Author Topic: Adam Loftus Lynn and Henry L Linn  (Read 6428 times)

Offline scracka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Loftus Lynn and Henry L Linn
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 July 18 01:22 BST (UK) »
This is the rest of the info on Jemima...……………..
•   the residence of her mother, stated to be, 34 Urquhart St, has not been visited so the present condition [1995] of the site cannot be described,
•   LL says all eight of the Lynn girls were good-looking talented redheads – on this the CWP’s agree,   
•   ALL was redheaded and one of his three sons certainly was; there is no confirmatory evidence Marianne, the mother, was one way or the other, but that would be most unusual genetically,
•   certainly, LL’s mother, Sarah Eliza, was of striking appearance even in old age, 
•   LL makes references to "…Aunt Jemima being a governess to the Hamilton children" the children of Sarah Eliza. 
•   from this and other references, it would seem Jemima was one daughter of Adam Loftus Lynn with whom LL had some contact,
•   her notes about this aunt are tinged with signs of obvious affection, 
•   LL certainly would never have met the oldest aunt, Minna,
•   apparently LL had little intimate contact with another older aunt, Marianne, otherwise she would have known the fate of the eldest son, [Adam] Loftus; knowledge that Marianne certainly had, but Sarah Eliza did not, if the quite erroneous story LL told of his early death had its source with her mother. [See Part 14: The Sons]. 
•     it is difficult to see how the "…Aunt Jemima being a governess to the Hamilton children" could have come about. 
•     it is also difficult to see how the children could have ‘gone ridees’ on Jemima’s long button up boot, unless she visited Ballarat frequently in the years of the Hamilton children’s early childhood. 
•     Sarah Eliza Cherry Lynn, married on 10 April 1882 in Church of England Christ Church pro-Cathedral, Ballarat, just three months after Jemima married, 
•     the Hamilton children were
1.   Fenwick Loftus [Dick] Hamilton,    born 1884,
2.   Marianne [Tiger] Lynn Hamilton,    born 1886,
3.   Rupert James Lynn Hamilton,    born 1890,
•     at the date of Jemima’s husband’s death, they would have been 12, 10 and 6 respectively; ages where a governess might be employed. 
•     however, why would Jemima undertake the task?  it certainly would not appear that she was short of money and needed employment,
a)   being a partner in her late husband’s successful business in Donald and
b)   dying wealthy, see 2 below,
•   one is led to surmise that LL may be recalling some other relationship altered by the passing of the years,
•     perhaps Jemima stayed with her younger sister for an extended period either after W J Waddell died 17 August 1896, or after Fenwick Hamilton died just two months earlier on 23 June 1896. Coincidently, both died of the same disease,
•   it might be noticed that the address given in marriage notice is not that in Muir Street, the residence of ALL, where he lived before his death, though it is not far away, and of course, it is not that in Alfred town, where Marianne Lynn would spend the rest of her life, for as yet her youngest daughter, Sarah Eliza Cherry had not yet married Fenwick Hamilton.
1. Donald Express, 20/1/1882, and Argus, 26/1/1882,
WADDELL - LYNN. - On the 3rd inst. at the residence of the bride's Mother, [34 Urquhart St., Ballarat], 1 by the Rev. H Swan - Wm John Waddell, of [son of Wm Waddell of County Down] Donald, to Jemima, seventh daughter of the late Adam Loftus Lynn of Ballarat, solicitor.
2. Argus, 11/10/1927,
WADDELL-On the 9Th October, 1927, at the residence of her daughter (Mrs. Harold Birtchnell) Mt Gwynne, Mulwala,  (NSW), Jemima, widow of the late W J. Waddell, of Donald, in her 80th year. [Contradicts Obituary below].
3. The Dandenong Journal, Thursday 12 January 1928
Jemima Waddell, - formerly of Dandenong, and recently of Mount Gwynne Mulwala, N.S.W., who died on 9th October 1927, left by will dated 10th August 1925; personal property valued at  Ł12,206 to her children and grand-children.

Offline Lizre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 July 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again Scracka, this is all very interesting. I believe I may have found where Jemima is buried. Possibly Yarrawonga Cemetery in Victoria. This person died on the same day as our Jemima.

Offline scracka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 July 18 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi.
Yarrawonga makes sense and is probably right.  I'll see if I can access the Cemetery Records soon.
Thank you for that. You may have received a couple of emails under a strange name to you.  I apologise for any confusion caused thereby. Scracka was my childhood nick name and like a lot of such, I am still better known by that name to some, than by my real name. 
Look for my emails with address containing mcadie. I have sent you my 'Part 12: Jemima Waddell' file [659 kb].
I'll send you a list of all the parts, so you can choose.
Regards.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 September 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
From 'Houses of Wexford' (with special thanks to David Rowe & Eithne Scallan)
-------------------------
Innyard House, Fethard-On-Sea.
(also Inyard-Inguard-Irmgard)
====
History.
Innyard house was probably built about 1780.

An Eleanor Mildway, daughter of Loftus of Fethard Castle, married John Lynn, who came to Fethard before 1746.
Around 1780, Lynns vacated Fethard Castle.
The father, John, and son, Adam, went to Dungulph, but John jnr went to Inyard where decendants resided until about 1900.
Lewis in 1837, remarked, 'Inyard, the seat of the Lynn family, is situated in tastefully disposed grounds.
According to Cloney, Thomas Keogh Lynn (surgeon) lived the last 30 years of his life in Inyard where he died in 1890 aged 89.

The last Lynn of Innyard was Henry's son, William Henry Lynn.
The date of his death is 1915 and included among detailed memorial inscriptions dating from 1800 onwards in the cemetery in Fethard-On -sea.
=================

Offline scracka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 September 18 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. In the Adam Loftus Lynn family papers here, the indications were that Inyard [sometimes spelt Innyard] was village and not a house.  My error obviously.  I understand Inyard fell into disrepair and has recently - last few years - been reconstructed and is now a guest house. Adam Loftus Lynn went from Inyard to the village of Salt Mills.
 Thanks again.