Author Topic: Donald families throughout Kincardineshire  (Read 3752 times)

Offline MoreGubbins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald families throughout Kincardineshire
« on: Sunday 16 October 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
I have put together a database of families and occurrences of the surname Donald throughout Kincardineshire, Aberdeenshire and Banffshire. It isn't online, because I want to share information, help people search as best I can, put cousins in contact with each other, and keep people up-to-date with developments if they so wish. If you send me a private message, I can give you access.

To give you some idea of what it contains:
- Nearly 2000 Donalds (limited to those born before 1851).
- 55% of individuals in the 1841 Kincardineshire census linked to around 12 families.
- 70% of individuals in the 1841 Aberdeenshire census linked to around 82 families.
- 64% of individuals in the 1841 Banffshire census linked to around 23 families.
- Half (1529) of the OPR baptisms linked to the 1841 census.
- The average tree goes back to 1767, the earliest to 1624.
- Hundreds of literature Donald records from 1432 onwards, including the 1696 and 1799 tax records.
- DNA profiling of the major Kincardineshire group, and two Aberdeenshire groups.

Please get in touch if you are researching a Donald ancestor born before 1851, or have information you can contribute, such as family trees, OPR transcriptions, death records, MIs, etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Iain.

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donald families throughout Kincardineshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain,
I have an  Ann DONALD marr. John MCBAY 22 Nov 1817, Banff, Banffs, found in the IGI familysearch Batch No. Ref. M111472.
My research is on the MCBAY/MCBEY line from Banff/ Kincs
I do not have any further information on the above couple.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Mike
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline MoreGubbins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donald families throughout Kincardineshire
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 11 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

I have an  Ann DONALD marr. John MCBAY 22 Nov 1817, Banff, Banffs, found in the IGI familysearch Batch No. Ref. M111472.

I don't have a John McBay (or variant) in my database. It's likely that I have the Ann Donald you're looking for - most of my individuals don't have their spouses listed. I had a quick look around and found the following, which may be of help to you:
(1) FreeReg.org.uk records that both John and Ann were living in Banff at the time of their marriage.
(2) The 1841 census records a John and Ann McBay living in North Castle Street, Banff, with John being a sawyer. Their ages are both given as 35, but this would mean between 35 and 40, suggesting they were quite young when they married.

Sorry not to be of any more immediate help, but at the moment, your Ann Donald could be any one of about a dozen individuals. Let me know if you find anything further that would narrow things down. Good luck!

Iain.