Author Topic: Luddites and their Children  (Read 25207 times)

Offline YorkshireTyke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Luddites and their Children
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 January 13 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can put me on the trail of those Luddites who were arrested, but bailed/released. I have searched the 1812/13 newspapers, but can only find the names of those brought to trial. I live near York so can get in some time to check the prison calendars, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if I can find the names of those originally arrested, somewhere?

Am curious as my ancestors were weavers, clothiers, and cloth dressers in Halifax, Huddersfield and Longwood, at this time.
Surnames, (mainly Yorkshire): Ablett,  Alderson, Bellas, Bellerby, Bird, Boothman, Brown, Cleveland, Crabtree, Fisher, Golton, Hemingway,  Hepton, Heptonstall, Lister, Moses/Mosey, Roberts, Slingsby, Smith, Stephenson, Thompson, Varley - and many more!

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 January 13 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Cowgill's book about the York Trials, available in full here:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pjoIAAAAQAAJ&pg=PR1&dq=york+castle+trials+luddites&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sZ4GUYSzB5K00QXivoCQDQ&redir_esc=y

contains (pages 130-131) lists of those acquitted or not charged.

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline YorkshireTyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 28 January 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your prompt reply, Lesley. I'll go and look at it, now.
Surnames, (mainly Yorkshire): Ablett,  Alderson, Bellas, Bellerby, Bird, Boothman, Brown, Cleveland, Crabtree, Fisher, Golton, Hemingway,  Hepton, Heptonstall, Lister, Moses/Mosey, Roberts, Slingsby, Smith, Stephenson, Thompson, Varley - and many more!

Offline drewhowson

• RootsChat Member
  • GG Grandfather Frederick Riley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
This is a good blog on the Luddites, they are blogging in real time as the riots,trials and accusations occur.
they use the various online and offline resources that reported and recorded  the trial.
http://ludditebicentenary.blogspot.co.uk/

They are also in Twitter:  https://twitter.com/luddites200
@luddites200
I have been following them for a year now and have read most of the blog in real time.
I was interested in trying to tie Joseph Crowther into my family, but sadly i cannot find enough information and records to prove the link.
Regards,
Andy.
Howson, Yorkshire.                       Census Information crown Copyright
Pybus,Halifax Yorkshire.                   from   WWW. National Archives.gov.uk
Riley, Sowerby and Norland Yorkshire.
Gaukroger,Halifax Yorkshire.
Stansfield,Ripponden area Yorkshire

Offline YorkshireTyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Andy. Funny you should mention Crowther as my husband just this week found out one of his relatives married a Benjamin Crowther in the 1890s, whose family came from Sowerby. When I traced him back, I get his grandfather or grt grandfather (forget which), Thorp Crowther, (I know Thorp is also 'a name'), in Sowerby. I think Joseph C's dad's name was Richard, though. And can't as yet see if Thorp and Richard are related in any way. He was a Crowther from Sowerby, though and the only Yorkshireperson on my husband's entire tree!

My own family were clothiers, woollen weavers, and croppers in Halifax and Huddersfield at this time. One lot moved from Halifax to Huddersfield, somewhere between 1812 and 1819. Their names were Smith  (I have a Thomas Smith, as well but presumably no relation!  Mine was a 'Fancy Wool Manufacturer' at Longwood, nr Huddersfield, and a bit younger than 'the' Thomas Smith - mine was born 1799). And my weavers/cloth dressers were Listers and Crabtrees. Can't yet link them to anything Luddite related.  My Thomas Smith went into partnership with one of the Hansons, to start a mill at Longwood and I noticed from the 1813 newspapers, that one of the witnesses who gave an alibi for a Longroyd Bridge Luddite was a William Hanson.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Have been reading Andys link , thankyou,  to the Luddite bicentenary blog  too . A great read and so much info re ages , where of ect  .
Found some of the last words of the men quite poignant , " farewell lads " ! 
Looked into Nathan Hoyle of Skircoat but my Hoyles were of the Heptonstall/Wadsworth areas , so i don't think there will be a connection .
Most of the 14 men hung at York had children , some had upto 7 .
There must be thousands of descendents by  now .

Offline Nuisance.R

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 20:59 BST (UK) »
This is a bit after the event really, but I do have a question someone may be able to help with. My niece has been researching our tree and has recently sent me her findings. We have an ancestor named Elizabeth Lumb, born in Thornhill  in 1812 who was later married to George Scargill, also of Thornhill.  My niece has come up against a brick wall re Elizabeth's parentage. Whilst I know the name John Lumb is reasonably commonplace, as the dates and places match up, as well as knowing we come from a long line of colliers, it doesn't seem entirely fanciful to imagine that John and Hannah may be Elizabeth's parents. From an account of his experience of visiting the families of the Luddites, a Quaker states that Hannah Fisher was the mother of 5 children. Has anyone uncovered the names of Hannah and John's children yet?