Author Topic: James Beatty of Co. Fermanagh  (Read 24232 times)

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Beatty of Co. Fermanagh
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 02 February 17 17:32 GMT (UK) »
The 1821 census survives for Aghalurcher parish

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nirfer/aghalurcher_cen_1.htm

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 02 February 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hey Hallmark and others,
I love you! This is fabulous! That daughter you unearthed who was 20 years younger than any other of James Beatty of Aghavoory's children (it hadn't occurred to me to look in C of I records for Presbyterian children!) - was SO much younger than any siblings known that I wondered if James had remarried. YES! he did! RootsIreland has the record of his remarriage in 1859. James Beattie, Farmer, of Aghavoory, WIDOWER, married Sarah Cooke of Aghavoory at Cavanaleck meeting house. AND, (you know what I'm going to say don't you :) The marriage being in the civil registration period,  gives the name of HIS father - Archibald Beatty, Farmer and takes my Beatty ancestors back a whole generation! Am a happy customer! Though I still might go to Ireland... Except I know now that the list of communicants at Cavanaleck won't give the name of my ggg grandmother which I'd been hoping. Oh well... THANKS! Off to write this all up on my blog now :) :)

You are welcome!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 02 February 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
The will of an Archibald Beatty of Farnamullen was probated 1839 in Clogher Diocese - there is (at least a partial) transcript of this will in the National Archives in Dublin

Archibald
Last name   Beatty
Year   1839
Address   Farnamullen
County   Fermanagh
Where grant proved   Clogher Diocese
Document type   Will
Document status   Abstract
Ref.no.   Crossle/Beatty/1/27
Record set   Index Of Irish Wills 1484-1858

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 02 February 17 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Registered deed that ties the Beattys of Farnamullan to Aghavoory through the marriage to Moore.

To the Reg'r app'd by Act of Parliament for Reg'g Deeds &c

A memorial of Articles of Marriage Settlement dated the twenty eight day of
July One thousand Seven hundred and ninety two made between Charles Beatty
and Archibald Beatty his son both of Farnamullen and Martha Moore the elder
of Aughasoorey in said County on the Intermarriage of the said Archibald
Beaty (sic) with Martha Moore daughter to the aforesaid Martha Moore in
consideration of fifty pounds as a marriage portion paid by the said Martha
Moore the elder the said Charles and Archibald Betty (sic) did grant bargain
sell assign and make over unto the said Martha Moore the younger and the
children of such marriage fifteen acres of the said Lands of Farnamullen
together with a proportional part of the turf bog ?? free and all rights of
renewal and also one house & tenement in the town of Lisbelaw in the County
of Fermanagh during the continuance of the Grand Leases thereof which Deed
is witnessed by James Moore of Aghavoory in the County of Fermanagh and this
memorial is witnessed by the said James Moore and John Martin of Augher in
the County of Tyrone Atty at Law. Archibald Beaty (Seal) Signed sealed and
executed in presence of James Moore, John Martin. The above named James
Moore maketh that he is a subs'g witness to the Deed whereof the above is a
memorial and that he saw the said Deed and this Mem'l duly executed by the
parties thereto and that the name James Moore sub'd as a witness to the said
Deed and this Memorial is said Deponents proper name and handwriting, Ja's
Moore. Sworn before me at Augher in the County of Tyrone this 31st day of
Dec'r 1793 a Com'r of the Exchequer for taking affed'ts in said Co'y & I
know the Deponents.

John Martin [Deed registered Feb. 7 1794]

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 02 February 17 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Will of Archibald Beatty of Farnamullen, written 15 March 1869.
The will was proved May 2, 1870. He mentions wife, Mary Beatty. Brother John Beatty received his farm in Farnamullen. Five children of John Beatty are mentioned as is a niece, Elizabeth Campbell. A
sister Martha Beatty and brother James Beatty are also mentioned. Nephew Thomas Graham, son of Charlotte Graham is a legatee. Henry Betty is a witness to the will and Samuel McCreery of Farnamullen is also mentioned in the will (he holds 6 pounds of Archibald Beatty's money).

http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=162906

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 02 February 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Just discovered this wonderful website for the surname Beatty.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bp2000/main.htm

http://www.natural-software.com/bp2000/crossle/crossleindex.php

Clogher Admon bond:
(142) Charlotte Beatty alias Scott, and James Scott, both of Fernamullan, psh of Cleenish, co. Fermanagh, and John Morrison of Aughadrumakan, psh of Aghalog, co. Monaghan, all in dio. Clogher, bound to John Bp of Clogher in £30, on 22 Sept 1817.  Condition of bond that sd Charlotte Beatty, alias Scott the daughter and legatee named in the will of Charles Beatty, decd, will faithfully admor.
Witness:  James Mitchell                                                                    [signed] Charlotte Beatty
                                                                                                                     James Scott
[Indorsed] Charles Beatty, Ternamilleen, Cleenish                                            John Morrison

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
  • The whole is the sum of all our pasts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 02 February 17 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gortinanima,
It's very kind of you to do this research on our family and much appreciated. We're aware of the tantalising connection between the Beattys of Farnamullan and Aghavoory, but even after wading through the Colebrooke Estate records at PRONI I have been unable to prove that the farmer Archibald Beatty who was the father of James Beatty of Aghavoory was the same person as the Archibald Beatty of Farnamullan who married Martha Moore of Aghavoory. It's maddening, as genetic testing indicates such a close relationship! I've given up in frustration for the time being - the latest is on my family history blog:

https://taggerty.wordpress.com/

My family is L-560 in the Beatty project you gave the link to. I should update our tree there as I put it up before I'd discovered James of Aghavoory.
Cheers.
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 03 February 17 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gortinanima,
It's very kind of you to do this research on our family and much appreciated. We're aware of the tantalising connection between the Beattys of Farnamullan and Aghavoory, but even after wading through the Colebrooke Estate records at PRONI I have been unable to prove that the farmer Archibald Beatty who was the father of James Beatty of Aghavoory was the same person as the Archibald Beatty of Farnamullan who married Martha Moore of Aghavoory. It's maddening, as genetic testing indicates such a close relationship! I've given up in frustration for the time being - the latest is on my family history blog:

https://taggerty.wordpress.com/

My family is L-560 in the Beatty project you gave the link to. I should update our tree there as I put it up before I'd discovered James of Aghavoory.
Cheers.

If you look at the will of Archibald Beatty of Farnamullan 1869 he had a brother named James Beatty.

I think that it is likely that this is your James Beatty (1805-1880). His daughter Matilda Beatty married William Robinson.

Matilda Robinson was witness to the death of her father James Beatty in 1880.

William Robinson was a witness to the marriage of Martha Beatty of Farnamullan (dau of John Beatty, farmer) to Alexander Corrothers in Enniskillen Methodist in 1871.

Seems likely to me that he was a witness to the marriage of his wife's cousin.

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
  • The whole is the sum of all our pasts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 03 February 17 07:35 GMT (UK) »
OK Gortinanima,
I'm trying not to get too excited as I really want to believe what you're saying. Yes, I know that Matilda, the daughter of James Beatty of Aghavoory married William Robinson. Yes, she was witness to her father's death, but (presumably according to the information Matilda Robinson provided) he died in 1873, aged 76, so would have been born in 1797. His death cert is on my blog (link below). Where did you get 1880 as his death? DOB 1797 doesn't quite fit with other sources known to descendants of the Farnamullan Beattys, who have James Beatty, their second son according to the order of Archibald's children, born c1807, despite his parents having married in 1792. Wouldn't you think that 1797 was the perfect date for the birth of a second son born to them?? Anyway, he was obviously still alive when his brother Archibald died in 1869, and only got a token amount in his younger brother's will. I'd like to think that's because James, the eldest surviving son was very well set up - at Aghavoory!
Please keep thinking! This could link two lineages in the Beatty project!
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.