Author Topic: Cookley woman beheaded 1930 China  (Read 13712 times)

Offline lucy 123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cookley woman beheaded 1930 China
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jason did you have a relative by the name of Lilian Harrison who emigrated to Australia in 1910 ,i believe she was asister to Eleneor Harrison also there was a sister called Marion,          christine Worcestershire England.

Offline lucy 123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again sorry i spelt Eleanor wrong thats how it should be not very good at this sort of thing new to it.   christine.

Offline harr2jas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, Not sure about Lillie, could be a sister born later, But there was a Marion, any further info?
HARRISON - Kidderminster/Leicester/Loughborough, BASKERVILLE - Bromyard, COOPER - Wareham, BARTLETT - Swindon Wiltshire, Swanage
COOPER - Corfe Castle, Swanage, Wareham, Steeple
PERRINS and PERK - Old Swinford

Offline lucy 123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 August 12 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin,yes i believe Lilian was the youngest of 5 girls Eleanor Jane being the oldest then Helen,Marrian,Margeart,and Lilian,Lilian gave birth to a little girl in august 1910 who she had adopted to a family in cookley,that little girl was my mother she was given the name of Dora Harrison,Lilian then left this country to start a new life in Melbourne Australia,my mother died 30 years ago,i have part of the adoption paper and a letter from Lilian to her little girls adopted parents in cookley 1933 asking for any info on her, i have been trying to find out for the past few years what relatives there are in Australia.     Christine.

Offline grlune

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandad - John Gibbons (1920-2008)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 August 12 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

You could also try www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

It is a pay per view service - ongoing transcription of regional newspapers. I searched the phrase "Eleanor Harrison"+cookley
a few items listed!

grlune
NAMES & PLACES OF INTEREST:

EDWIN/MOISEY - Evesham (Worcs) and Birmmingam (Warks)
GIBBONS/GURNEY - Rugby (Warks),  Hackney (London)
HUGHES - Bromsgrove (Worcs)
LEACH/HEYWOOD/STANLEY/CATHRO - Toronto (Ontario, CANADA)
LUNE/LOON/LOONE - Birmingham, Fillongley and Coleshill (Warks), Nelson (Lancs)
VINCENT/HUNTER - Bloxham (Oxon), Kenilworth (Warks) and Huyton, Roby near Liverpool

*Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daveywills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 October 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I have a letter written by Eleanor in it's original envelope from China, it is addressed to my Aunt and was a couple of years before she was murdered, Eleanor was my Aunt's sunday school teacher and they became good friends.
This was left in my Aunt's possessions, I also have some copies of photographs of Eleanor but sadly not the originals.
I along with my Aunt was born in Cookley.
Regards
Dave

Offline harr2jas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 October 14 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information, the pieces you have sound amazing. Is there any chance you could scan them and share them with me (including the old envelope) it would be a great momento of her time in China. I am aware that a university has many letters written by her to the church but I have not been able to see these. I have sent you a PM with my email, regards Jason
PS: I have not seen a photo of her before.
HARRISON - Kidderminster/Leicester/Loughborough, BASKERVILLE - Bromyard, COOPER - Wareham, BARTLETT - Swindon Wiltshire, Swanage

Offline John Jemmett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
Could someone please assist me in searching for local newspaper articles on my Great Great Grandfather's Niece;
Eleanor Jane HARRISON born 1872 Cookley and died 04th October 1930 in China after being beheaded by bandits.
I would love to read some/any local newspaper articles on the incident to find out more about my Family connection in Cookley and see if more details about the incident and my Family line can be obtained.
As this was an international incident I have read articles from other sources and papers but nothing from the Kidderminster/Cookley area.
 Much appreciated Jason Harrison NSW Australia
Hi Jason,

Are you still interested in Eleanor Harrison?

I am a g-g-grandson of Charles Harrison who was a great uncle to Eleanor.  I have in my possession a dozen or so letters written by Eleanor from China and Cookley to her uncle until Charles's death in Ilfracombe in 1907.  These letters are usually signed 'your affectionate niece Nellie'. I have never transcribed these letters but I could scan them and forward them to you if you liked.  I also have other letters that could be of interest to you including letters from Joseph Harrison written on his Wire company's notepaper.  Some of the handwriting is dreadful but could be worth trying to decipher!

If you let me know your line of descent I can see what might be most relevant to you and of most interest.  I also have family tree showing my descent from the Harrison family which might contain something of interest.

Kind regards,

John Jemmett

Offline harr2jas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 October 15 04:11 BST (UK) »
Dear John,
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my message. I am very interested in corresponding with you about our family history. I will try and send you a personal message via roots chat with my email address now, regards Jason