Author Topic: Any Tuckney Taylor descendents??  (Read 5414 times)

Offline rick1939

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any Tuckney Taylor descendents??
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 April 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Melanie,

Still finding my way round this site. I've been researching family for years and only just found rootschat. Can't find the last post I wrote to Don.

Anyway, the Tuckney I have found was born in Enfield, Middx, c.1855. He is definitely the man in the photograph. He married Elizabeth Scribbins in late 1879. So far I haven't found any children.

In my previous message I mentioned Edward Tuckney Wilmot. I believe he adopted the name Tuckney around the time he married, as I can't find any reference to it in any previous census forms. They must have all known each other.

My Gt. Grandfather was also Edward Wilmot. He married Maria Scribbins, sister of Elizabeth, in 1877, (still have orignal Marriage Cert.)

How Tuckney and Elizabeth met, I have no idea. (I do know how Edward and Maria met.) The three Scribbins sisters, together with their parents came to London from Somerset.

Back to Tuckney. The line I've followed in the 1851 census shows another one also born in Enfield, and so were his parents. Another member of the family was born in Cheshunt, which as you probably know is just North of Enfield.

Strangely, a visitor on the census, is George Tuck Smith, born in Scotland.

In 1841 census there seems to be only two. One Tuckney b. Enfield c.1825, and Tuckney, son of Tuckney and Rebecca, b. 1832 in Lincolnshire. There doesn't seem to be any evidence connecting these two, but who knows?

Sorry if this is a bit garbled.

Best wishes

Rick

Offline rick1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 April 12 14:38 BST (UK) »
Here's a strange coincidence. In the 1851 census Thomas Forman Taylor was born in Enfield c.1785. And I noted "Priscilla Forman was born around 1732 in Boston, Lincs." in a previous message.

Curiouser and curiouser......

Rick

Offline carltnm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 September 13 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think I'm a very distant cousin. My gg grandparents are George Carlton and Jane Tawlks from Wigtoft and Bicker. Jane's grand parents were Henry Tawlks and Mary Taylor. Mary's fater was Aquilla Taylor. I have a birth year of 1741 which would make him Jonathon Taylor's younger  brother or nephew. I have Aquilla's father as David.  I live in Modesto  CA. Martha Carlton-Magana

Offline carltnm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 September 13 01:00 BST (UK) »
I just took another look at my tree. Henry Tawlks parents are Henry Tawlks and Ann Forman. (Thus, my ggggg grandparents. I wonder what her relationship is to Priscilla. Martha

Offline sarahmocat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 December 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping that Thomas Forman Taylor who was baptised in 1785 at St Andrew, Enfield will turn out to be linked to the Taylors of Kirton-in-Holland.
He was the son of John and Sarah Taylor and he then had a son called Tuckney in 1825.
Having read Meggiemoo3's post I am wondering if my Thomas' father, John, might be the same as the John son of Jonathon and Priscilla who was baptised in 1756 in Kirton-in-Holland?
The coincidence of the names Forman and Tuckney seem too great otherwise!
Can anyone help?
Sarah Taylor

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 December 17 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Lincolnshire Archives have copies of the registers of St. Andrew, Enfield, one of which is the burial of James Tuckney Taylor in 1860. The other two, James and Ann, may be his parents. Ann was visiting her daughter, Alicia Holmes, sister of J.T., in 1861, and died the following year, aged 74. There is a possible burial of James in Edmonton District in 1849, age 67.

They seem to be the only names mentioned.

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Copies--made-1863--from-the-parish-registers-of-St--Andrew--Enfield--Middlesex/887057.record?pt=S

David

Offline sarahmocat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 December 17 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply - James (husband of Ann) was the brother of Thomas Forman Taylor. They clearly both had a Tuckney in their ancestry.

If, as I suspect, they are descended from the family who lived in Kirton, Lincs this would explain it.

It may interest others who are looking at various Tuckney Taylors on this thread that I have found where the name Tuckney comes from.
Priscilla Forman, who married Jonathan Taylor in 1753 and was the mother of John (1756) and Tuckney (1771), was herself born in 1730, the daughter of John Forman and Martha Gregson. Martha Gregson was born in Kirton in 1699 and was the daughter of John Gregson and Martha Tuckney who married in Kirton in 1698.