Author Topic: Who was Jean Leighton Ritchie?  (Read 18150 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Jean Leighton Ritchie?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Were you able to trace Robert Ritchie/Smith b. 1904/5 on the 1911 census? 

No. There are too many Robert Smiths in the 1911 census to do it online. I was hoping I might get into Register House some day soon but that has now evaporated in the meantime.

Did  his mother remarry maybe?

She may have done. There doesn't seem to be a death in the SP index. I think she may have had Irish connections as her father's name was Sandford St Arnaud Warburton and there are two marriages of a man/men of that name in Belfast, both after the date of her parents' marriage. Her mother was Agnes Broomfield Smith.

George L Smith is easier. His father's name is hard to read but looks like Lowthe August Smith, and his mother was Mary Amelia Gill. There is a Lowther Augustine Smith married in Weymouth in 1856 to Mary Amelia Gill, then Mary Amelia Smith, aged 38, died in Portsea in 1872, then Lowther Augustus Smith married Rachel Luke in 1872 in Portsea, and died in 1889 in Alverstoke. George Lowther Smith was born in Stoke Damerel in 1870, so would have been exactly the age of Robert's father; and the birthplaces fit with Lowther Augustus Smith being a boatswain in the Royal Navy. However he doesn't seem to have died in Scotland.

Hope that you have been able to make some progress with Jean herself!

None at all. In fact I have no idea where to go from here, really.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I imagine that looking for Smiths in a census is rather overwhelming ... and expensive online! 

As for where to go with Jean, I've just been looking through my notes, my ideas were:

Did you ever see a copy of Jean's marriage certificate?  Did it contain an address at which she was living at the time of her marriage?  I wonder if there would be any mileage in contacting East Sussex County Archives? 

Any luck with linking Jean to the Jean Leighton Henderson born 1913 Dennistoun? 

Did you find out which maiden surname Jean used on the birth certificates of her children?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever see a copy of Jean's marriage certificate? 

Not yet, but I believe the friends for whom I am searching now have it available for me to see.

I wonder if there would be any mileage in contacting East Sussex County Archives?

Might be.

Any luck with linking Jean to the Jean Leighton Henderson born 1913 Dennistoun? 

That was also for Register House if/when I ever find time to go there  :-\

Did you find out which maiden surname Jean used on the birth certificates of her children?

No. I'll see if any of the family have those as well.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fiona Wallace

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 January 15 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Has anybody had any luck with Jean Leighton Ritchie yet? I am desperate to know more about her. I am doing some more digging through family members, but it's not looking too hopeful.

I can't believe that I am able trace ancestors in her husband's line back to the 1500s, but I cannot even locate her parents!

Fiona

BTW Those are her great grandchildren (about 15 years ago) in the photo I use!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 February 15 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Were you able to trace Robert Ritchie/Smith b. 1904/5 on the 1911 census?

Finally nailed Robert's birth certificate. He was born Robert Smith at 536 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow on 6 October 1906. His father's occupation was restaurateur and his parents' domicile was in High Street, South Queensferry. The birth was registered by Janet Smith, mother. Does that mean that she travelled to Glasgow without her husband for the birth? And if so, why?

However even with that information I have completely failed to find them in the 1911 census in Scotland, England or Wales. I have also failed to find the deaths of George Lowther Smith and Janet Broomfield Warburton or Smith.

I also found Robert's second marriage certificate. His second wife was the owner or manager of the Temperance Hotel in Ballater, which explains why he died there instead of Glasgow, where he had spent most of his life.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 March 16 08:49 GMT (UK) »
There's another thread with various coincidences of names. I can't find any connection so far, but with this story, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=722144.9

Offline bauplenut49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 September 19 07:17 BST (UK) »
Janet Ritchie Henderson married Robert Robertson 29th September 1922 at 93 Commercial Street Dundee. He was a Bachelor occupation Motor Hirer & she was a Spinster occupation Hospital Nurse. He was 33 years & she was 27 years old. His parents were William Robertson deceased a Shoemaker & Anne McInnes also deceased. Her parents were John Henderson Sawmill Worker & Mary Brownie. Unfortunately none of these people are related to my Jane Ritchie Henderson whose parents were Alexander Henderson & Jean/Jane McCrae Fawns.

Offline bauplenut49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Jane Ritchie Henderson ?
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 September 19 07:20 BST (UK) »
I know she was unmarried & still living in Dundee Xmas 1923.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 23 September 19 09:31 BST (UK) »
She was married in 1922 and then unmarried a year later?