificate to her second husband William Henry Reid on 19 June 1963 at The Register Office, St Pancras, London. Her surname is spelled “Rachmalavitch” on the birth certificate of her son Philip Edgar Harris born 31 July 1921, in Devonport, Devon.

Any suggestions gratefully received!  :)

Nick
Ameghino - Italy
Delahay - Crickhowell & Abergavenny
Dicken - Derbyshire
Garrett - Oxfordshire
Glennon - Ireland
Jones - Breconshire
Long - Ireland
Reeves - West Bromwich
Taylor - Birmingham

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find Rahmalewich birth - Kharkov, Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Rahmalevich Philipp Alexandrovich in 1915 lived at Kharkov and worked at the office ot the State Bank (according to Kharkov address book for 1915.)
Birth certificate of Zoya Rahmalevich you can request at Kharkov Region State Archive

Mike

Offline Nick The Duck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 12 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your reply. I was really excited to learn that Philipp Rahmalevich lived in Kharkov in 1915. It would be great to see the original 1915 Kharkov address book. Please can you direct me to the source of information where you found this, so I can see if I can get a copy of the listing. Can you forward me a link please?

I have been struggling with this piece of research. Unfortunately, oral history is a poor substitute for written evidence. Originally, it was possible that Zoya was either born in Kharkov, lived in Kharkov, or left Russia on a boat called "Kharkov". So many possibilities! Since writing my post in October 2011, I learned that Philipp's daugher Zoya was born in Novgorod, Russia on 10 Oct 1904. However, your discovery that Philipp Rahmalevich lived in Kharkov suggests it is possible that Zoya may have lived in Kharkov too.

Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Nick the duck  ;D

Ameghino - Italy
Dicken - Derbyshire
Garrett - Oxfordshire
Glennon - Ireland
Jones - Breconshire
Long - Ireland
Reeves - West Bromwich
Taylor - Birmingham

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 12 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,

You can download Lharkov 1915 address book at http://depositfiles.com/files/6bvcls7b9

There is only one page where Philipp Rahmalewich is mentioned. So if you do not want to download whole book or have problems with downloading, just PM me your email and I will send you copy of the page with Rahmalovich.

Cheers
Mike

Offline Nick The Duck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 12 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the link, Mike.  ;D

I have sent you a PM.

Kind regards,

Nick the duck
Ameghino - Italy
Dicken - Derbyshire
Garrett - Oxfordshire
Glennon - Ireland
Jones - Breconshire
Long - Ireland
Reeves - West Bromwich
Taylor - Birmingham

Offline goodwitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 December 12 18:36 GMT (UK) »
This is obviously quite an old thread but I'd be interested if anyone managed to find out any more about Zoya Rahmalewich. Her second husband was a cousin of my mother in law, but she knew him as Walter, rather than William Reid.

I'm having a lot of trouble tracing the male side of the Reid line. My mother in law's father was Thomas Reid and we're assuming that Walter was a brother of Thomas.

I'd be grateful for any information.

Offline Nick The Duck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 December 12 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello goodwitch,

I'm not involved with family history research any longer. However, I can give you a bit of info and put you in touch with someone who may share your interest in the Reid research.

Zoya Philoppovna Rahmalewich was born in Novgorod, Russia on 10 Oct 1904. (NOT Kharkov, as originally thought.)
She died in Plymouth, Devon, England on 6 Aug 1998.

Her first husband was Harold Edgar Harris (born 3 Mar 1894, Stoke Damerel, Devon, England; died 13 Jan 1935, Plymouth, Devon, England.) They were married in 1918 (uncertain).

Her second husband was Walter Henry Reid (born about 1898 est; death date unknown). They were married on 19 Jun 1963 in London, England. Walter had a son - John Wilson Reid (b. Q4, 1935). The father of Walter Henry Reid was called John Wilson Reid, and he was the manager of a grocer's store.

If you would like to know more, please send me a personal message with your e-mail address and I will forward it to the people who are doing the Reid research. I will then leave it to them to get in touch with you.

Kind regards,

Nick The Duck

Ameghino - Italy
Dicken - Derbyshire
Garrett - Oxfordshire
Glennon - Ireland
Jones - Breconshire
Long - Ireland
Reeves - West Bromwich
Taylor - Birmingham

Offline goodwitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 December 12 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nick, I'll do that. The Reids are proving somewhat elusive to track down at the moment.

Offline Madreid

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 July 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
Zoya was my grandmother. She was born in Novgorod, Russia but also lived in Kharkov, Ukraine. She traveled widely in the Ukraine as a young girl. She did say her father was involved in banking. I can provide some info on the Reid's for you. Thanks for all your hard work!
MadReid :)