Author Topic: Tracing my Grandfather  (Read 15573 times)

Offline ceve5478

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my Grandfather
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 November 11 11:57 GMT (UK) »
All,

I just wanted to say thank you very much for your help.  On the off chance that it might yield something I also made enquiries to a couple of parishes in Tralee, and got the below response.

"I failed to find a record of the marriage of Thomas Whelan and Nora Guiney in Tralee, but, for other reasons, I was in the General Register Office in Dublin and I found a record of their marriage in Cork in 1912 and I attach a copy of same.  This shows that Nora was from Kanturk in Co. Cork, which is in the diocese of Cloyne.

The baptismal and marriage records of the diocese of Kerry, up to the year 1900, are now available free on the website www.irishgenealogy.ie.  The records of the diocese of Cloyne are on the website www.irish-roots.ie, but you have to pay to view them.  However, it may be worthwhile to do so if you want to research Nora’s ancestors.

Having said that, I failed to find a record of Thomas’s baptism in Kerry.  The only record of a Thomas Whelan, son of Maurice Whelan, is from Lixnaw Parish (about 10 miles north of Tralee) and dates from 1840, which would put him over 70 when he got married.

Details of the Censuses of Ireland 1901 and 1911 are now available free on the website www.census.nationalarchives.ie.  I failed to find the Whelans in the 1911 census, but they are in the 1901 census.  To find them, enter the following in the search engine:
Census Year:  1901
Surname:  Whelan
County:  Kerry
Townland/Street:  Manor West
DED:  Tralee

The census gives Thomas (Tom)’s age as 26, which means he was born about 1875 and tells us that his mother’s name was Hannah, and he had a brother Charley, born about 1881 and a sister Mary, born about 1890.

Armed with this information, I went back to the irishgenealogy website and found a family at Manor where the parents were Maurice Whelan and Johanna Foley.  They had six children, Jeremiah, born 19th September 1871, Honora mary, born 11th March 1873, Catherine Mary, born 22nd August 1876, John, born 5th February 1878, Charles, born 1st March 1880 and Mary, born 21st November 1889.

Charles and Mary match the census.  The others may have left home before 1901 or, sadly, may have died young.  The mystery is that there is no Thomas.

Nora’s family are in the 1911 census.  To find them, enter 1911/Guiney/Cork/Gurteenard/ Castlemagner in the search engine.  This shows that Nora was 31, so was born about 1880.  Her father, Timothy, was 71, so was born about 1840, and her mother was dead.

The family are also in the 1901 census and the mother, Ellen, was still alive and was the same age as her husband.

I found records of the baptisms of Thomas and Nora’s four children.
Joseph Anthony, born 7th March 1913, married Margaret Knibbs on 15th January 1942 at St. Joseph’s, Portland Crescent, Manchester 13.

Eleanor Mary was born on 11th January 1917.

Jeremiah was born on 21st August 1918, as you know.

Timothy Thomas was born on 3rd April 1921 and married Edna Rose Yearling on 4th July 1945 at Holy Cross, Plymouth.

All four were baptised in the chapel of St. Catherine’s Hospital, Tralee, which was near to where they lived at Manor."

Thanks again

Charlie

Offline johnwhelan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 November 11 21:23 GMT (UK) »
The Maurice Whelan family are on the 1911 census site, wrongly listed as Whelon, I have filled in the form to correct this.

I am the grandson of Maurice's son John - an interesting character who was a surgeon commander in the Royal Navy and fought in the Boer War and WW1. His obituary describes him as a "well known big game shot" and "possessed of a rare gift of originality of expression and demeanour". His only son, the late Charles was my father.

I have a distant memory from the 1970's when I was 8 of attending a wedding in Leiecestershire where I met Derry the racehorse trainer and enjoyed a drive in a (to my young eyes!) splendid Jaguar  car he owned!

Offline johnwhelan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 November 11 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Looks like we're both tracing the same family. JW's obituary describes him as being born at Manor House, Tralee which comes back as a company office if googled as "Manor House, Tralee, Co. Kerry", so the building may still be standing. I hope to get to Tralee and see.

http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlker/grifftralee.html  mentions a Jeremiah Whelan from 1851. I wonder if he was Maurice's father.

http://eppi.dippam.ac.uk/documents/17509/eppi_pages/469400 is a list of the 100 largest rate payers in Kerry and also mentions Maurice.

Offline johnwhelan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 November 11 21:59 GMT (UK) »
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002515084/

is the 1911 census record which has Thomas on it.

Offline ceve5478

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 November 11 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Wow!  That would of been my Grandad, although I'm not to sure if he ever "owned" a Jaguar!  The Manor House in Manor West is the family home, I think both of my aunts have been there to see it.

I think Jeremiah is Maurice's father, but I can't get any hard eveidence to suggest this, the Whelan's have certainly covered their tracks!

I'm on ancestry and will share my tree with you if you pm me.

Charlie

Offline Seamus145

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlie CEVE5478, I'm new here and would like to email you about Dermot Boggy Whelan who I met many years ago when he called to see my father who worked at
Manor in Tralee in the 1920's.
thanks Seamus

Offline ceve5478

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seamus,

I've sent you a PM with my email, would love to hear what you ahev to tell me!

Regards

Charlie

Offline Dawn Shelley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 February 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just thought I'd tell you...I used to work with your Grandfather - the Legend that was - Boggy Whelan!!!! God I was scared of that man!!! Haha! I worked with him for nearly 2 years at the Stud Farm in Epsom, Lavendou Stud in Chalk Lane.... it was 1986 - 88! I was only 16, my first ever job...I loved it! He was amazing with the horses - I was in awe of him he was so  natural & could calm the most highly strung of horses! Nothing fazed him!!! He never really spoke to me - he was far to busy with his horses to speak to a mere stable girl, but I had the utmost respect for him, every once in a while, if you crept up on him, you'd hear him talking to the horses so gently.....an amazing but stern man.