Author Topic: Who was Jean Leighton Ritchie?  (Read 18149 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Jean Leighton Ritchie?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 12:24 BST (UK) »
Seen the mention/possibility of a bigamous marriage between her and Charles.

Charles married Florence Jane Strange in 1901. He petitioned for divorce in 1907. Florence Jane Strange or Mytton married William Arthur Mason in 1910. So that seems to rule out bigamy on Charles' part, at least!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline FionaJWallace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks to ag655 I have been alerted to this thread.  I am a grand daughter of Jean Leighton Ritchie.  (Wallace-Lewis family tree) My mother, Eleanor May Mytton, was the youngest of 4, and was born in Portsmouth in 1916.

My grandmother has also baffled me.  All I remember from my mother was that her mother was a Scot, and Glasgow seems to have figured somewhere.

This is the first I've heard of a petition for divorce from my grandfather re his first wife, and would be most interested in getting those details. 

I'd also be interested to know who started this thread and why.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 19:44 BST (UK) »
I'm the person who started this thread, and I've sent you a personal message with a fuller explanation.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline FionaJWallace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 19:52 BST (UK) »
Confused.  Forfarian is the same as ag655?

Fiona

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

Sorry to confuse you!  ag655 is my Ancestry username ... I 'used' some 'clues' from your tree so thought best to alert you to the fact! 

Offline FionaJWallace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 20:09 BST (UK) »
Dear All-on-this-thread

I am absolutely fascinated that people unrelated to me are researching my enigmatic grandmother.  Thank you all.  Perhaps the "Henderson" clue may be what we've all been looking for.

Best wishes
Fiona
(in very sunny Johannesburg, South Africa)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
Fiona, welcome to RootsChat  :)

You'll find RootsChat members a dedicated, curious, knowledgeable bunch! Enjoy your time here  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 11:22 GMT (UK) »
The mystery deepens.

I now have the details from the Register of Voters of the occupants of 176 Thomson Street, and they only muddy the waters more!

Robert Ritchie married Mary Henderson Robertson, niece of Jane Leighton Henderson, in 1930, so Robert Ritchie was the nephew-in-law of Jane Leighton Henderson. It looks as if he and his wife lived with his in-laws. His father-in-law died in 1944, his wife in 1945, and his mother moved out some time before her death in 1949. Robert too left 176 Thomson Street about that time.

However Robert's birth name wasn't Ritchie! His parents were George L Smith and Janet B Warburton, who were married in Edinburgh in 1898. Robert was born in 1904/5, no more than 5 years before Jean Leighton Ritchie was married. (I did check, and there is no death of a George Smith with other name Ritchie, so it doesn't look as if it was Robert's father who changed the family surname.)

This is doing my head in! Any ideas, anyone?

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Gosh, sounds difficult! 

Were you able to trace Robert Ritchie/Smith b. 1904/5 on the 1911 census?  Did  his mother remarry maybe? 

Hope that you have been able to make some progress with Jean herself!