Author Topic: Who was Jean Leighton Ritchie?  (Read 18153 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Who was Jean Leighton Ritchie?
« on: Sunday 23 October 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
Jean married Charles Henry Mytton in Brighton in 1909, and their daughter Jean was born in England in 1910.

In 1911 Charles H Mytton, 38, Chief Petty Officer Instructor RNVR, was living in Dundee with wife Jean, aged 24, born Dundee and daughter Jean W, aged 1, born England. They had two sons, Charles Henry Jr, born 1911 and George, born 1913, both in Dundee, and another daughter in Portsmouth in 1916.

Jean's marriage certificate gives har father's name as Thomas, occupation unknown. She died in 1944 in Warrington, aged 57.

However I have failed so far to find a convincing sighting of Jean in the 1891 or 1901 census, or a birth certificate.

Any suggestions?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Jean Leighton Ritchie?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
Gosh, Forfarian, she is hard to figure out isn't she  :-\ Hard to know whether she was a Ritchie or a Leighton and how her birth may have been registered...

Seen the mention/possibility of a bigamous marriage between her and Charles. A few possibillities on censuses but nothing that can connect back to anything  ???

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian,

I've been looking into this and I have a wee theory ...  which has an obvious hole in it ... but also has three very big coincidences that if it were in my tree I would be investigating!

I've seen the tree entitled 'Wallace-Lewis Family Tree' on Ancestry which contains the people and information that you have set out above as well as two other snippets 1) that Jean's father, Thomas, was a ' brass founder' (was this info on her death cert?) and 2) an address in Dennistoun, Glasgow for a 'Mrs Robertson' entitled 'parents or brothers contact address, last known address, 1940, from Eleanor May Mytton's (daughter of Jean) address book' ...

So I searched in the census for 'brass founders' named 'Thomas' in Dundee and found a 'Thomas Peggie Henderson' who had a daughter born in Dundee in 1886 named 'Jane Leighton Henderson' ... by the 1911 census Thomas has moved from Dundee and is living with a daughter in Dennistoun  ... another daughter married a Mr Robertson, also in Dennistoun ...

The family are at 19 Clepington St, Dundee in 1891 and 44 Cleghorn St, Dundee in 1901.

So close but no 'Ritchie' ... but maybe she was also married before she met Mr Mytton?  Food for thought for you hopefully! 

PM me your email address and I'll send you the original documents from SP if of interest. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 October 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
Clever you Gali  ;D Saw the start of threads, but couldn't follow them through as you have!

Monica  ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 October 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
I've been looking into this and I have a wee theory ...  which has an obvious hole in it ... but also has three very big coincidences that if it were in my tree I would be investigating!

I've seen the tree entitled 'Wallace-Lewis Family Tree' on Ancestry which contains the people and information that you have set out above as well as two other snippets 1) that Jean's father, Thomas, was a ' brass founder' (was this info on her death cert?) and 2) an address in Dennistoun, Glasgow for a 'Mrs Robertson' entitled 'parents or brothers contact address, last known address, 1940, from Eleanor May Mytton's (daughter of Jean) address book' ...

So I searched in the census for 'brass founders' named 'Thomas' in Dundee and found a 'Thomas Peggie Henderson' who had a daughter born in Dundee in 1886 named 'Jane Leighton Henderson' ... by the 1911 census Thomas has moved from Dundee and is living with a daughter in Dennistoun  ... another daughter married a Mr Robertson, also in Dennistoun ...

The family are at 19 Clepington St, Dundee in 1891 and 44 Cleghorn St, Dundee in 1901.

So close but no 'Ritchie' ... but maybe she was also married before she met Mr Mytton?  Food for thought for you hopefully! 

PM me your email address and I'll send you the original documents from SP if of interest. 

Thank you, Gali, that looks very interesting indeed. It isn't actually my tree, but still well worth investigating.

Jean died in England so there won't be anything on her death certificate about her father  >:(
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 October 11 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

I've just sent you the documents from SP.

I wonder where the 'brass founder' piece of info came from then if it wasn't on Jean's death cert and you say no father's occupation mentioned on the marriage cert?

Does the marriage cert give an address at time of marriage?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 October 11 21:14 BST (UK) »
I've just sent you the documents from SP.

Thank you!

I wonder where the 'brass founder' piece of info came from then if it wasn't on Jean's death cert and you say no father's occupation mentioned on the marriage cert?

She was married and died in England. I have asked her granddaughter, who actually has the marriage certificate, to tell mw what it says about Thomas' occupation. It won't be on her death certificate because it was an English death certificate, and they don't record parents' names, let alone occupations.

Does the marriage cert give an address at time of marriage?

Another question for her grandaughter.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 October 11 21:37 BST (UK) »
hi all  :)

found this 1881 census -
1 harriet street dundee
thomas henderson 38 brass founder b. kinghorn fife
ann henderson 34 wife b. auchtertool fife
john henderson 14 son b. kinglassie fife
mary henderson 10 daur. b. dundee forfar
peter henderson 12 son dundee forfar
elizabeth henderson 5 b. dundee forfar
janet henderson 3 daur. b. dundee forfar
thomas henderson 1 son b. dundee forfar

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 October 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks, ev.