Author Topic: Tweeddale Books of Remembrance  (Read 5884 times)

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tweeddale Books of Remembrance
« on: Friday 21 October 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
I have been able to borrow and have now scanned and digitised volumes 3, 4 and 5, but I would really like to complete the exercise.

Does anyone know if volumes 1 and 2 have already been digitised or if there are copies that would be available for processing?

Alistair

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tweeddale Books of Remembrance
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 12 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Cramond bRIG.  Sorry I thought I had the early volume but i have the same as you volumes 4 and 5.
What I do have is the Peeplesshire roll of honour dated 1916 which list the daed and also those who joined up August 1914 to December 1915 printed by Allan Smyth Neidpath Press Peebles .It lists per village and town and gives their address and regiment and rank.   It also list the people in the Peblesshire Home Guard.
I found them both when clearing a family house in Walkerburn.
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 12 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Cramond bRIG.  Sorry I thought I had the early volume but i have the same as you volumes 4 and 5.
What I do have is the Peeplesshire roll of honour dated 1916 which list the daed and also those who joined up August 1914 to December 1915 printed by Allan Smyth Neidpath Press Peebles .It lists per village and town and gives their address and regiment and rank.   It also list the people in the Peblesshire Home Guard.
I found them both when clearing a family house in Walkerburn.
alan

Alan

I was recently able to borrow Volumes 1 & 2 and have now digitised them. I suspect much of what you have will be included in the 5 volumes I now have but I would be happy to compare the contents if you wish.

Alistair

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 12 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
In our local library we have (or at least we did have) a copy of the book by Dr Gunn, which has a photo of every man killed from Peebles and the surrounding villages.  I don't know if you have heard of Dr Gunn but he wrote a diary of his time as a doctor in Peebles which is so interesting to read. 
His book was out of respet for the men of the village.
If you would like me to I would be happy to go (when I have the chance)  and look at the book.  When I went to find my own relative in it I took a photo of the one on the book.

Another are you could look at it the local papers.  They are held at Hawick Heritage Hub.  Every day during the war, they would publish information about men who were killed, injured or home on leave.  I found 2 for my great granpa when he was injured and also the details of my Granny's cousin's death.
I'm not sure where you are but we are quite close to Peebles and hope to be visiting my Aunt there over the next week or two.
Caroline  :)
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 March 12 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Caroline

I have now digitised all 5 volumes of the books written by Dr Gunn. I imagine he must have included all the information he could glean from local newspapers as well as other sources.

As I live in Edinburgh, I was able to borrow volumes 1 & 2 on an inter-library loan.

Alistair

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 March 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Ok that's handy  :)

I was so glad Dr Gunn did it because we only had a photo of the soldier as a young boy so it was good to see a photo of him grown up.  We had no idea what happened to him, it was chance that I found the mention in the paper.  Which leaves us the one last piece of the puzzle - why did my granny not know that her cousin was killed in WW2?  Peebles is not a very large town? 
Well I'm glad you got the book ou were needing.
Caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow