Author Topic: MUAT surname in Angus  (Read 8146 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: MUAT surname in Angus
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I've registered the surname MUAT with the Guild of One Name Studies (GOONS) so am searching for any references to this surname world-wide. 

Just for clarification.

G F Black doesn't list Muat separately, but he lists Mouatt, Mowat and Mowatt as spelling variants, and also cites Muhaut, Mouhaut, Mouhat, Muhaut, Muhauth, Maath, Meuatt, Mohuat, Mout, Movat, Mowait, Mowaite, Mowit and Mwat. Are you looking for references to all spellings, or just 'Muat'?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline angusg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I have an enquiry on the Kincardine Board
regarding Penelope BEATTIE who married an Andrew MOWAT or MOWATT in 1823 at Benholm.

Penelope died in Bervie 1898

They appear in in various censu(ii) in Bevie he was a Carrier.
much of the information came from Ev the board moderator and all round good person, or as they say in Hockey MVP (most valuable player).

Topic: What happened to Penelope BEATTIE from Benholm?  (Read 344 times)
Watt, Beattie,Glass,McDougal, Guthrie,Blackie,Pringle,Balmer,Headridge,Hunter,France,Greenhill
Gordon,Lawson,Anderson,Reid,Stott,Milne,Jackson,Walker McArthur,Hardie.Dunnet,Dundas
Thorburn, Mosley, Stewart, Wood, Gladstone, Darrie,Melrose
Duff,and in the States/Canada: Kidder,Duff, Blake,Robertson,Kerr.

Offline Lorna1320

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian!

Pretty much them all - as I've had a few variations in Haddington, East Lothian - and they have all turned out to be the same family!  Totally confusing, but that is what makes it fun!

Thanks again,

P.S. I notice that you are 'Forfarian' - my Fyfe/Petrie/Milne/Lowson family were all from Forfar - its a place I adore as I have quite a few members of my family still living there.  My ancestor Andrew Fyfe owned and ran the quarry (known locally as Fyfe's Quarry) at Balmashanner - and I particularly love this area of Forfar.  We even support Forfar Football Team!  And my Uncle is their physiotherapist!

:) :) :)
MUAT (One Name Study) - World-Wide; Thomson/Burn/Dickson/Herkes/Muat/Briggs - East Lothian; Fyfe/Thomson/Mitchell/Petrie/Donaldson/Rust (plus others) - Angus; Dawson/Mudie - Dundee; McLauchlan - Blair Atholl

Offline Lorna1320

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angusg

Much appreciated.  I will add this in - never know where it will lead to.

Thanks again.

Lorna1320
Edinburgh
 :)
MUAT (One Name Study) - World-Wide; Thomson/Burn/Dickson/Herkes/Muat/Briggs - East Lothian; Fyfe/Thomson/Mitchell/Petrie/Donaldson/Rust (plus others) - Angus; Dawson/Mudie - Dundee; McLauchlan - Blair Atholl

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 February 12 08:49 GMT (UK) »
I notice that you are 'Forfarian'

Yes. We have 'met' before elsewhere - if you look at my surnames you'll remember.

Anne
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline robyndale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 February 13 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna, William and Euphemia Mowat are my GGGG Grandparents. There daughter Henrietta Helen Mowat married Henry Thomas Vine Robertson, and came to Australia in about 1853. Would be great to make a connection with you.

Offline Cowiedavid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 March 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, this is my first post to this forum and my wife is also a descendant of Henrietta Helen Mowat & Henry Thomas Vine Robertson.  I have them in the the 1851 census in Nethergate in Dundee with Henrietta Helen stated as being born in Aberdeen but I cannot find any reference to her birth from Scotland's people. Her death information in Australia also cites her birthplace as Aberdeen. Can any person assist me with confirming her birthplace or provide any further clues to help me find out more?
In my family I also have links to Mouat's / Mowat's from Kincardineshire.  Thanks in advance for any assistance, David, Melbourne but originally from Stonehaven
Stephen - Kincardineshire, Scott - Angus and Kincardineshir, Gove - Kincardineshire, Young - Perthshire, Whyte - Angus, Darge - West Lothian, Ramsay - Angus, Binnie -West Lothian, Anderson - Kincardineshire, Adams - Kincardineshire.