Author Topic: James Beatty of Co. Fermanagh  (Read 24274 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Beatty of Co. Fermanagh
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 09:04 BST (UK) »
The son's wedding was in a Presbyterian church in Dublin, so, like all the others, our James Beatty was probably of Scottish origin.

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church, so if the 1873 marriage was in a Presbyterian church in Dublin that probably tells you more about her denomination than her husband’s. I’d keep an open mind on that issue. He could well be Church of Ireland. (The majority of Beatty/Beattie entries in the 1901 Fermanagh census are Church of Ireland).
Elwyn

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
  • The whole is the sum of all our pasts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn, Every clue can help, but we know much more about her family than his so far, C of I from county Sligo. They raised their children as C of E once they came to Melbourne, except that soon after arriving in 1878 James bought a burial plot in the Presbyterian section of the St. Kilda cemetery.
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcella,

I found an Archibald Beatty married to Jane Robinson 25 Jan 1861 at Sallaghy COI, Galloon, Fermanagh, his address is given as Crockerahoas, Galloon, his father James Beatty (Labourer). Jane's address given as Derrycorby, Galloon, father is William Robinson (Farmer). Both ages are shown as "Full". I can find no reference to any children of theirs in the Sallaghy Birth/Baptism register entries.

There are also references to Archy/Archibald Beatty's in the 1830-1844 Galloon parish registers one is married to Letitia Guy the other refers to an Eliza Guy. likely to be the same couple, married 3 Aug 1835 and some children shown. Also 2x mentions of James Beatty marriages one to Margt Armstrong on 28 5 1839, the other to Ellen Levingston on 24 9 1841, no children shown for either couple.

There are also over 50 Beatty names in the Gallooon OPR 1798-1830. Among them a burial for Elizabeth Beatty age 35 of Sligo, Co Sligo.

I know there are Beatty's scattered all over, but you never know if people post what they know, something may well match a small snippet of what you already know.

Good Luck

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 00:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rusty, I'm planning to strain my brain trying to tease out all the Beatty clues on a future visit to archives in Ireland. At the moment I'm busy writing up all I've learned about the Pagets for my website. My grandfather's name, Archibald, is probably one of the best clues we have as it certainly wasn't a Paget name, so I'll certainly follow up your suggestion later on.
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
In order to source this newspaper article, please supply ALL of the information below in an email to localstudies'at'leitrimcoco.ie

Bib #: 52959
LDR:    00000nam 22000255 4500
1000:    $a newsNM
900:    $a Roscommon and Leitrim Gazette
902:    $a 26 October 1833
903:    $a Above mentioned Re: marriage to Lord Crofton
904:    0 $a CROFTON LOUISA NEE PAGET DAUGHTER OF MARQUIS OF ANGLESEY
907:    $a 3 c4
--------------------------------

Bib #: 204626
900:    $a Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette
902:    $a 21 September 1833
903:    $a Above to Marry Lord Crofton
904:    0 $a PAGET LOUISA LADY G DAUGHTER OF MARQUIS OF ANGLESEY
907:    $a 3 c2
----------------------------------------------------

Bib #: 50462
900:    $a Roscommon & Lietrim Gazette
902:    $a 26 October 1833
903:    $a Above named married Lady Paget.
904:    0 $a Crofton Lord
907:    $a 3 c4
----------------------------------

They should send up to 6 items for free!

(Spelling and errors included in the above!)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 May 12 04:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark, Actually yes, that is my website you've linked to above, but you've reminded me that, now that I've written them up I should put the link to it more visibly on the thread under Mayo about the Pagets of Mayo.

Offline markallenr

• RootsChat Extra
  • My FH Blog: http://beattyarmstrong.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 03:14 BST (UK) »
I just left a comment on your amazing website!

The James Beatty I'm looking for was born Circa 1817, died 1888, is buried in Laghy Cemetery, and was apparently "Of Dublin" prior to his death, according to the headstone photo I have.

His father was William Beatty and his sister was Anne Beatty who married Wm. Armstrong in 1847.
You have so much great information, do you think that my James could be the father to your James? Please have a look at my family history blog & let me know if you think there's a connection:
http://beattyarmstrong.blogspot.com/
Mark R.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 13:07 BST (UK) »
Im interested in the comment made about a James Beatty swimming with Capt. Matthew Webb, the famous chap who swam the English Channel. Does anyone have a photo of this James Beatty?If you do please post it.