Author Topic: Marco Polo 1852 MacDONALD-McKISSACK(MacISAAC)  (Read 6836 times)

Offline elderfuthark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marco Polo 1852 MacDONALD-McKISSACK(MacISAAC)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes Ros

these are the same people. A large group emigrated together. They maintained their history within families but not so much their connections with ech other.

cheers
Bill
Mary MacDonald bc 1839 to John MacDonald bc 1795 and Margaret nee mcKissack bc 1803

arrived Marco Polo 20 sep 1852 aboard Marco Polo from Moidart with parents 3 bro 2 sis

Ken McKenzie bc 1814 Inverness to John McKenzie and Catherine Ann nee Mackay

arrived 16 Oct 1852 aboard Miltiades from Ross County with wife and 6 children

Families of above in Scotland

Families in Australia - Victoria

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,
  It seems that an earlier group of McDonalds from Moidart settled in NSW in 1830's

The chain that binds : a history of certain McDonald familes of Moidart Scotland, including history of Scotland, their emigration to Australia in the late 1830s and the story of their pioneering settlement in the Nimmitabel District of the Monaro, with listings of the various McDonald family lines / by Malcolm C. McDonald in collaboration with Sister Ursula Smith and family members

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/8464833

I wonder why the Marco Polo emigrants didn't settle in the same area.

regards,
   Ros

Adding : And I see another group of McDonalds from Moidart went to Nova Scotia in 1810's

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline elderfuthark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 April 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Gday Ros

I am not sure why they went to different areas. The clan name covers people from Ross down to Ardnamurchan and Argyle - and further. So, unless they were close in some way, they would likely make arrangements without reference to each other.

Our mob from moidart certainly had close connections to many who went to PEI. I believe it became cheaper to go to Australia.

Bill
Mary MacDonald bc 1839 to John MacDonald bc 1795 and Margaret nee mcKissack bc 1803

arrived Marco Polo 20 sep 1852 aboard Marco Polo from Moidart with parents 3 bro 2 sis

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 April 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
G'day Bill :)

5 years down the track ... how is your research coming along?   

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline elderfuthark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 April 17 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros.

I have some more leads but no breakthrough going back earlier than about 1795. I that John MacDonald was born to Ronald MacDonald and Catherine nee Forbes in 1795. I know that Ronald was buried in 1845 and that he was born around 1757. I know that there was an uncle Donald MacDonald who lent money to Clanranald and gave money to the church. John married Margaret MacIsaac and had a brood of children with documented baptisms around Glenuig and they are in the censuses. John's brother Dugald became a priest and is documented in Nova Scotia. I think John had another brother who stayed and managed a "public house" or hotel similar at Acharacle. The 1810 emigration to NS probably involved people who knew them directly.

Any ideas?

Bill

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 April 17 05:44 BST (UK) »
John MacDonald was born to Ronald MacDonald and Catherine nee Forbes in 1795. I know that Ronald was buried in 1845 and that he was born around 1757. I know that there was an uncle Donald MacDonald who lent money to Clanranald and gave money to the church. John married Margaret MacIsaac and had a brood of children with documented baptisms around Glenuig and they are in the censuses. John's brother Dugald became a priest and is documented in Nova Scotia. I think John had another brother who stayed and managed a "public house" or hotel similar at Acharacle. The 1810 emigration to NS probably involved people who knew them directly.

Hi Bill,

Can you please share the names of those children in order of birth as this can be a help if the conventional naming pattern was used in naming their kids.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline elderfuthark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 April 17 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie

Ronald MacDonald married Catherine Forbes. Ronald had a brother Donald.

Their son, John (b ?1786 ?1795) married Margaret MacIsaac/MKesic (dau of John MacD/MacIsaac and Sarah MacDonald) in 1819/20.

Their issue:

1820 Donald (m. Flora MacPherson)
1821 Mary
1823 Anne (m. Ranald Mcinnes)
1825 Dougald (ordained priest 1849 went to Canada)
1826 Sarah
1826 Kate
1828 John (m. Anne MacIsaac/MacDonald)
1829 Alexander (m. Ann McCormack)
1831 Ronald
1834 Margaret
1836 Catherine (m. Charles Schellnack)
1838 Mary (m. William Bryant) us.
1841 James
1843 Sarah (m. James Jones)

This seems like a traditional cadence of naming. It would be helpful to know what the sequence reveals about uncles and grandparents.

Does this shed light on the previous generations?

Bill

Offline Costerfield McDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

New to the forum.  Google led me to the site whilst researching my family history (McDonald).  My road block is Margaret McKissack?  Wondering if posters on this subject have discovered anymore? 
Regards Geoff

Offline Costerfield McDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Bill, I need 3 messages it seems before I can post a pm reply.  do you have any photos of any old family members?  I know I went to a family reunion in the 70's, I thought it was at Bulla, Deep Creek, Victoria.  Celebrating a family wedding.

Regards Geoff