Author Topic: I would like help looking up John James  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Clockmaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I would like help looking up John James
« on: Saturday 07 May 05 20:31 BST (UK) »
My GGF John James married an Elizabeth Ann Neck in 1881 in Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales.  I have found what we believe to be there marriage license.

On Jan 3 of 1881 John James (also known in the family bible as William John James) was 50 married and Elizabeth Neck was 27.

I can trace Elizabeth roots but I am unsure of John's

So far in the census of 1881 Elizabeth resided at 6 Clifton St with her Daughter Emmaline who was 4.  John was a master mariner and at the time he was on the Richard Fisher.

I am Looking for info on other family members of John & Elizabeth

We believe John moved to Newfoundland in the mid 1880's and Elizabeth shortly followed.

I  believe that there son Frank H James was born in Wales or close by in 1886 and Emmaline is really Florence Emmaline.  Also I am told by the family their youngest son Cecil Stanley James was born in abt 1891 on a trip over to newfoundland.

John James also is said to be from Dorset he was a Master Mariner.  He also was a widower in 1881 when he married Elizabeth I do not know who his previous wife was or if he had other children.

His father was also John James and he was "Coast Guard". 

In short I would like to confirm that John and Elizabeth are the same couple if I can confirm there siblings.

Also I would like to know more about John and where his family came from and if he had brothers sisters etc. also what ships he was on.

If anyone can help me please reply
James

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: I would like help looking up John James
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 05 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

John James isan incredibly common name, so without knowing what part of Dorset he was born there is very little chance of finding the correct one in earlier census records.

I have tried to find John James in the 1871 census, but there are so many of the correct age who were born in Dorset it really is a hopeless task. Also, as John James may have actually been called William James this makes the problem even harder.  I did find one John James in Cardiff who was quite promising, but he turned out to still be with his wife and family in 1881 so that ruled him out!

You wrote:

<i>"In short I would like to confirm that John and Elizabeth are the same couple if I can confirm there siblings."</i>

Can you elaborate a bit - I'm not sure what you mean by that - the same couple?  You seem to have a fair bit of information to go on, so I'm wondering if there is just a little snippet extra that might make a census search worthwhile.

Regards

Caro

BROCKWAY: Glamorgan & Wiltshire
CROCK:Glamorgan, London, Surrey & North England
DIAMOND: Glamorgan & Taunton, Somerset
DOMONEY/DOMINEY: Dorset
HARVEY: Glamorgan
LATCHEM: Radstock, Somerset
PAGE: Glamorgan & Warwickshire
PLENTY: Glamorgan & Somerset
ROBERTS: Glamorgan & Radstock,  Somerset
RODERICK: Glamorgan
SANDERCOCK: Cornwall
SHAW: Glamorgan, Somerset & Devon
THOMAS: Glamorgan
VENNER: Somerset
WEBB: Glamorgan & Tufton, Hampshire
WRIVET/WREVET[T]: Cornwall

Offline Clockmaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 05 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Caro

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

What I mean by "if I can confirm " is that I am not 100% sure if this is the same John James. Because I can not confirm the birth of other children by Elizabeth and John.

My Eliabeth and John had other children that I can confirm the birth of, but I can not find them in census.  I have been told they were born in the UK....now is that wales or what I do not know.  They are:

Florence Emmaline James born abt 1877 (we Believe this is the Emmaline that is in the Census)

Frank H James born abt 1886 (born in the UK)

Cecil Stanley born 04 June 1891 (born a trip over to newfoundland)

Evelyn James (believed to be adopted)

I can not find any of these people in the census so I am wondering if I have the right John/Elizabeth James

I was also wondering if I know he was on a ship in 1881 and he was a master mariner in wales is there some place I can go to look him up.
James

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 May 05 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just had a look at the 1881 enumerators transcript image and living at the SAME address as Elizabeth James and Emmeline (but seemingly in a different household) is a Sarah NECK, widow, aged 69 born Fishponds, Gloucester.  As Elizabeth's name at the time of her marriage was Elizabeth Neck this means that it is almost certainly your Elizabeth.  Presumable Sarah Neck is a relative of Elizabeth's.  Sarah Neck is also listed as Head, there is also a lodger John Evans at the address.

Living next door is a John James and his wife, he is  not connected to your John James, but it just goes to show exactly how common the name is!

So it would seem almost certain that your John James was at sea at the time of the 1881 census.

If you know the name of the vessel he was likely to be on in 1881 I would assume that there is some way of finding out if records for that ship exist.  I'm afraid I don't know how you would go about finding them though - I did find this website by googling:

http://www.angelfire.com/de/BobSanders/Swansea81.html

That link takes you to the first page (there are two pages)  of ships in port at Swansea in 1881.  There may be something on the main site that will help point you in the right direction with regards to finding out about ships at sea.

Good Luck as if you can just find out what part of Dorset John James was from, you may be able to find him in earlier census records, possibly with his parents/siblings

BROCKWAY: Glamorgan & Wiltshire
CROCK:Glamorgan, London, Surrey & North England
DIAMOND: Glamorgan & Taunton, Somerset
DOMONEY/DOMINEY: Dorset
HARVEY: Glamorgan
LATCHEM: Radstock, Somerset
PAGE: Glamorgan & Warwickshire
PLENTY: Glamorgan & Somerset
ROBERTS: Glamorgan & Radstock,  Somerset
RODERICK: Glamorgan
SANDERCOCK: Cornwall
SHAW: Glamorgan, Somerset & Devon
THOMAS: Glamorgan
VENNER: Somerset
WEBB: Glamorgan & Tufton, Hampshire
WRIVET/WREVET[T]: Cornwall

Offline Roder51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 15 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hello
  I am Roderick from Newfoundland and have been working on the DOMINEY file for quite some time now. I have a John C. Dominey 1841 - 1896 who married Leah Young in 1871 at Greenspond. Not sure if this is the John you seek. brentnalster@gmail.com